controlling moogerfoogers, mostly + CP201 vs software

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
JES

controlling moogerfoogers, mostly + CP201 vs software

Post by JES » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:53 am

Hi All,

I'm wondering about the virtues of a CP-201 as opposed to something like Expert Sleepers Silent Way for controlling moogerfoogers and other CV controllable pedals. I assume the CP eliminates latency issues (right?), which is a big thing, but I'm also wondering about it in a performance environment. For instance, could I somehow set it up to trigger my MP 101 (lo pass filter) from the key pressure of a synth that puts out MIDI, thereby more fully integrating the filter with the synth than if I have to use the envelope follower (and essentially putting an analog filter on the backend of a digital synth)? A lot of the MIDI-to-CV stuff seems geared at people using modulars or synths with a lot of CV I/O. The best on that end that I've got is a DSI mopho keyboard on the way (I know, this is the moog forum--I can like both, right?) which has CV in. I have no plans to go modular at the moment.

More likely, I will continue building my range of CV controllable pedals (I'm a bassist mostly doing avant garde stuff). You haven't lived until you've used a CV controllable distortion like the LAL Super Oscillo Fuzz with CV.

Since I have a compatible audio interface, I know the software path is much cheaper, but money is less of an issue than fun and ease-of-tweaking.

Any advice is appreciated.

EMwhite

Re: controlling moogerfoogers, mostly + CP201 vs software

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am

Hmmm... interesting one.

As you are likely aware, CP251 doesn't 'do' Midi. So it's CV only and that sort of reduces it's usefulness in any but a pure CV application.

MP201 on the other hand (note the "M") is a dynamite product and joins worlds by allowing for envelope generator which can be triggered by Midi Note on (I've done this to fire a CV for Filter cutoff on MF-101, but there isn't any provision that I know if to enable if velocity > some value, etc.

Maybe you'll get some feedback from Amos on this thread as to what is possible, what is in the works, etc. I know that he has a spreadsheet full of feature requests that he considers with each new revision of code. It's a heck of a device as it stands but can be made to be much more.

A few things I've done:

Used as clock master, and tweaked timing via Midi CC from a controller (across the room)
Programmed a Midi CC send to one of the buttons to set Tap Tempo on a remote Delay pedal
Enabled on/off settings on other Midi devices (via CC)
Used as bridge between Midi and CV for my Voyager Old School
Used to control MF-101 envelope triggered by Midi from my Little Phatty -> CV-out to FreqBox (3rd OSC with independant Envelope)
Convert from Midi-clock (from Drum machine) to LFO CV to pulse my Old School's Filter via LFO
Setup foot switches for Midi clock start-stop
It's also a bridge for Midi-USB for legacy devices that don't have USB (and my 2x2 Midi interface has been full for ages)
...and of course, used as expression pedal for Cutoff and Resonance on MF-101

(by no means a complete list.. am sure others can add to this)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!