Optimal connection between LP and DAW?

Everything Phatty.
smisk

Optimal connection between LP and DAW?

Post by smisk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm loving my newly purchased LP2, however, I'm wondering what the optimal form of connection is?

I have my LP2 connected to a EMU 0202 USB-soundcard via the line-in and using Ableton 8.1.4. But the audio is not as loud when routed through Ableton as when I have my headphones connected directly to the headphones out. When I play the Little Phatty with the headphones connected directly, it sounds so loud that the headphones begin to vibrate, but through Ableton it is like the sound has been "muffled". Even though the output is at its highest and I am using the Utility plug-in to gain the signal, it just doesn't sound as fat and loud.

I've tried connecting the LP to the soundcard via the headphones out and through that I can crank the volume a bit higher, but it begins to sound distorted and lacks the "phattiness".

Do you guys have any idea as to where the problem occurs?

How do you connect the LP to your DAW?

Cheers guys. I hope someone can help me.

EMwhite

Re: Optimal connection between LP and DAW?

Post by EMwhite » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 pm

I have a Mac and use Audio in (no Firewire or USB), but depending on your setup, some bit of gain may be required. And you are better off doing this outside of your interface unless it's super high-end.

Headphone output is a bit different than standard line out in that it's further amplified to drive the speakers in the headset. Trying to temper this is a bit like hooking an iPod headphone jack output into amplified speakers (vs. dock connector line-out). Headphone amps are often fairly simple and introduce some bit of noise, so further amplification or manipulation will only distort the signal further.

I have an inexpensive ($100) Yamaha MG10/2 in front of 1/2 of my home studio and a Behringer Eurorack Pro 16 in front of the other 1/2 and ultimately into my Mac Pro audio in. With each channel given the appropriate amount of gain PRIOR to going into the DAW, I get good dynamics. I do some slight EQ here also.

You'll see some of the newer mid-range (about $1000) mixing boards coming complete with Firewire or USB and with this will bring more controls INSIDE the DAW vs. outside. The high end stuff has DSPs onboard, the super high end has the best circuitry and algorithms available. All of the Firewire boxes like the venerable M-Audio Profire 610 have some controls creeping into or next to the DAW. The T.C. Electronics stuff looks really good on paper but the drivers are crap, unfortunately.

Back to your query, see how much success you have boosting the line-out signal slightly before entering the DAW. You are going to want to have unity. If you go wrong at this point, you don't have a hope of having good sound.

(I use Logic 8 btw)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

smisk

Post by smisk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:53 am

Thank you so much for your reply.

There is a small gain knob on my soundcard (EMU 0202), but it only does so much. It quickly begins to flash red when I gain the signal and begins sounding distorted.

Perhaps the solution is purchasing another soundcard with a sort of amplifier integrated?

Here's a picture of the soundcard:

I have the LP connected to the right channel.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I once had an EMU 0404... you should really think of upgrading. You can pick up a used motu piece for cheap(relatively), on e-bay. The pre-amps aren't very good (IMHO), and not much headroom. I'm using a mackie Onyx 400f currently, not a bad unit for the price.
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

smisk

Post by smisk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks man.

I guess I'll go looking for a new soundcard with a decent pre-amp :)

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am

HI,

I use a Presonus Firebox, this one has some loud pre-amps! Much harder then the internal moog headphone amp.

smisk

Post by smisk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:44 am

I think the Firebox is bit overkill for my small bedroom studio. Though, it is looking interested.

I think the Firebox Mobile or Focusrite Saffire 6 would be more suitable for my needs, as I'm only interested in connecting the LP2 and perhaps another synth in the future - maybe a mic also.

ZAGA

Post by ZAGA » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Hello ,it come down to the fact that you need a DI box between your LP and the interface,this will convert signal in balanced signal.
i use a motu ultralite,in channel 1 and 2 it has a DI box in built,phantom power and all the things,if i connect the LP to channel 1or 2 it sounds loud as the headphiones.if i connect it in any of the other channels the volume level goes down.
it comes to sort it out with a DI box like you are going to play bass guitar.
or get a quality interface is just few hundreds,definitely cheaper than the LP anyway.there is plenty of quality interfaces out there,the better you get the better you music will sound.

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 am

Hi.

I also connect my LP through an interface (a Line6 thing, though) with a plug-in into my DAW and I also noticed the difference in the level of signal. My workaround this is to disable whatever software-preamps/effects on the interface plugin and send the dry signal onto your DAW. I did also notice that the overall level is a bit higher in my Ableton Live than in Logic, but whatever... nothing too alarming.

I'm not familiar with that E-MU soundcard so if disabling your interface plugin doesn't work maybe you look at getting another. (sorry no suggestions but musicradar has more than enough info on that: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/tech)
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 pm

I run my LP into a Mackie mixer so I can both:
play through my PA speakers or
route the mix to my firewire audio interface to the computer for recording.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:49 pm

i have my phatty connected via an audio channel in, midi in/out and CV in via SilentWay
*no cv mods yet on phatty*

Cheers ;)

DL

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:24 pm

DeFrag wrote:I run my LP into a Mackie mixer so I can both:
play through my PA speakers or
route the mix to my firewire audio interface to the computer for recording.
This is what I'm planning to switch to in the coming weeks. Beats the hell out of a fasttrack pro.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.