Voyager with BBE Sonic max/ sonic stomp.. who's done it?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
nms

Voyager with BBE Sonic max/ sonic stomp.. who's done it?

Post by nms » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I just ordered a BBE 882i sonic maximizer to use in my mix out insert.. figured I'd go with the new tech over their old stuff and also have the versatility to process other stuff with it since it's dual mono and the stomp box is only single mono.

Has anyone got first hand experience with the 882i? I noticed the high process band control is set to 5khz while the old ones and sonic stomp are 10khz so I'd expect it'd sound a bit different. I'm curious on what they each do with the voyager.
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be

Just Me

Re: Voyager with BBE Sonic max/ sonic stomp.. who's done it?

Post by Just Me » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:00 pm

I've not used any of the new stuff, but have used a BBE Stinger pedal. It does do a job of bring out the bottom but also, the stompbox adds a lot of noise. I keep it but use it on my Bass guitar only.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:02 am

I use the Sonic Stomp w/ my Signature Edition. I haven't had any of the hardware updates done to it, so it's exactly the same as when I got it in January '03 (except it *does* have the latest OS...). Using the BBE in the mixer insert loop *really* opens up the sound, giving it a much better defined high end. I have the lo contour set to 3 and the process set to 7. As it says right on the box, "Restores punch, clarity, and definition to your tone." I thought my Voyager sounded great before, but the BBE is noticeably helpful, like a good mastering job. I demonstrated it the other day to a friend that also has a Voyager, and his jaw just about hit the floor. For well less than a hundred dollars, you really can't go wrong with it. :D

-andrew bunny

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Using the BBE Sonic Stomp in the Mix Out loop has been my Voyager 'Secret Weapon' for many years. The Sonic Stomp is a terrific little 'set and forget' sonic enhancer that's compact enough to fit in the well behind the Voyager (the empty area when the panel is raised), making it easy to incorporate the device into a stage setup. Makes an already great-sounding Voyager sound even better!

A 'must-have' accessory for all Voyager owners, IMHO.

:D

- Greg

nms

Post by nms » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm wondering if I should pick up a sonic stomp in addition to the 882i maximizer if they each affect diff top end bands. 5khz band enhancement should sound somewhat diff than the 10khz enhancement of the sonic stomp and older units.
Voyager RME | Virus Ti2 Polar | Juno 60 | EL8X Distressor | UBK Clariphonic | Lynx Hilo | Motu 828mk2 | Focal Twin6be

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I've personally not tried the BBE stomp box because it is quite expensive in Australia, but I have tried every exciter in current workstations and they are terrible. However the Behringer SE200 is quite impressive. My advice is that a good exciter has a startlingly good effect, but they are not all the same.

Cheers,
B
I've stopped talking now.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:31 am

Following GregAE's experience, I finally changed everything I tried (like Wooly Mammoth, etc.) for a Sonic Stomp, which is great to enhance low end and brilliance of the Voyager... It does not add the all the harmonics that I would (LP overload is definitely something I would have on Voyager) but still it brings MMV to life !
"There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides." O.Gillet

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 am

LivePsy wrote:I've personally not tried the BBE stomp box because it is quite expensive in Australia, but I have tried every exciter in current workstations and they are terrible. However the Behringer SE200 is quite impressive. My advice is that a good exciter has a startlingly good effect, but they are not all the same.

Cheers,
B
Since last posting, I've now gotten a BBE stomp box so I can compare it with the Behringer. They each produce a different effect which you may want to know. I've heard that the Behringer SE200 is a copy of the Boss SP-1 spectrum pedal. This adds a high frequency sine wave ringing on wave edges. You can control the level of the ringing and the frequency. It adds a sparkle but you don't hear a constant high frequency even though you can clearly see it in an oscilloscope. The BBE mangles the waveforms and exaggerates the edges and increases the high harmonics, optionally the low frequencies. The Voyager square sounds good on its own and on moderate settings the BBE somehow enhances it although the waveform no longer looks square at all.

My opinion after using both for a while is that the Behringer has a sameness about the sound which you may want to bypass sometimes. The BBE on moderate settings sounds better than the unprocessed Voyager and can be left in the back of the Voyager without thinking about it. Well worth the cost to improve your sound.

Some patches don't improve with an enhancer inserted but the ones that do sound a WHOLE lot better :D
I've stopped talking now.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 pm

LivePsy wrote: Since last posting, I've now gotten a BBE stomp box so I can compare it with the Behringer. They each produce a different effect which you may want to know. I've heard that the Behringer SE200 is a copy of the Boss SP-1 spectrum pedal. This adds a high frequency sine wave ringing on wave edges. You can control the level of the ringing and the frequency. It adds a sparkle but you don't hear a constant high frequency even though you can clearly see it in an oscilloscope. The BBE mangles the waveforms and exaggerates the edges and increases the high harmonics, optionally the low frequencies. The Voyager square sounds good on its own and on moderate settings the BBE somehow enhances it although the waveform no longer looks square at all.

My opinion after using both for a while is that the Behringer has a sameness about the sound which you may want to bypass sometimes. The BBE on moderate settings sounds better than the unprocessed Voyager and can be left in the back of the Voyager without thinking about it. Well worth the cost to improve your sound.

Some patches don't improve with an enhancer inserted but the ones that do sound a WHOLE lot better :D
Unfortunately. I've never had the opportunity to try the Behringer for comparison. Ditto the Aphex. Maybe one day though...

WRT to the BBE, however, I've also noticed that not every Voyager patch benefits, but when it does it often produces a dramatic improvement!

:D

- G

Moogsound

Post by Moogsound » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 am

I would like to order a BBE Sonic max/sonic ztomp for my Voyager Performer.
Is the 882i tha same as the max? Wich one is the best to us?

Is this the one?: http://www.musikpartner.dk/produkter3.a ... 64&id=1765

This says 482i

Any recomandations?

Kjell

nms

Post by nms » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I forget the differences but look them up on the BBE website and check the crossover points.