Controlling Doepfer modular with the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Jasperh

Controlling Doepfer modular with the Voyager

Post by Jasperh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Hiya,

Anyone doing this? I want to extend with a few modules, but I heard the Moog puts out a hot CV signal.

Will I fry Doepfer modules? Does anyone control their Doefper modular using the VX-351?

thanks

Jasper

c7sus

Re: Controlling Doepfer modular with the Voyager

Post by c7sus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Actually it's the other way around. Doepfer modules of the A-100 line have CV inputs/outputs from -12 volts to +12volts at full range.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:58 am

I've hooked a Doepfer Dark Energy module via MIDI onto the Voyager. It works great actually. Also I've combined the Etherwave plus Theremin via the analog CV and Gate connections of the Dark Energy successfully.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

Jasperh

Post by Jasperh » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Ah, so does that mean the Doepfer will fry the Voyager? Sorry to be dense - this is brave and exciting new world I'm journeying into. I expect my neighbours would be very glad if I messed up my Voyager. And my girlfriend.

But I'd be inconsolable, obviously!

thanks for your help

Jasper

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Nothing will fry. Don't be afraid to experiment.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

aranm

Post by aranm » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:51 pm

@ Klopfgeist - can you elaborate on your last comment. The voyagers are very precious and we wouldnt like to fry their little hearts...

Your profile pic looks very modular, can we have some details of your experiments?

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:54 am

The modular in the pic is sadly not mine, but Keith Emerson's.

I have 18u of eurorack at the moment. The voltages in eurorack are nowhere near large enough to harm the voyager, and I think I read that the Voyager is protected from larger voltages (I am NOT a moog technician nor is any of this an official statement) Don't be afraid to experiment by plugging in things in places you normally wouldn't put them in subtractive synthesis (i.e. audio rate modulation, envelopes controlling various things, processing voltage through effects like delay). Keep in mind some oscillators work at hz/oct such as the Metasonix R-54, and these will not track the voyager's keyboard voltage chromatically, and most if not all oscillators will go out of tune past a certain octave range, and will always need to be tuned.

Hope this helps :)
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 am

I never got bad experineces with my sound research activities... hmm- I've tried to extract "a voltage" from the rear multi pin connector at my Mini Moog D (suitable for ribbon controller power supply etc.) in order to controll it via a potentiometer and to guide the result into the CV oscillator input. The Mini Moog was dead after this attempt - I thought. But fortunately I just blown the fuse. What a relief!

So don't be afraid with experiments. It will expand your experience - by hook or by crook, it will!
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...