Mixing a Voyager with Analogue systems modular

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
aranm

Mixing a Voyager with Analogue systems modular

Post by aranm » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Hey all,

I've been thinking about getting some Analogue Systems modules to form a part of my setup and was wondering if anyone has any experience in mixing the Voyager (and a couple of moogerfoogers) with them.

The Control Voltages, are the two compatible? Can i plug any voyager or moogerfooger CV out into any Analogue Systems CV in (and vica-versa)? the analogue systems uses +-10V CV

Any comments most welcome...

Gorillafoxi

Re: Mixing a Voyager with Analogue systems modular

Post by Gorillafoxi » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey!

I've actually been working on a cross compatible synthesis system as well. As strong as having a Moog bank with MF's, Controll processor and Expander, and MP-201 clearly is it's always nice to have everything be able to "talk" to everything else. :)
Obviously, there are a few different ways that one could go about having an American synth play nicely with Euro Rack. A good start? Obviously, the VX-351 is a must for this set up. Now, sending voltages to a Euro Rack and getting them back to the Moogs? I think that the best bet (since we're setting up a Euro Rack anyways) is a unit called the Format Jumbler, made by MakeNoise. For fear of plugging up precious space that could be used talking about *the best synthesizers in the world* (ahem) I'll just say that a Google search on this little unit should be all you need. :)
So, again, VX-251, CP-251 (for good measure), and the MakeNoise Format Jumbler for the win. Don't forget your army or 1/4 and 3/4 patch cables as well!!! Have fun and tell me how it goes when you have the opportunity. If all goes well between setting the Moog and Analogue Systems modules with each other, I trust you won't be on the internet or leaving the house much. ;)
Cheers!

(Oh, any other ideas out there?)

aranm

Post by aranm » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for your input, I'll definately inform the forum of my adventures.

What is the purpose of the Format Jumbler? just to make connections easier between different jack sizes? or os there another purpose? (i know its a mult as well)

The most important question still remains whether moogs cv's are going to play happily with analogue systems cv's. Am i going to blow up my voyager if i try to interface the two? How much voltage can the voyager accept. analogue systems are +-10V, is moog only +-5V?

aranm

Post by aranm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, I got myself some analogue systems stuff and plugged it in to the voyager, it is all sweet.

I originally set out on this quest because I wanted another LFO, I had a look at the CP-251 and decided that I could get the same stuff at a cheaper price. I was dead wrong. That box is great value for money. If you already have the case and power supply for a eurorack system then you probably could, but I didn't. Anyway I ended up buying an Analogue Systems case and their RS85 LFO, a mult that converts between jack sizes and a tip top audio analog sequencer (http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z8k.php) It all runs smoothly with the voyager, the eurorack stuff allows itself to be controlled from the breakout box from the voyager and the voyager is happy to accept the input from the LFO and the sequencer. The only hassle is the difference in jack sizes.

Controlling the voyager from an analogue sequencer is the greatest fun I have had in years. I love using it to drive the filter in different steps. the drama with extending your system in this way is that now I need more :) As soon as i started using the sequencer to drive the voyager I realised I wanted to smooth the input so I needed a Slew module (the CP-251 has one of these as well) to get portamento effect ( i wish I could use the voyagers portamento on the Pitch CV input but this doesn't seem possible)

Anyway there are a heap of really cool modules on the market and now that I have the case and know you can plug them in to the moog stuff, damn there goes my wallet. As @Gorillafoxi said, I wont be leaving the house much.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 pm

I find it plays very well with MU format stuff! (It all started with one CP-215. This stuff is like crack for the ears!)
PICT0147.jpg
(Click on pic to see full size.)
(There has been a bunch added since this pic was taken.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 pm

So far so good! I'm assuming it'll be awhile before we hear from you again, hm? :) (Sorry about the delayed response. I have the response times of a potato salad.)