MIDIMoog problems

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
soundsubs

MIDIMoog problems

Post by soundsubs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:36 pm

hello gang in synth brothers and sisters--

i bought a midimoog yesterday (minimoog guts in a studio electronics shell) and its not working. ;(
i have tried everything i know in troubleshooting, and thought i would ask here if anyone had any ideas.
the unit powers up fine, or seems to since the power led is on. since it has no keyboard, it must be triggered via midi. on the front panel, its labelled "midi ch 3" which i have tried and tried, no worky. yes, i have tried all other channels and omni. nothing!
if i turn the a-440 switch on, i can hear that (out headphones and the line output)
running audio into the filter works as expected (OD led lights), but i cannot hear anything passing, other than a faint sound of the audio.
clicking the "dyn vca" switch makes a slight thump, but its very brief.
i have emailed a couple friends (and studio electronics) to see if theres anyone with any ideas.
there is only a Midi input, no thru like some others ive seen online. also, there is another jack going in, not sure if its cv/gate/trig or pedal input or what? its not labelled (there are hi, lo, filter inputs, then a 4th mystery one)

anyone have experience with this or thoughts?
i also cannot find a manual online.

thanks all!

---shane

latigid on

Re: MIDIMoog problems

Post by latigid on » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 pm

First, try ssetting the contour controls as attack 0 decay 10 sustain 10 and the filter to 10.

with an oscillator on obviously, full volume.

See if you can get sound out of the filter by putting it into self oscillation (emph = 10)

Try the headphones output also.

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:00 am

thanks for the reply.
that was the second thing i tried, put it into oscillation and triggering everything.
i get nothing at all.
probing the oscillator board and triggering it via midi, pitch isnt tracking, but oscillators are running and sound normal.
its almost as if the vca board is dead, or theres a bad power supply.
i also notice that the power led only comes on if i plug it straight into the wall; wont work with a power strip.

----shane

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Solved--- as it turns out, the place i bought it from didnt include the crucial piece--- the SE Midi converter. Although the jack on the back of the MIDIMOOG looks like a midi cable, its actually not. The first 10 or so of the MIDIMOOGS were using a Roland MPU101 converter, which was modified by SE and racked to go with it.

id love to get this modded to have all the midi/cv conversion inside still...

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 am

GLad you figured it out.. Now on to making great mini sounds!
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects