Let's create the ultimate synth together

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
kidgloves2

Let's create the ultimate synth together

Post by kidgloves2 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:52 am

I keep having visions of a polyphonic synth where everything is visible without the aid of editing/gui software. It could either be discrete or IC analog. It would have to have the capability of saving presets. Also NO MENUS! Everything right in front of you.

1)So I'm looking at pictures of the Jupiter 8...looking at the sliders. WHAT IF a synth was made with AUTOMATED SLIDERS? So with every preset, everything shifts?

2)Or how about an alternative to patch chords. Every in/out has a small knob with a number from 1-100 or whatever. You want oscililator 1 to go to an envelope? put the "out" knob on 1 and the "in" for the the envelope on 1. There...patched without a patch chord.

So much can be done with a DSI synth via software. I wish it all were on the front. I'm looking at the Tetra software right now. It could all be on a keyboard. I'm sick of needing software on the fly.

And before someone mentions cost...people would be willing to pay. I would. How much more could it reall cost? I doubt thousands.

Your turn. What ideas would you like to see?

analoghaze

Re: Let's create the ultimate synth together

Post by analoghaze » Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 am

kidgloves2 wrote:visions of a polyphonic synth ..... without the aid of editing/gui software..... NO MENUS! Everything right in front of you.

1)made with AUTOMATED SLIDERS?

2)Every in/out has a small knob with a number from 1-100

How much more could it really cost? I doubt thousands.

:mrgreen:

I don't see why Moog cannot make this for anything over $350.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

magnet

Post by magnet » Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 am

Since dreaming doesn't cost more than a certain dissatisfaction with your current gear...
An ultimate synth, to your personal tastes, would probably be best accomplished by hiring someone
to build you a bunch of modular components. Switches fail, and point to point wiring is a real time-
intensive method of construction. Unless you have time and years of assembly skills, and a deep pocket-
I can't see it feasible at all. But then, I'm over 50. :)

Others here have gone the route of crafting their own rack systems, and thankfully the market supports
the manufactures of rack parts, and all the electronics, etc. I haven't a clue what it would cost; maybe a second mortgage...

But it's a fine pastime to dream.
Luck to you !
Voyager PE/ Frostwave Fatcontroller Seq./ Korg Dw-8000/Little Phatty Tribute #188/Korg EX-8000/KP3-Kaoss Pad/ EH Deluxe Memory Man delay effect/Peavy KB-100 amp

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 am

Automated sliders would break more easily than knobs.
I'd go with a modern version of an EMS pin panel, like on the Vostok.
I personally am not in the market for a Moog poly, but i think around 4-4.5k would be a good price range, with a 2.5-5k rack model.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Mon May 10, 2010 7:05 am

I think an ergonimic and intuitive synth can be produced very cheap with today's technology!

The interface should be a big touch sensitive display which shows faders or knobs. I think this can be made for less then 3000 €, however i'm shure that this beast will not be build by moog.
http://www.psicolor.de

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 am

psicolor wrote:I think an ergonimic and intuitive synth can be produced very cheap with today's technology!

The interface should be a big touch sensitive display which shows faders or knobs. I think this can be made for less then 3000 €, however i'm shure that this beast will not be build by moog.

I absolutely hope that does not happen haha. You may as well buy a iPad, or wait for a bigger iPad to come out, haha.. Or a Lemur or something... It might as well be software if its lacking any real physical controls other than a touchscreen for digital input.

I totally want knobs. Motorized faders could be cool. But I like knobs. Buttons and switches are acceptable too within limit.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 am

Knobs are digital control on pretty much every polysynth anyway, yall. Its the nature of the beast

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue May 11, 2010 6:28 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
psicolor wrote:I think an ergonimic and intuitive synth can be produced very cheap with today's technology!

I absolutely hope that does not happen haha. You may as well buy a iPad, or wait for a bigger iPad to come out, haha.. Or a Lemur or something... It might as well be software if its lacking any real physical controls other than a touchscreen for digital input.

I totally want knobs. Motorized faders could be cool. But I like knobs. Buttons and switches are acceptable too within limit.

Too expensive. Look at the LP and T3 to see where the design ethos is probably headed.

While it's great having hands-on control for everything, a polysynth is usually programmed in advance. I'm speaking for myself, but I find it hard to tweak much more than the filter and a few envelope controls while playing full chords, and also other instruments. A different story for a monosynth where you're only playing with one hand.

That's why I'd advocate for an interactive display (I've said a couple times before, with visible CV/audio routing on-screen) with some dedicated and/or assignable knobs.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 pm

My only worry is in 20+ years, if I still like using my Tetra, will there be editing software for whatever operating systems at that time? Do these hardware synths with software editing have a shelf life?

You don't have to worry about that with an Oberheim OB-X or a Jupiter 8 etc.... If they still work, you can edit sounds no problem. Try getting inside a DSI tabletop synth without the software gui.

I want a DSI where everything is easily accessible without software.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:57 pm

I mean even the deep editing which is a pain on the front panel, yet easy in software. That is if it's possible without costing too much.

I would get a P8, but I love the sub-oscillators in the Tetra. I would polychain it, but I don't need 12 voices. It's overkill for me.

And how come DSI instruments don't have sine waves?

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 am

The voyager doesn't have sine waves. Sine waves are not really useful in subtractive synthesis, and triangle waves get the job done well.

As for interfaces, I really want to see a good synth with a touchscreen control interface, like the one on the Euphonix MC series of control surfaces.