Pitch Envelope on a Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
VeMan

Pitch Envelope on a Voyager

Post by VeMan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 pm

How do I program a pitch envelope on a Voyager??

I'm trying to get a sound that has a 2 octave sweep when you hit the note - like the opening sound on ELP's Hoedown. Currently our keyboardist is trying to do this with the glide switch, but that causes a glide to occur between both sounds, and requires two hands to pull off.

How do we set up a pitch envelope to cause the tone to respond to a slow Attack on a pitch envelope that sweeps up to the sustain point which is the 2-octave note??

Tha would require only one hand to play the bit letting the other hand play an organ part, while also driopping the 2nd glide down to the original note.

I'm new to this keyboard, but am familiar with basic synthesis concepts so any suggestions and instructions are appreciated

Klopfgeist

Re: Pitch Envelope on a Voyager

Post by Klopfgeist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Set up one of the modulation busses so the source is "on" and the shaping is filter envelope. Assign the destination to pitch and there you have it. You can put the filter envelope amount to zero if you don't want it to affect the filter.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:26 am

What he said will work great. Another way to do it (Though a bit more fiddly) is to put an EP-2 expression pedal on PITCH IN and adjust the toe position to be a 2 oct sweep. The you can sweep up and down with the foot pedal.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:05 am

Another more complicated thing to do is take an envelope out of the vx351 and put it into the cp251 mixer and mix it with lfo's, noise, or other voltage sources and send that to the pitch in Jack. That will give you really complex envelopes.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

VeMan

Post by VeMan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out the one using the filter envelope tonight.

V

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Hey Ve Man-

There are a couple other ways to get this sound. I was asked how to create this sound when the Voyager was first released, and back then, you had to ride the Glide On/Off switch - kind of difficult to do w/ the Hoedown riff.

Now, you have two choices - both require using some of the advanced functions in the edit mode.

1st, try using the POT MAPPING feature. In the EDIT Menu select POT MAPPING S/D item and press ENTER. Select SRC & DEST Map 1. For the Source, choose Key Pitch, for the Destination choose Glide Rate then for the Direction, normal and for the amount, set to 50%. Now turn Glide ON, and set the Glide Rate knob to somewhere around 4. I I remember correctly the sound glides up then snaps low - so play the lowest F, then the High C, then the Low F to try this out - it should be kind of close... Of course you have to tune Osc 2 to a tritone from Osc1.

2. Try one of the new legato Glide modes on OS 3.5. Mode # 3 (Glide to 2nd Only) will work. Turn on Glide, set Glide rate to ~5-6. IN EDIT MODE/ Glide Modes, select Glide mode 3. Then on Keyboard modes - select Last Note Priority. I can't remember in this sound if the envelopes are triggered on both the high and low note - if so in Trigger Modes set it to Multi trigger. Play the low note, then play the high note legato, the sound glides up, then play legato to the low note, the sound snaps back to the original pitch. Again - you have to tune Osc 2 to a tritone from Osc1.

These may sound arcane - but they are also a great introduction to the features "under the hood" of the Voyager in the Edit Menu. I think the most effective solution is #2 above. Your mileage may vary, as this is all from my memory of this hoedown sound - which may be a little foggy because - please don't beat me ;) - I didn't listen to ELP growing up... different strokes for different folks, right?

All right - thanks for listening - hope this helps
SD