yeah

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
willy026

yeah

Post by willy026 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 pm

yeah
Last edited by willy026 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

analogjo

Re: what is moog doing ?

Post by analogjo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:26 pm

hi,
my opinion is the same .... WHAT's GOING ON?
I'm an happy owner of several moog products, but now...I want more.

I'm lost in the moog strategy, like you willy.

For me, until moog will have not poly synth or modules for a real modular system, the catalog will stay uncomplete.

But I still believe in the moog compagny and I hope they will hear us...
Last edited by analogjo on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analogjo

Post by analogjo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:29 pm

And a Phatty RME will be a very good thing too :D

MoogMusicFan81

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:34 pm

A new polysynth should be in their cards, although, I have to say this: I'd prefer they do one combining the strengths of the Apollo/Polymoog and the Memorymoog Plus -- in an Apollo/Polymoog style chassis.

~Ben

MC

Post by MC » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Moog reissued the Taurus because the requests have been increasing since at least 2004. They had at least two polls during that time regarding Taurus.

Moog has been doing april fool pranks since 2005. I enjoy them. We humans have a concept called humor which is sometimes difficult for other species to understand. I recommend listening to early Bill Cosby or Monty Python as a primer.

Modulars? I think the total modulars built by moog in the years 1966-1983 are less than 300. Even by 1972 they were built to order by the custom shop because the demand shifted from modulars to minimoogs. Today it would not make economic sense for Moog to release a modular. One look at the price for a System 55 from Modusonics.com will tell you why.

Polyphonic - there's an interesting problem. One camp wants a bare bones poly at less than $2000, the other camp wants features that compete with the Andromeda. Frankly you can't satisfy both parties. No one knows what plans Moog has but when Bob was around he said they could build a polyphonic but they're not going to. That meant that the economics and market don't justify the project. Progress does progress though and there have been components recently available that could facilitate a reasonable polyphonic. Frankly I don't think it will be cheap but I would be very interested in a product.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 am

MC wrote:Moog reissued the Taurus because the requests have been increasing since at least 2004. They had at least two polls during that time regarding Taurus.

Moog has been doing april fool pranks since 2005. I enjoy them. We humans have a concept called humor which is sometimes difficult for other species to understand. I recommend listening to early Bill Cosby or Monty Python as a primer.

Modulars? I think the total modulars built by moog in the years 1966-1983 are less than 300. Even by 1972 they were built to order by the custom shop because the demand shifted from modulars to minimoogs. Today it would not make economic sense for Moog to release a modular. One look at the price for a System 55 from Modusonics.com will tell you why.

Polyphonic - there's an interesting problem. One camp wants a bare bones poly at less than $2000, the other camp wants features that compete with the Andromeda. Frankly you can't satisfy both parties. No one knows what plans Moog has but when Bob was around he said they could build a polyphonic but they're not going to. That meant that the economics and market don't justify the project. Progress does progress though and there have been components recently available that could facilitate a reasonable polyphonic. Frankly I don't think it will be cheap but I would be very interested in a product.
Quoted for truth. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Re: yeah

Post by peterkadar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 am

It may be heresy, but DSI have made a very good synth by using digitally generated LFOs and envelopes, while keeping the actual audio path 100% analog. Nobody would complain that the LFO's aren't fast enough, or that the env's aren't snappy enough.

Perhaps Moog could take a similar approach to keep costs down while still maintaining the classic Moog sound. That, and adopting the interface from the LP might make it more feasible.

Thoughts???

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am

I believe the LFOs in the Taurus and maybe LP are digital, as they can be sync'd to MIDI and tap tempo. So yes, probably an LF-DCO in there.

I guess with digital EGs you risk stepping ( ?)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm

latigid on wrote:I believe the LFOs in the Taurus and maybe LP are digital, as they can be sync'd to MIDI and tap tempo. So yes, probably an LF-DCO in there.

I guess with digital EGs you risk stepping ( ?)
The LFO's are digital in the LP, but not so sure of the ones in the Taurus. Anything's possible...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.