What do you use your Taurus 3 for?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Lux_Seeker

What do you use your Taurus 3 for?

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 pm

I have become a huge fan of Moog gear. I have a Voyager (which sounds great to me), w/expander, MP-201, CP-251 and lots of foogers. So when I saw that Moog had a limited edition remake of Taurus pedals I became interested for a few reasons.

First, and primary, I like the idea of having some strength behind chords to emphasize parts of songs when I want a strong presence of bass. My expectation would be to play the root note of a chord. I would love to know how people use their Taurus and what their impressions are of it? From what I read elsewhere it does seem to have the original sound and that is important to be. There are lots of ways I can create bass on my Korg M3 but there is nothing like anlogue and combined with my other CV ready equipment the CV ins on the Taurus also make it very desirable to me.

I also found the apppegiator/pseudo sequencer option also interesting although dissapointing at some level. I have been thinking about getting a sequencer although there are a number of ways for me to use my current equipment (such as the Radius built into my Korg M3). However, having a more powerful sequencere built into Moog gear with a MIDI out would have been a nice enhancement to the Taurus.

From reading the descriptions it appears that the appegiator/sequencer is limited. However, it would be nice if sequences could be saved and I was not sure if they could be done. Are they saved with the preset? Or perhaps not saved at all?

EricK

Re: What do you use your Taurus 3 for?

Post by EricK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Im still in the process of learning it, learning the Arpeggiator and things. I haven't gotten the hang of controlling it via the Voyager, but I also haven't had much time to sit down with the chart that Greg made and implement it.

Initially when I heard of the T3 release, I had thought that my ideal use would be a rackmount synth to be controlled by midi, that is probably what I would have preferred because for me, puting my feet on a synth or the Foogers doesn't set too well with me.

So far, Ive been sequencing the Taurus with Numerology with great results. Id like to get the fiull version so I could modulate the filter with it.

It also tracks very well and makes a great bottom end to the Voyager, very full sounding 5 osc sweetness.

I get the feeling though that this isn't going to be the last that we see of the T3. I forsee a stage edition or something of that nature.

I hope this answers any of your questions
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:27 pm

I was having great fun last night playing bass guitar and T3, with occasional Andromeda pads etc. I can see the pedal format is really going to work for me playing bass. Sure, only one octave, but you get some interesting lines sometimes, e.g. as one part ascends the T3 descends.

If you time your playing right, some very strong and punchy bass is possible. So, playing the same note on the bass and Taurus simultaneously will give a huge constructive waveform which seems much more powerful than the two parts played separately. Could just be a levels thing, I dunno.

It will be great when the sequencer gets written in, also perhaps patch-savable transpose? Or I should get off my a$$ and build a MIDIBox...

I can definitely still use the Voyager, as it does great bass also, but with a lot more control over the sound. And then all the other things the Voyager is good at.

Man, I'm happy with my gear :D

Stick_Player

Post by Stick_Player » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm mostly using it with my Alto Stick.

I have BOTH an Oxygen 8 and an RC-50 controlling the T3. I use the RC-50 for clocking and the Oxygen 8 to play chords for the T3 arpeggiator and to control a bunch of other parameters. Of course I use the foot pedals and footswitches, of the T3, as well.

Since my Stick has a MIDI pickup, I can go from totally synth to totally Stick to somewhere in between.

I can also mix in my electric upright and bass guitar with the T3. :D

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for the great responses. I really appreicate it. It's pretty clear to me that people have found a variety of ways to use the Taurus. I would see myself actually using it as a foot controller. I don't use my foogers that way (they are rack mounted), but playing the T3 and a chord a llead and a bass note on the T3 would be impossible and that is how I want to use it (or at least one of the ways).

I am also interested in the possiblity of saving sequences. I will have to look at the manual which I presume is downloadable. I can always use an external sequencer but I like the idea o being able to quickly sequence the T3 but without being able to have sequences, I am not sure how useful it would be.

I would not really use it as a line most of the time. I envision using it more lke pedals on an organ. I actually like the idea of using my feet for controlling the T3 and my MP 201. Funny things is the demos mostly have people using their hands to control the MP-201 as well. I can always clean the pedals.

Stick_Player

Post by Stick_Player » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:05 pm

I am also interested in the possiblity of saving sequences.
I'm have a great time just playing a chord (any voicing) on my Oxygen 8 that is connected to the T3. Of course when I use that method, I can play bass from the 'bass' side of the Stick. Then I can step on a T3 pedal for bass and chord with the Stick.

I use this device to merge my RC-50 AND Oxygen 8. I get the clock from the RC-50 and everything else from the Oxygen 8. Two In > One Out.

I am also incorporating the looping capability of the RC-50 with the 'melody' side of the Stick.

I have moments of interesting things going on when it's all working.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:13 pm

I also hope that in addition to bowel squeezing bass, that I'll be using the T3 to trigger samples and chords from my Korg M3 m while I'm busy with my hands. Also, I hope to use it for basic organ duties with my Nord.

Also, there are many shows where the MD asks me for a bit low Taurus type of drone to start off the show. Now I can say... OK!!!! :D

paulmcnamara

Post by paulmcnamara » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

As yet I have not received my T3 unit. I live in London England and have been advised that they will ship at the end of April. So not long now, but I guess it could be longer. Anyway to answer your question, I hope to use the Moog Taurus 3 pedals in my band, together with my role as bass player. For the last six years I have used a set of Roland PK5 midi pedals coupled with a Roland JV 1010 synth unit/vintage synth card: the closest I've been able to get to Moog pedals without actually having them. My band recorded an album last year (Sanctuary Rig, Khnosti; see itunes or http://www.sanctuaryrig.co.uk) and I was able to borrow a set of original Moog Taurus 1 pedals to good effect, (through the kindness of Andy Thompson at http://www.planetmellotron.com) So the T3 unit will replace the Roland and I am very excited about that. I also expect to use them to act as a midi trigger for other units etc., but initially to provide our band music with beautiful wallowing deep down Moog bass!