Amplifier do you use for your minimoog D or Voyager?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 am

Voltor07 wrote:The only 12" speaker in any amplifier that I know of that handles bass well is my own, hate to say
That is why I have an 18" speaker! :D
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:15 am

Klopfgeist wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:The only 12" speaker in any amplifier that I know of that handles bass well is my own, hate to say
That is why I have an 18" speaker! :D
Even professional 18's don't go near the frequencies I was pumping out earlier today...they just project more loudness. :wink: There's a reason I went through all the work I did to modify my amplifier, and that reason was because the lowest professional speaker I could find bottomed out at 31 Hz, and was a 21" Cerwin Vega. Of course, most people would be happy with this. My speaker is measurable at 15 Hz, and I am quite pleased. :twisted:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 am

There's an argument I'll never enter into. :)
You're going to have to talk about SPL, efficiency and flatness.
I'm out. :)
I will say that Cerwin-Vega and Gauss 18" speakers haven't always been known for their great efficiency though.
But if you have a 12" that pumps bass as you like it, doesn't exceed the cone excursion and can dissipate the heat, more power to you. :)

I myself use an old Carver M-400 Cube amplifier, slightly modded.
200 watts RMS into 8 ohms x 2.
The speakers are Carvin cabs with 15" JBLs and horns.
Passive crossovers.
Good for me because they're loud, fairly flat and make good stereo speakers too.

A good stereo makes a fine amplifier for a non-professional.
If you're just playing at home and have a decent stereo system, there's no reason to invest in a professional rig.
A mixer might prove more useful if you don't have one already.

EricK

Re: Amplifier do you use for your minimoog D or Voyager?

Post by EricK » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am

dagomoco wrote:Hi, i'm new in the forum, i want a Minimoog OS, which amplifier do you use for your minimoog?
Heres a link from the Taurus thread that I found about what is needed from a sub to pump out those low freqs.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/deepbass.html
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Niko

Post by Niko » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 am

I'm using an Ashdown Acoustic Radiator 1 for gigs and sessions with the MiniMoog Voyager. It has 100 Watts output which allows you to compete even with drummer interferences. The weight of 11kg makes it portable as well.
The sound is actually really good. It is not very cheap (approximately € 500.-) but it is a high quality product. Due to the low noise figure 2 of them may nice also at home to achieve a stereo amplification.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/acoustic/index.asp
Last edited by Niko on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 am

I use my Rhodes Suitcase amp. The later models are powerful enough for my needs, the earlier models are good enough for playing at home.

BTW I know a guy who owns a Moog Amp just like that only he also has the 4 large cabinets that it powers. Pretty impressive rig. He's got a Polymoog as well, but never gigs any of that, especially the Polymoog, because it is so temperamental. Actually I helped him get the Polymoog working when it wouldn't power up, I opened the lid and there was a loose connection near the power cord inside. Actually maybe he does gig with the Moog Amp, I haven't seen him play live for a few years now.

I don't mind the 12" speakers on the Rhodes cab. Maybe I haven't cranked it up too much. Ironically the Rhodes is what really shakes the Fender speakers when turned up, but I like that. It gives the sound some edge.

I also have an SVT 810 cab if I want to get a bass sound, and a pair of Carvin 15" wedges that have tweeters in 'em. But I rarely if ever use them. I haven't tried hooking it to the stereo, I've got some old JBL L100 3 way speakers and a pair of Norman Laboratories bookshelf speakers, but still I'm pretty good with the Rhodes suitcase amp. Sometimes the Mini will go through either an analog delay (Ibanez AD-230) or a harmonizer (Digitech Super Harmony Machine) and some more preamp gain is introduced through those units.

littleAngel89

Post by littleAngel89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

Hammy wrote:Two Roland KC-550s.
THanks for help.
It's really useful with me
[url="http://www.latestcouponcodes.com/Coupons/Alibris.com/"]Alibris key code[/url]

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 am

Ive run Moogs through the Rhodes cabinet, I really felt like the bass was way too much. THe Fender's Bass pumps out JUST ENOUGH I think to sound excellent through there.

Ive also run my Micro through the KC880 and I felt like the speakers were going to shatter with just a 1 osc sine wave.

I think for synthesizers that have a 20Hz to 20 KHz frequency responce, a PA is better suited to amplify it. Another reasoning behind that is that usually keyboard players have more than a single board.

Whatever you can afford though. The Roland amps are great, in my opinion for the Roland Keyboards, especially with the sub.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 am

I'm not going to pretend I know what would sound the best, I'm just answering the question, that is what I play my minimoog through, my Rhodes. I'm sure it has limitations.

I agree about a PA probably being ideal if the PA has all the frequency range covered with 18" Subwoofers, 15 or 12" Woofers and some midrange drivers and tweeter horns. The range of a synth is very wide and if you want the best sounds you'll try to get good bass amplification AND good higher end amplification for the filter nuances. That's why most keyboard amps have a tweeter and a midrange. Still, for smaller rooms a good stereo system would be great, or a proper DJ pair of PA speakers.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 am

I use a Peavey Combo 300 Bass amp and a pair of powered near field monitors for mids and highs for my setup. Works good for me. I'm sure there are better choices, but it's what I've had for a long time.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 am

you should use a tube amp head (more watts = more clean power). If you want to get down in the dirt, consider a 30-50 watt amp. If you never want a smidge of glorious tube drive on those sawtooth waves, go with something been 100-200 watts.

To go with that you'd want a cabinet of either full range speakers or an array of speakers with frequency crossovers. Think of a tower speaker you might have for your home stereo. My speakers have a 1" tweeter, something like a 5" midrange speaker and a 15" sub. Consider a cab with a tweeter, a 10" or 12" and a 15" Probably an additional speaker to make the speaker load something realistic that matches the amp (not many speakers can be combined in 3's to equal a normal amplifier impedence like 4 or 8 ohms).

And you should get out there and gig your Moog! Pair it with a Rhodes or baby B3 (or big one) and you'll get calls non-stop, probably from professionals, if your skills match your rig!
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 am

Do you guys record the ouput of your amps? I heard it can get very beefy but didn't try it myself.
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 am

unless the amp has a labeled "line out" jack, you shouldn't ever do that. If you were to try to feed the speaker out to something as if it were a line out, you would could very well be destroying your amplifier, as well as overloading the input device to point of destruction. PC sound cards could easily get fried that way.

Micing up speakers is generally the most natural and effective way to record an amp.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 am

I didn't phrase my question properly: what I wanted to ask was that if you use a mike to record the amp's output.

Sorry about the confusion.
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:46 am

no problem, I just re-read your post and realized that was probably what you were saying. If you have a tube amp and want to add some more delicious, analog warmth, and possibly spring reverb if the amp has that, miking up the amp is great. If you are just using a solid state amp to produce tones exactly as they were meant to be heard (in other words not coloring the sound, for better or worse, but usually tube amps color in good ways) then you might as well just record the thing direct.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251