Amplifier suggestions?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Bradster

Amplifier suggestions?

Post by Bradster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Howdy.

Anyone have any thoughts on small-ish combo amp that would handle the T3 but not endanger the fine china? I was wondering if a bass guitar combo would suffice. Not for stage use mind you, but just home studio environment.

Something like a Behringer Ultrabass BXL900 perhaps? 90W, 12" cone. Or the Kustom DE100-115 100W, 15" cone?

Thanks!

EMwhite

Re: Amplifier suggestions?

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Bradster wrote:Howdy.

Anyone have any thoughts on small-ish combo amp that would handle the T3 but not endanger the fine china? I was wondering if a bass guitar combo would suffice. Not for stage use mind you, but just home studio environment.

Something like a Behringer Ultrabass BXL900 perhaps? 90W, 12" cone. Or the Kustom DE100-115 100W, 15" cone?

Thanks!
I have an SWR WorkingPro 12 Bass Amp, it's 200W and does shake the walls, so go smaller. Check TalkBass.com or Harmony-Central.com or specifically http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp for reviews and you'll find something within your price/power range that fits the bill.

Brad

Post by Brad » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 am

I have the same question. I have a small home "studio" (perhaps 12'x12'). A Roland KC 150 provides ample amplification for my keyboards. I'd like something though with some more bass amplification for the T3 I have on order.
Voyager Performer, Taurus III, Etherwave Plus, MF 102, 104Z, 105, 107, CP 251, VX 351, Future Retro Revolution, DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard, Korg Triton Extreme, Hammond XK-1

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 am

Brad wrote:I have the same question. I have a small home "studio" (perhaps 12'x12'). A Roland KC 150 provides ample amplification for my keyboards. I'd like something though with some more bass amplification for the T3 I have on order.
The thing for me is that I was (and still am) happy with my SWR for just about everything but after seeing the "critical sound testing" video and that MarkBass (I think) driver pushing air like crazy, I though it would be best to get a 2nd Bass Amp so that the Taurus could have it's 'own'.

Someday I would like to get a set of good monitors but just don't have the dough right now.

Bradster

Post by Bradster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks EM.

So a bass guitar amp will work, but not quite give you the cone-pumping that the T3 can produce?

I would think a 15" cone would be better than a 12 for this purpose as the response is usually lower, with of course enough power to move some air without overdoing it.

The frustrating thing is that these bass amps that I'm looking at don't seem to disclose a frequency response. Even on the manufacture's sites.

Another option might be to use a studio monitor subwoofer, with our without a full-range monitor.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Bradster wrote:Thanks EM.

So a bass guitar amp will work, but not quite give you the cone-pumping that the T3 can produce?

I would think a 15" cone would be better than a 12 for this purpose as the response is usually lower, with of course enough power to move some air without overdoing it.

The frustrating thing is that these bass amps that I'm looking at don't seem to disclose a frequency response. Even on the manufacture's sites.

Another option might be to use a studio monitor subwoofer, with our without a full-range monitor.
Actually, a Bass amp is indeed what you need as they are tuned to push a) low frequencies and b) the hi wattage and heavy coil of a 12, 15, or (dare I say) 18") cone. But be sure to get something with a good horn/tweeter and not a piezo if you can help it. (ie. the MarkBass Jeff Berlin 15 moves some serious air but has no tweeter whatsoever).

Most of what the Taurus pumps out is in the mid-low to very-low range but if you are interested in resonant filter sounds and sweeps, etc. that will obviously be closer to the mid-upper register.

Don't get too hung up on buying something that can dip below the 30hz register. I've seen lots written here about a requirement for 20hz here. I have a high end Bass amp in addition to my SWR Combo 12 and believe me, the house shakes (china across the house, pictures on the wall, etc.) way before I would notice that I'm not accurately reproducing something that I should hear at 22 hz. Just my opinion on the subject, I'm not a PhD, however.

Stick_Player

Post by Stick_Player » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 pm

It's NOT the speaker size (i. e., 10, 12, 15, 18, 21 inches) it's ALL about the cabinet design.

Here is a cab that has TWELVE 5 inch speakers. Stands about 2 1/2 feet tall. Weighs about 70 lbs. Can handle 600 watts at 6 ohms. Frequency range from 23Hz - 15KHz. Sensitivity is 101dB/W/M.

At 600 watts that's over 128 dB. Unless they are lying about the specs. It's a bit pricey - $1,395.00. :shock:

Phil Jones

Based SOLELY on the specs, this would make a fine speaker cabinet for the T3.

Having said all that, I am playing the T3 into a Rane MLM 42s line mixer (I also have a Yamaha BB5000 bass guitar, Steinberger NXT Electric Upright and Chapman Stick, bass side, into the other 3 channels). The Rane is routed into the power amp section of a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II (bi-amp 480 + 50 watts). I have a custom speaker cabinet with one 15", two 10" and one horn. The horn really brings out the high end frequencies of the T3 - especially when the filter is opened up.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:46 am

Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:28 am

I have one of these puppies and the Voyager makes the walls shake and pictures in other rooms fall down. Can't wait to unleash the Taurus on the neighbors!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s ... ct=SBR1018
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:15 pm

MC wrote:{Image of a Barbetta Sona 31}
I have owned a pair of Sona 31 self-powered speakers for a about 13 years.

Nothing else has given me as much power with as much portability.

I'm still surprised at how much bass they can pump out. In fact I usually
keep the Bass EQ knob 1/4 down from the detent.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
MC wrote:{Image of a Barbetta Sona 31}
I have owned a pair of Sona 31 self-powered speakers for a about 13 years.

Nothing else has given me as much power with as much portability.

I'm still surprised at how much bass they can pump out. In fact I usually
keep the Bass EQ knob 1/4 down from the detent.
Hmm...while I'm sure they sound good, the frequency response is sadly lacking in the low end...41 Hz? For me, that's not low enough...but I'm also insane, so... :P
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 am

They defy physics.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am

Seriously. It's a deceptive package, they sound bigger than they look.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Voltor07 wrote:...the frequency response is sadly lacking in the low end.
Actually try one, then comment again.
You'll understand afterwards.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:22 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:...the frequency response is sadly lacking in the low end.
Actually try one, then comment again.
You'll understand afterwards.
41Hz is 41Hz...it doesn't matter how BIG it sounds. Bose pulls the same deception. I would like to hear a Taurus III through one...but I won't be buying one anytime soon. Does Sweetwater do rentals?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.