"Glitches" anyone

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Thebullsback

"Glitches" anyone

Post by Thebullsback » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 pm

The Taurus has been bitter sweet. The Day after receiving I discovered "ghosts in the machine", the preset light turns red on it's own when not editing. I parked the control wheel to max as per Amos at Moog that worked. This happened twice... While trying the Arp all controls locked up, pressed every button.... didn’t work. I had to turn it off to make it stop. :?

I go into master menu to turn lights from LFO to ON, they go solid. But When I turn the unit off and then on the next day... the lights are pulsating, but setting shows ON. To work around this ( FW LIGHTS) i turn the value knob off then on each time i power up. On the sweet side they nailed the original Taurus sound and it's just an absolutely beautiful instrument with great features. I hope the firmware updates resolves these bugs.
Last edited by Thebullsback on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opal gann

Post by opal gann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:13 pm

I also have had a few glitches...when bouncing around on the pedals with my feet as I do when I play (I learned on console organs) the D pedal note gets stuck on...other notes will play, but always return to D...turning the machine off solved the problem...It's happened at least three times...I then reset the whole thing to factory and it hasn't happened again...

I have had the whole thing freeze up on me as well...similar to your situation...(While trying the Arp all controls locked up, pressed every button.... didn’t work. I had to turn it off to make it stop.)

Haven't had any problems since the reset...Let's hope it stays that way...

Despite all this,I STILL LOVE THIS MACHINE...

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

You know, if it was a computer it would sound like a RAM problem, you know? Like the ARP is like having too many windows open on your pc and everything gets blitzed out.

Problems like this will get worked out.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:55 pm

I've had two that I cannot quite chase down yet and one that I have.

The one I have has to do with letting an ARP run (such as on bank G). If you start the patch with the Control wheel in 'south of half way', normally the OFF position, the ARP runs happily but enough vibration will eventually creep into the chassis to make the Taurus think that you moved the wheel ever so slightly enough to register that you want the ARP OFF instead of ON.

So, more tolerance in detecting a movement of the CONTROL wheel would be helpful (maybe tolerance in movement of 10% instead of what is likely <1 %.) and this would only be required when moved from a steady state (ie. no movement after a few seconds). I suppose the other option is to merely ensure that the wheel is always up.

Another approach might be to require that the wheel be 'homed' to the up position before it's moved south of half way to off position when it is desirable to turn it off. (the argument/preference of behavior with respect to pot scanning mode on the LP comes into the discussion here).

The one I can't figure out is the 'lock up' when it will react to buttons pressed but fails to play any sound. Having just rec'd the Taurus yesterday, I'm still trying to figure our when this happens or if it's just me.

A third is an apparent anomaly in the pedal scanning or volume envelope triggering when the Arp is running. I have it slaved to an external clock. If you choose a patch that has latch and transpose like on G2:BullAcidTest and step on pedals repeatedly to transpose the arpeggio, you'll find that it's possible (if your timing isn't absolutely perfect) to cut short either the volume env of a note or the decay (not sure which).

Granted, the ARP is way better than on the Little Phatty but I'm either doing something wrong here setting wise or there is an issue.

I'll continue to play with this and post if I find something.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Mine has a glitch. I'll play a scale up the pedalboard and I run out of notes. I need more notes.

It's friday - laugh.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Mitchell Chastain

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Sometimes the cutoff frequency drops down all by itself!

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Yep -- that's happened to me, too.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Arp occasionally locks up, arp occasionally turns off by itself, LFO patches sometimes don't have LFO working - re-powering usually fixes, but most frustrating, however, is encoder knob works & clicks firmly from 9 o' clock to 3 o' clock positions, but will not click & sometimes will not work at all at other positions - very frustrating when naming patches & navigating sub-menus. Encoder on my Little Phatty has same issue, but not nearly as pronounced.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 pm

superd2112 wrote:Arp occasionally locks up, arp occasionally turns off by itself, LFO patches sometimes don't have LFO working - re-powering usually fixes, but most frustrating, however, is encoder knob works & clicks firmly from 9 o' clock to 3 o' clock positions, but will not click & sometimes will not work at all at other positions - very frustrating when naming patches & navigating sub-menus. Encoder on my Little Phatty has same issue, but not nearly as pronounced.
On the ARP turning itself off, you should really pay attention to the position of the right wheel, at least that's what I found, I've left ARP running for hours at a time and it works consistently for me now.

But when it was in what would normally be the OFF position, vibration from 500 watts pushing a 15" cabinet must just have vibrated the T3 enough to have the software sense movement in the encoder on the wheel. Think about it, it's 4096 steps of resoution across <180 degrees of a wheel.

But yes, the T3 and LP have alot in common, controls, display, menus, obviously some bits of the code. Part of being a v1.0 subscriber; but as others have said, I'd rather deal with and work around/help troubleshoot these annoyances than not have the T3 !! But then again, I'm not in a live situation like you are. Hopefully your basic use of the T3 (ie. no Arp, no fancy tweaking while playing live) is working for you.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 pm

This is true about the vibrations. Yesterday at rehearsal, I noticed the vibrations from the T3 were causing patch cables in my effects board to come loose.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 am

EMwhite wrote:
On the ARP turning itself off, you should really pay attention to the position of the right wheel, at least that's what I found...

I'd rather deal with and work around/help troubleshoot these annoyances than not have the T3 !! But then again, I'm not in a live situation like you are. Hopefully your basic use of the T3 (ie. no Arp, no fancy tweaking while playing live) is working for you.
It may indeed be vibrations moving the wheel enough to stop the arp - I do tend to play 'em loud, and the wheel has loostened up a bit from use. This may lead to the need for owners to crack open the case every once in a while to tighten up the control wheel - the modern equalivent of "cleaning the contacts" on the old MK-1s.

Yes, I agree - these very minor things are far outweighed by the monsterous sound this bad boy produces.

As far as live use goes, my only 3 issues are the non-spec functioning of the octave footswitch (eventually to be resolved in a f.w. revision), the Analog Mode/track mode not working yet (also to be resolved in f.w.), and my personal pet peeve, the lack of a " hold patch change until next triggered note" feature. True, this was never in the design spec, and I've yet to hear any fellow owners express my same level of desire for it, but it continues to be an issue for me. I guess I just got accustomed to having this capability on my PK-5/JP-8000 digi-taurus setup. Amos thinks he may have a solution, but he also stated it may or may not be feasible. I'm just glad he is looking into it - thats very cool of him to show that level of care for his customers.

Bottom line - The Taurus 3 are awesome, and they have exceeded all of my expectations. I plan on playing them for the rest of my life, and they will always be a part of my sound & soul.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm

hey guys -
sorry for the glitches but I have great news!
All the things you are describing so far are bugs in the early firmware, which we've found and fixed.
There is an update coming very soon - I'll probably post it early next week. We're testing everything now; we're planning another day of full production testing on Monday and then if everything looks good we'll call it the official firmware v1.1 release.

Fixed the foot wheel updating by itself problem, fixed an extensive number of note stack and arpeggiator issues that could cause locking up.. it's just much more solid and reliable now. Added a couple of feature improvements, too.

Thanks to all of you for your patience... I think you're really going to like the update. We'll continue to improve the Taurus until it's as good as we can make it.

Cheers,

Amos

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 am

I caught a glitch on camera. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGq-Nf2TQg
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:51 am

Im sure the newly built units will have the new os installed.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 am

EricK wrote:Im sure the newly built units will have the new os installed.
Lucky for you, anyway. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.