Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:37 am

peterkadar wrote:My LP doesn't have the latest OS as it's a Tribute model that would need the memory upgrade, but as it is right now, it works GREAT, sounds great, and does everything I need a synth in that price range to do. For anything else, you can always try to find a RME Voyager... sometimes used ones come up for great prices...
Yes they do! I can attest to that!
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 am

I should've added... I got my RME used from a friend for 200$ more than my LP.. minus the 7 banks, but still a great deal I think... but even with that, I'd never give up my LP... As soon as I started learning he Voyager, I instantly could tell a difference in the sounds.. They are 2 seperate beasts in my eyes, and I utilize them both differently.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

nikola

Post by nikola » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:27 am

anoteoftruth wrote:I should've added... I got my RME used from a friend for 200$ more than my LP.. minus the 7 banks, but still a great deal I think... but even with that, I'd never give up my LP... As soon as I started learning he Voyager, I instantly could tell a difference in the sounds.. They are 2 seperate beasts in my eyes, and I utilize them both differently.
hi anoteoftruth!

what is the difference in your opinion?

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 am

imo... I find the sound from the LP a little bit more raw, a little big fatter.

Not to say the RME can't get fat, it can... huge.. The Voyager is a monster.. but I found usually, if I am looking for a bassline with just 2 OSC's, I almost always use my LP now. It's hard to describe it... Some people say its a subtle difference, but to me it's not subtle at all when I listen to it through my monitors.

Plus the LP has the Overload option... which can make it really big/strong.

nikola

Post by nikola » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 am

anoteoftruth wrote:imo... I find the sound from the LP a little bit more raw, a little big fatter.

Not to say the RME can't get fat, it can... huge.. The Voyager is a monster.. but I found usually, if I am looking for a bassline with just 2 OSC's, I almost always use my LP now. It's hard to describe it... Some people say its a subtle difference, but to me it's not subtle at all when I listen to it through my monitors.

Plus the LP has the Overload option... which can make it really big/strong.
so you are saying the little phatty have appropriate name after all ? :)

good to know. thank you anoteoftruth!

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Had mine for just over a month now, and there are only 2 things I wish it had - a 2nd LFO, and an on-board noise source.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm

superd2112 wrote:Had mine for just over a month now, and there are only 2 things I wish it had - a 2nd LFO, and an on-board noise source.
Add CP-251, problem solved. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
superd2112 wrote:Had mine for just over a month now, and there are only 2 things I wish it had - a 2nd LFO, and an on-board noise source.
Add CP-251, problem solved. :)
Garrgh!! You're right! I need a CP-251, an MP-201, and may as well get the CV out mod done while I'm at it. Just need to let the bank account recover 1st - got the bill for my Taurus 3s and the Phatty within the same month, and its been less than 3 months since I bought my Prophet '08 - doh! Oh well, I'll be all set until Moog announces that they are building a poly synth, & then it all starts over again... :lol:

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

superd2112 wrote: its been less than 3 months since I bought my Prophet '08 - doh! Oh well, I'll be all set until Moog announces that they are building a poly synth, & then it all starts over again... :lol:

I feel ya brother. I was looking at the Prophet 08, but I'm holding out for a while to see if anything stirs up from Moog. I know people have been talking/asking/begging/wishing for it for a while... but I have a feeling that a Poly is next...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:
superd2112 wrote: its been less than 3 months since I bought my Prophet '08 - doh! Oh well, I'll be all set until Moog announces that they are building a poly synth, & then it all starts over again... :lol:

I feel ya brother. I was looking at the Prophet 08, but I'm holding out for a while to see if anything stirs up from Moog. I know people have been talking/asking/begging/wishing for it for a while... but I have a feeling that a Poly is next...
I 2nd that. Was about to buy a Pr '08 Pot, blew the cash on a new Amp instead. I needed one anyway but was procrastinating, hoping for something from Moog. If I was bet, it would be a 'test the waters' approach similar to how the Taurus came to be... which would be fine with me.

-Mike W. from NJ

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm

MikeWfromNJ wrote: If I was bet, it would be a 'test the waters' approach similar to how the Taurus came to be... which would be fine with me.
That'd be fine with me too... and not to mention, for the amount of people that quickly jumped on a foot pedal synth... I can only imagine even a tease of a poly would cause swarms.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:09 am

"Test the waters" works for me as well - I saved a good chunk 'o change by pre-ordering my Taurus early on, & will most assuredly do so again if the good folks at Moog ever offer a poly synth.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:17 am

Are we suggesting that the LP Stage III should be a polysynth? If so, I'm all for a "test the waters" approach. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 am

Voltor07 wrote:
LektroiD wrote:Forget the Stage 3, re-release the Rogue & Prodigy!
How about, ummm...no. The Little Phatty comes very close to the sound of those synths. It would be absolutely redundant to re-release those. And yes, I am aware that close is not exact, but come on...let's be reasonable about this. :)
My Rogue had a completely different sound to the Phatty. Have you ever heard them side by side? Very different sound.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 am

Voltor07 wrote:Are we suggesting that the LP Stage III should be a polysynth? If so, I'm all for a "test the waters" approach. :D
Polyphony would mean omitting the pitch CV input, I guess that's no biggie though.