MFB Step64 & LP Tribute

Everything Phatty.
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

MFB Step64 & LP Tribute

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 am

Hi

I've just received my MFB Step 64 Sequencer. As a guitarist up to now I only used my MP-201 as a LFO-source to controll my moogerfoogers and seldomly to do frequency modulations on my LP Tribute. Therefore I have no idea how to set up the MP-201 and what connections to patch in order to let the sequencer play my LP Tribute.
I guess asking and finding out the proper way to do it is best, so could anyone give me a short instruction on this?

Thanks
Michael

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:09 pm

you don't need the mp201 to let the step64 controll the LP.

you can connect the step64 directly to the LP either via midi or CV/Gate jacks. I recently sold a step64, but i used it to control my voyager old school via CV/Gate jacks.

here's how to get it to control your LP...

step64 power off
power up in playback mode 1 - hold step 1 while powering on
power off again
power up in 5V gate mode - hold step 9 while powering up
power off again.
power up in +V gate mode - hold step 11 while powering up

ok...now, assuming you don't change any of the gate modes, you won't have to fool with pressing steps 9 and 11 while powering up ever again. you will be changing the playback mode to access all the features, so get used to doing that.

how are your step64 CV/Gate plugs labeled? probably not as described in the manual...i forget which ones correspond to numbered/colored CV/Gate plugs described in the manual. Try "Audio In L" first on each cable set and see if you get any sound produced. If not, move on to the next pair until you find the correct pair corresponding to CV1/Gate1. and write down what you discover.

you should be able to play prerecorded sequences now....read through the manual and try to modify and save sequences.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi acorkos

Thanks a lot! My cables are labled "Audio In" and "Audio Out" each once in red once in white. The white "Audio Out" ones did the job for me.

I'm already enjoying the sound of my own sequence ;-) Thanks!

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Unfortunatly the tuning seems to be an issue. I only just realized when I experienced a bit of a shock when I tried to play guitar chords over the sequence. The whole sequence seems of tune. Is that to do with the fact that the pitch CV ranges from -5 to +5 volt? Would sending MIDI from the MFB to the MP-201 and then using the CV out of the MP-201 solve the issue?

Thanks again!

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:06 pm

glad to help

something else you can try is slaving the step64 from your mp201's clock via midi, if you want to match other foogers' tempos controlled by the mp201. you toggle between the step64's internal clock and an external midi clock by holding PLAY when you power the Step64 on.

also, in mode 1, you can connect one of those additional CV plugs (experiment to determine which one) into your LP's FILTER CV jack and change the individual step filter settings from the step64...same for individual step volume - plug a 3rd CV cable into the LP VOLUME CV jack.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:07 pm

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:Unfortunatly the tuning seems to be an issue. I only just realized when I experienced a bit of a shock when I tried to play guitar chords over the sequence. The whole sequence seems of tune. Is that to do with the fact that the pitch CV ranges from -5 to +5 volt? Would sending MIDI from the MFB to the MP-201 and then using the CV out of the MP-201 solve the issue?

Thanks again!

what happens when you press a key on the LP when your sequence is running?

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:23 pm

acorkos wrote:
MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:Unfortunatly the tuning seems to be an issue. I only just realized when I experienced a bit of a shock when I tried to play guitar chords over the sequence. The whole sequence seems of tune. Is that to do with the fact that the pitch CV ranges from -5 to +5 volt? Would sending MIDI from the MFB to the MP-201 and then using the CV out of the MP-201 solve the issue?

Thanks again!

what happens when you press a key on the LP when your sequence is running?
The sequence is transposed. But if I for example hit a C, the root-note seems to be about a 1/4 note lower than a G instead of C.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:06 pm

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:...if I for example hit a C, the root-note seems to be about a 1/4 note lower than a G instead of C.
hmmmm...if it was just a G instead of the C, then you would hit an F and you'd hear a C. but that 1/4 note issue is troubling. are you connecting the CV cable from the Step64 directly into the LP? RCA plug, or the 1/4" adapter provided by MFB? Or are you using a patchbay? I never had a problem with the Step64 straight into my voyager old school (via 1/4" adapters), but my modular didn't like multed/paralleled connections to multiple oscillators....it messed with the pitch, like yours. but for me it wasn't a big deal to tweak the oscillator frequency to get it to play the correct note.

there is another thread on this forum regarding the Step64 pitch and the CP-251...capacitance issues likely due to using a longer signal path as opposed using just the cables provided...
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
maybe you should contact some of those other forum members

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:17 pm

acorkos wrote:
MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:...if I for example hit a C, the root-note seems to be about a 1/4 note lower than a G instead of C.
hmmmm...if it was just a G instead of the C, then you would hit an F and you'd hear a C. but that 1/4 note issue is troubling. are you connecting the CV cable from the Step64 directly into the LP? RCA plug, or the 1/4" adapter provided by MFB? Or are you using a patchbay? I never had a problem with the Step64 straight into my voyager old school (via 1/4" adapters), but my modular didn't like multed/paralleled connections to multiple oscillators....it messed with the pitch, like yours. but for me it wasn't a big deal to tweak the oscillator frequency to get it to play the correct note.

there is another thread on this forum regarding the Step64 pitch and the CP-251...capacitance issues likely due to using a longer signal path as opposed using just the cables provided...
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
maybe you should contact some of those other forum members
I'm using the cables as well as the adapters provided and am plugin directly into the LP. I'm going to check that other thread. Thanks!

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:29 am

Just to make sure I'm doing this right:

I connect the gate out of the MFB Step64 into the LP's KB Gate and the CV out into the LP's Pitch CV, right?

Might I have taken the wrong pair of cables?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:21 am

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:I connect the gate out of the MFB Step64 into the LP's KB Gate and the CV out into the LP's Pitch CV, right?

Might I have taken the wrong pair of cables?
that's correct. here's how my step64 cables were labeled:

Audio Out L White -- CV/Gate #1
Audio Out R Red -- CV/Gate #2
Audio In R Red -- CV/Gate #3
Audio In L White -- CV/Gate #4

make sure you are using AUDIO OUT L....the white ones....CV out to CV in on the LP, and Gate out to Gate in on the LP

PLAN B: if that doesn't work, try a midi cable from the Step64 Midi out to the LP midi in.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 pm

acorkos wrote: PLAN B: if that doesn't work, try a midi cable from the Step64 Midi out to the LP midi in.
Will that work with a LP Tribute? Haven't got the MIDI-Cable at home, but will certainly give it a try when I'm at the bandroom on tuesday.

What about using the MP-201. MIDI from MFB to MP-201 and CV from MP-201 to LP Tribute. Guess Portamental has mentioned doing so in another thread, but my MP-201 is in the bandroom as well so I won't be able to give it a shot until tuesday.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 pm

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:Will that work with a LP Tribute?
don't see why not
MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:What about using the MP-201. MIDI from MFB to MP-201 and CV from MP-201 to LP Tribute.
wouldn't hurt to try....might be better, might be worse.

ultimately, you may have to try a different CV/Gate producing device into the LP....and the Step64 into a different CV/Gate receiving device, in order to find out where the problem lies.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:25 pm

...or you could just tweak your LP fine tuning knob to bring your sequence in tune and call it done....jam along with your guitar 'til your heart's content

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

acorkos wrote:...or you could just tweak your LP fine tuning knob to bring your sequence in tune and call it done....jam along with your guitar 'til your heart's content
I did do that, but unfortunatly the sequence in itself isn't in tune either... But I'm sure using the MIDI connection will do the trick... I'll tell you when I've achieved a result... Getting married in two weeks, so therefore it might take some time ;-)