Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy a Polyphonic Moog?

Most definately!
63%
Definately not!
15%
Maybe, if.... (please specify)
19%
Only if.....(specify)
3%

Total votes: 62

EricK

Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Dear Moog,
Seeing as how aparently DSI has the polysynth market virtually cornered in lieu of the death of the Andy A6, perhaps it is time you step up to the plate and show the world just how badass your engineering team is. This is a call to arms my friends.

Don't let Dpepfer and DSI step on your toes. Give them hell and make them rue the day!

I have only one humble request in the event that you decide to go ahead with a polysynth project:

Please make it where a Voyager can sit on the top.

You are 2/3rds the way to a brand new Constellation system.

I have all the faith in the world in you guys.

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:27 pm

You left off one option on the poll OMG OMG OMG IS IT HERE YET?!?

Where do I leave a deposit?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

otto

Post by otto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes, please don't allow for the voyager to be sat on top. Buy a rhodes for that (multi-tier keyboard stand). If a voyager could be set on top than valuable knob/button/control space is lost.

MC

Re: Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

Post by MC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 pm

EricK wrote:Please make it where a Voyager can sit on the top.
That would be a very deep polyphonic
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 pm

I have a Rhodes (suitcase, roundtop). A Voyager is too heavy and slides around, AND theres no room for Taurus pedals underneath.

Remember, this is about the Constellation system.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Would you be alright with a deep synth like that, MC?

Ive found it pretty difficult trying to find a really customizable 2-tier stand.

I have a Voyager and a Micro, on an X stand. Now in order for the Voyager to sit nicely on the stand, the X has to be so narrow that its too high. The top tier isn't adjustable very much either.

Id like to be able to have the Polysynth (or the Voyager for that matter) at proper piano height to facillitate proper posture. Id like to be able to sit at it and manipulate the T3 AND have whatever is supposed to be on the top tier playable in a natural posture as well. This is why I think a Flat-top Polysynth would be so nice.

otto

Post by otto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes but remember many people don’t own a Voyager and Taurus and it might surprise you but many people don’t even want an “all new moog” setup and might just want the poly. Playing the “collect them all” game isn’t very practical for most when you’re talking $3k+ a piece (and many people would just like some variety and don’t just buy moog). I think interface with their own line is a great idea but I think designing it ergonomically so that it holds a Voyager on top is silly. Certainly if the synths design isn’t overly knobby (or doesn’t take up much space) ala nord or virus then why not? However, I suspect more people are concerned about having more knobs and controls than a space to set a synth on top. That’s what multi-tier stands are for. I may or may not be interested in a polyphonic moog depending on price, features, etc. I’d actually be happy with an expander box for a little phatty to make it polyphonic.

Oh and you can buy a flat top cover for your Rhodes, they did make them.

otto

Post by otto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:30 pm

EricK wrote:Would you be alright with a deep synth like that, MC?

Ive found it pretty difficult trying to find a really customizable 2-tier stand.
You might want try a 3-tier A stand. Most of them are very customizable. You could take out 1 tier, making it a 2-tier with lots of space. Alternately you could lay a board across your X stand so it can sit lower and still hold your mono and the angle the top holders in on each side. Aside from the board part I do this with a P600 (bottom) and EML 500 (top).

soundxplorer

Re: Polyphonic Moog Feature Request

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:31 pm

EricK wrote:Please make it where a Voyager can sit on the top.
Eh, seems like a huge waste of space. Buy a keyboard stand for that.
I'd prefer it to be small. And cheap. But amazing sounding. And have lots of knobs. I know I'm asking for way to much (small, cheap, analog, lots of knobs...the impossible dream). My "maybe" answer in the poll is dependent on whether or not I could afford it.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:46 pm

I voted "only if" as in only if I had enough money.

I think the modern constellation idea is cool but I don't thing the voyager would be the monosynth involved with that. Considering the current design of the new moog products I think the phatty would be ideal top synth. The original constellation was T1, polymoog and micro/multimoog all which had similar layout, panels, and shape. And if you look at the T3 I think it fits better estetically with the little phatty, and the MP201. And I think if they continued with that sort of layout it would minimize the amount of knobs and buttons which would make it more practical to have a flat top to rest another synth on. But with that being said I would not be against (im sure im not alone on this either) to having a knob per funtion poly monster :twisted:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

MC

Post by MC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm

EricK wrote:Would you be alright with a deep synth like that, MC?
Depends how much you're willing to pay.

Larger cases cost money, raises the price of the unit.

Moog went with a 13 note T3 because the case for an 18 note would had been too expensive.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Otto,
I neither want an "All new Moog Setup" nor am I playing the "Collect them all game".

(I also am not interested in paying 300+ for a new lid for the Rhodes and having to store the vintage lid (in addition to the lid that covers the rhodes that you have to remove to play) when the Rhodes isn't deep enough anyway. Thats just stupidity.)

The more knobs and controls you add, the pricier its going to be. So there is going to have to be some kind of a balance between the amount of voices that is going to be available with true polyphony, versus the amount of controllabillity available if the end cost is going to be less than astronomical (which would negate the feasibillity of the project in the first place).

I don't see why a Polymoog style chassis wouldn't be acceptable no matter what other kinds of boards you might want to use with it.
Last edited by EricK on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 pm

MC,
I thought the 1.5 octave T3 idea was dependant on the price per assembly from Fatar?

Im sure the case would have factored into the cost too though.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Ill admit, what I propose would be a big monster.

24 inches deep by 44 inches wide (for a 61 key board with 5 inches reserves for pitch and mod wheels).

THe Voyager's panel is 8 and a quarter inches tall, so how about a 6 inch panel or less? This would be deep for sure, but other keyboards have been this deep before. Piano players or organists are used to this by now, right?

Theres a lot of tabletop space available for a Voyager to fit flush, or a laptop, sheet music, other synth/drum modules, beers and ashtrays.

Eric

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:46 pm

1. Eric - look into the 3-tier stands, they have a lot of room to customize your setup. The new Moog poly would be the size of an aircraft carrier if they left room for a Voyager. 99.9% of Moog's customers don't want a Constellation system, they just want a Moog Poly synth.

2. Love the fact that my new Taurus are only 1 octave - works great as is, and I can't imagine how much heavier the beastie would be at 1.5 octaves...

3. Requests for the new poly; Six voices min, would prefer 8 or even more. Separate glide rates per osc. Minimum of 3 LFOs, & a 2nd mod wheel would be nice. Would prefer 3 osc./voice, but would settle for 2. Would prefer Phatty-style buttons/interface vs. Voyager for 2 reasons - would keep cost lower, & I already have T-3s and a Phatty, so the 3 together would look awesome! Would also like to see a 3rd envelope generator (ala DSI Prophet), and I would like to have the DSI-style "delay" knob in front of the ADSR sections. Lastly, I would like the option of filter pole selection, and if possible, I'd like to have both Moog and Curtis filters on board.