hex files for dead phatty?

Everything Phatty.
LektroiD

hex files for dead phatty?

Post by LektroiD » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 am

Where can I obtain these files?

I've asked on the forum a couple of times, I also sent an email to Moog, I got an initial response saying they would attach the files, but no attachments were ever sent. I replied to the email asking for them, but have not had a response to date, this was days ago.

I now have the debug adaptor, but it is useless without these files, as is my Moog LP.

Seems a lot of people have experienced this fault. Could someone who has these files and information, please PM me, as well as the info on the correct installation procedure.

Many thanks in advance

Richie

jaahans

Post by jaahans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 am

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it.

How common is it for Little Phatties to die like this? How much does the debugger cost and where can you get it? Shouldn't it be included with the synth?

Do Little Phatties die randomly or is it because of doing something wrong?

I am thinking about buying the LP but at this price range, I'm expecting a synth that will last for a long time. Reading about these problems doesn't sound very good.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 am

It appears to be a common fault updating an early OS to the very latest when done via MIDI. I can't think why the incremental updates are not all on the site, since this is a known fault.

I got the USB Debugger today, but have still not received the files from Moog, but managed to obtain them from HHB. However, I tried the debug adaptor, and it appears to be faulty (someone else on this forum has also posted about this issue).

Here is a video clip I made. Can someone please let me know if this is normal behaviour for the USB adaptor, or do I need another debug adaptor to debug this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ABw5LdCNY

jaahans

Post by jaahans » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 am

LektroiD wrote:It appears to be a common fault updating an early OS to the very latest when done via MIDI. I can't think why the incremental updates are not all on the site, since this is a known fault.
That would be more bearable if it only happened during updates (while not acceptable), but according to canecreek00's comments at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMCijPZiLU , he got this problem during normal use of the synth.

That is something that really puts me off this synth and hopefully gets fixed.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 am

I can’t get to your YouTube video right now, but I found with the debugger that:
You may need to Turn Windows Fire Wall OFF. Of course it’s a good idea to turn off and any other software running and have it disconnected from the net.

About a year ago I had a problem where I needed to use the Debugger, on my XP computer it would not work, it would only get to the point of saying “yup there is something attached” but beyond that would not work. On a whim I tried an old Win 98 computer and it worked right away. It dawned on me that than it being a different OS, that computer has never been on the net and does not have a firewall. I Went back to the XP machine, turned off the firewall (it was disconnected from the net when I did the first attempt) and it worked fine.

Others I am sure will have more information if this does not work.

Good luck, you’ll get there.

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:17 pm

I got a phatty today, like always with new synths, I check for new versions.. and downloaded..and got the power cycle error.. and now my LP is dead..

And after seeing so many people with this same problem, why is this update still online?

I was soooo happy when I got my first moog, but now I can only look at it..

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Tried with windows firewall off (and restarted machine), still no joy.
JWaltman wrote:I got a phatty today, like always with new synths, I check for new versions.. and downloaded..and got the power cycle error.. and now my LP is dead..

And after seeing so many people with this same problem, why is this update still online?

I was soooo happy when I got my first moog, but now I can only look at it..
You're not alone here, as you can see many of us have experienced dead Moog LP's after this update. In my opinion, it isn't acceptable for us to have to pay out for additional debugging hardware, or worse, pay a synthesizer repair company extortionate hourly repair rates. Especially as this is a fault with the product and not the end user.

In the UK we have a governmental body known as Trading Standards and also a mainstream media organisation known as BBC Watchdog, whom I'm sure would be very interested in a story like this. But hopefully Moog will address this issue before it gets this far.

I have a second debug adaptor arriving tomorrow, hopefully I will have more luck with this one. I'll keep you all posted. If you need to get in touch, my email is in my profile, or brainstormer2302 on Youtube.

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, I got a super fast reply from Amos, and will check the prices at a nearby service point here in the Netherlands.

It's indeed annoying, saved money to buy one, and now I need to pay more. Will look how this works out.

I think people should be warned before downloading the update, never had problems updating synths before. (edit: just heard this should be there soon)

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 pm

JWaltman wrote:Well, I got a super fast reply from Amos, and will check the prices at a nearby service point here in the Netherlands.

It's indeed annoying, saved money to buy one, and now I need to pay more. Will look how this works out.
Service in this instance should be free, since this is a known fault with the product.
JWaltman wrote:I think people should be warned before downloading the update, never had problems updating synths before. (edit: just heard this should be there soon)
And what about the people who never had the chance to see the warning? We now have broken synthesizers, or had to spend more money repairing them.

jaahans

Post by jaahans » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:12 am

I think the problem is that this Amos guy seems to be pretty much doing all the firmware coding himself.

He said in another thread that Little Phatty fixes had to wait because he was doing the Taurus firmware now. I don't think that's acceptable.

At these prices, Moog should employ enough people so that they can keep their products working without unnecessary delays.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 am

Well, the new debug adaptor arrived today, but is having the same difficulty as posted in the clip above. I have tried on 3 different machines with 3 different operating systems. I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Having already spent out unnecessary money on this, I can not afford to pay extortionate hourly rates for a fault that is clearly with the company and not the end user.

Since I have not had any further correspondence back from Moog, I will be taking this to the organisations mentioned above. I suggest everyone having this issue does the same. Otherwise Moog will continue to ignore the problem, and we will all be left with either broken synthesizers, or be out of pocket for repairs.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am

Did you try calling Moog?

Give that a try.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am

Sir Nose wrote:Did you try calling Moog?

Give that a try.
How? There is no telephone number for Moog. Everything is having to be done by email or private message, which has ceased. I have been in touch with Moog service centres, but they are not Moog, they only do the repairs for them.

I will never buy any Moog products as long as I live. And certainly not recommend them to anyone in the future, unless something gets sorted.

Looks like I'm stuck with a giant door wedge.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 am

I did reply to your PM, asking you to email myself or Ryan... I am not personally responsible for tech support now, so I am not as responsive to tech issues as I used to be. I still try to visit the forum when I have time, so I can be of assistance in cases like this (and in happier times also) My apologies on behalf of the whole Moog team for your trouble. We'll help you sort it out.

Kind regards,

Amos Gaynes
Moog Music, Inc.

Also, we do have a phone number if you need it... +1.828.251.0090. It's listed at the bottom of every page of the Moog website.

PPS) I'm working with the rest of the Moog engineering team to correct the underlying issue with firmware update. I expect a good result within the next couple of months.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Just checked your video; I think I see the problem. Very encouraging as other than the connection to the LP being made before clicking "connect" it seems to be doing all the right things. I've sent you full instructions via email. Hoping everything goes smoothly from here.

-Amos