Here we go!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
superd2112

Here we go!

Post by superd2112 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Bank "M" presets are gone, erased & replaced with 4 of my own, and in less than 2 hours, I will be playing them on stage for the first time. During soundcheck, beer bottles were dancing on tables, various pieces of "art" were falling off the club's walls and customer's heads were "gophering" all the way in the back, trying to see what was making that sound. My guitarist & drummer were staring slack-jawed at the T-3s in disbelief, and all my singer could say was "Holy Cr@p!" Gonna be a good night...

Alienation

Re: Here we go!

Post by Alienation » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:51 pm

superd2112 wrote:Bank "M" presets are gone, erased & replaced with 4 of my own, and in less than 2 hours, I will be playing them on stage for the first time. During soundcheck, beer bottles were dancing on tables, various pieces of "art" were falling off the club's walls and customer's heads were "gophering" all the way in the back, trying to see what was making that sound. My guitarist & drummer were staring slack-jawed at the T-3s in disbelief, and all my singer could say was "Holy Cr@p!" Gonna be a good night...
EPIC! Mine should be here on Monday!!!
Boom Boom Boom clap Boom Boom Boom clap!

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 pm

We're going to need a full gig report of course.
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:05 pm

superd2112 wrote:Bank "M" presets are gone, erased & replaced with 4 of my own, and in less than 2 hours, I will be playing them on stage for the first time. During soundcheck, beer bottles were dancing on tables, various pieces of "art" were falling off the club's walls and customer's heads were "gophering" all the way in the back, trying to see what was making that sound. My guitarist & drummer were staring slack-jawed at the T-3s in disbelief, and all my singer could say was "Holy Cr@p!" Gonna be a good night...
Curious, are you playing through house PA or your own cabinets? If so, wha are you pushing and what with?

Also interested to hear what type of music you are play. Originals? IIRC you guys are a 3 piece doing some Rush covers?

-Mike W. from NJ

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:50 pm

MikeWfromNJ wrote:
Curious, are you playing through house PA or your own cabinets? If so, wha are you pushing and what with?

Also interested to hear what type of music you are play. Originals? IIRC you guys are a 3 piece doing some Rush covers?

-Mike W. from NJ
Or perhaps some early Genesis????
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:35 am

We play covers with a few originals mixed in - covers with Taurus parts include "Limelight", "Spirit of Radio", "White Room","Dead or Alive", "Sound of Madness" and a few others, as well some original stuff. We play a mix of classic & modern rock, and metal, and we try & keep sections danceable. and The gig went great, and I'm posting a link to my photobucket album - the first 5 pix are from the gig. Taurus go straight to the PA (ours, there is no house system at this club), and I also have a 400-watt SWR Headlite amp driving a single "15 JBL in a Sonic cab (sitting left of the beefy Phil Jones bass amp) for a stage monitor. Man, the new Taurus sound friggin great with a few thousand watts behind them!

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll276/superdick2112/

factorplayer

Post by factorplayer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Hey superd I'd really love to hear the details of how you use the T3 on the Rush songs! We want to cover some Rush and Id like to get as close as possible to the originals, but I'll admit I am fairly new to the whole synth thing.

I am wondering what settings you are using for Limelight in particular as the synth parts in that song (specifically the chorus/solo) seem to be higher than the octave setting on my T3 allows for. Also what preset you use for the synth notes in the intro. La Villa and Xanadu are some other ones I'm trying to figure out how to get the higher-register sound for

Thanks!

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 pm

factorplayer wrote:Hey superd I'd really love to hear the details of how you use the T3 on the Rush songs! We want to cover some Rush and Id like to get as close as possible to the originals, but I'll admit I am fairly new to the whole synth thing.

I am wondering what settings you are using for Limelight in particular as the synth parts in that song (specifically the chorus/solo) seem to be higher than the octave setting on my T3 allows for. Also what preset you use for the synth notes in the intro. La Villa and Xanadu are some other ones I'm trying to figure out how to get the higher-register sound for

Thanks!
Factorplayer, glad to help - the Rush presets are all ones I wrote myself. PM me your email address, & I'll email you a photocopy of my Limelight patch. I have Friday off, so I'll jot the settings down on the Taurus 3 patch template I downloaded from Knobtweak, scan it into my PC, and email it to you. Meanwhile, I suggest you start tweaking one of the factory presets so you will have an idea of how to change and store your own patches. Don't worry, its pretty easy, and if you lose or mess up a factory patch that you want back, you can always do a reboot and restore all of the factory sounds. Talk to you Friday.
Update - I sent you the Limelight patch, and posted it on Knobtweak & the T-3 microsite for anyone interested. Enjoy!

yeti

Post by yeti » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:27 am

All of that high string stuff on Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals was an Oberheim 8 voice, so trying to emulate it will be impossible. 16 oscillators in unison mode would be the answer. I hope you have a good tech, and lots of money. Geddy's tech, Jack Secret devised a way for him to trigger the 8 voice via the Moog Taurus 1. By the way, I have a set of Taurus 1's that date January of 1975, and I also had a manual that was printed in November of 1974. I ordered #450, so all of the kinks will be out of the Taurus 3's by then. I just hope they sound as beefy as the original, but if they don't, I'm sitting on 2 sets of Taurus 1's that will bring 7K or more each...but I doubt I would sell them at that price. I would sample 16 tracks of Oberheim SEM's, mix it down to 2 tracks panned L and R, and then trigger it via the Taurus 3's.

factorplayer

Post by factorplayer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks yeti, I am probably going to go with a V-Machine running OP-X pro for the Obie sounds, controlled with a Roland PK... wish me luck!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 am

Yeti,
I wouldn't count on that 7k profit anymore. Im telling you I have been watching the market on these pedals and actually considered getting a set myself. The ultimate time for some ebay rapeage was the period just before the T3 announcement I saw a set of T1's last week with a buy it now price for 1000. Why would anyone in their right minds pay 4k or even more than 2k when they can get a brand new set with midi, cv control and a warranty for under 2? I understand the vintage aspect, but I think for now at least the days of getting 4k or more for the T1s won't come around again for a time.

I could be mistaken on this, but they have definately been coming down. I saw a Moog rogue and a set of T2 pedals selling for like 850 for both seperately, and 1200 for a whole set of t2's that were together on a different auction.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:38 am

factorplayer wrote:Thanks yeti, I am probably going to go with a V-Machine running OP-X pro for the Obie sounds, controlled with a Roland PK... wish me luck!
Factorplayer, your Taurus 3 is as good a midi pedal controller as the PK-5 (which I also own), with the added ability to play their own internal sounds. Give my patch a try - for the majority of the song, it pretty much nails the sound. For the high strings sound over the solo section, I use a string patch from my Roland JP-8000, also played from the T-3, and again, it nails the sound. Yeti, (who also posts under several other names, including Kimber) may try & steer you away from the Taurus 3s, as he is seemingly bitter over having paid too much for several sets of old Taurus 1s - an investment he may never recoup now that the mighty Taurus 3 is here, and even though most everyone here agrees the Taurus 3s sound identical to the oldies, he trys to convince otherwise.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:04 am

yeti wrote:All of that high string stuff on Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals was an Oberheim 8 voice, so trying to emulate it will be impossible...
Only a bad carpenter blames his tools for his inability to get the job done. Geddy also used a Mini and an Obie 4-voice for most of the solos during that era, and now he gets the same job done with a Little Phatty. Its not the tools, its the way you use them that matters. Done preaching now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

yeti

Post by yeti » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 pm

superd2112, why would you attack me without provocation? I was merely stating how to get that high string sound using your Taurus 3 pedals, because they won't do it, and neither will the Voyager, Little Phatty, or the Minimoog. You need an Oberheim 8 Voice synthesizer. I am not bitter, and I am not steering anyone away from the Taurus 3. I ordered number 450, and I am waiting to see if they sound the same as the Taurus 1. There's something I know, that you don't, but because of respect and confidentiality to friends, and fellow professionals, I won't go there. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Good luck with your cover band in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm

ouch, yeah, i too have been watching the bay for the last 5+ years and can confirm that the T1 prices are toast. the only thing crispier is the amount of non-sales of overpriced T1s. the real question is when the T3s start to make their way into the eBay marketplace will the T1s stand a chance at all? great time to scoop up a cheap set though...

yeti wrote:
"There's something I know, that you don't, but because of respect and confidentiality to friends, and fellow professionals, I won't go there. Ignorance is bliss I guess."
is there a secret handshake to go along with that? jeeze :roll:
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg