Etherwave Pro Standby switch not 100% mute?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
omhoge

Etherwave Pro Standby switch not 100% mute?

Post by omhoge » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:31 pm

Just got one, finally! Very cool instrument.

Noticed the standby switch does not totally cut the line out but just reduces it by about 75%.

Is this normal, typical for you other Pro users?

The led in the switch is a very nice green color though.

thanks!

shadowing

Your Standby Switch Must Be Buggy!

Post by shadowing » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi:

If you can actually hear ANY sound when your Etherwave Pro's standby switch is on, there must be something wrong. When my switch is on, the machine is totally silent.

First, determine positively that the problem is with the theremin itself. Disconnect it from any amplifiers and everything else. Put on a pair of headphones and turn it on. Check the standby switch again. If it's totally silent in standby mode with phones on, then there's something going on between your line output and whatever you're hooked up to.

Either way, your best bet is to call technical support and tell them everything. They might be able to talk you through a quick fix, but it sounds as though you may have to send the theremin back to be repaired correctly.

omhoge

shoot

Post by omhoge » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:52 pm

well with headphones standby switch has no effect in either position.

with line out it cuts it by 75 % but is still audible especially high pitches
just using good computer speakers for now not a real amp.

shoot it took for ever for it to get here in the first place.

shadowing

Sad, Ain't it?

Post by shadowing » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Yeah...

I ordered mine very early on, and it took over nine months to arrive. When it idi, I immediately noticed a problem. Not with the standby switch, but with the volume antenna.

I called tech support and at first, was given an RMA so I could return the machine, but before I did, a different guy from tech support talked me through a touchy procedure and I was spared having to ship it back.

I'm unsure what you can do at this point, I just tested my own Pro to make sure it's absolutely silent when in standby -- and it is -- I cranked up the volume on my amp all the way and was unable to hear any residual sound at all.

It's worth a call to tech support.

I've noticed you have another post regarding Theremin music that was commissioned for Rosen and Rockmore. First, a question. Are you online right now?

omhoge

Post by omhoge » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:01 pm

yes I am

shadowing

Post by shadowing » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:03 pm

Okay...

I noticed your e-mail address. I'm e-mailing you right now...

omhoge

have to exchange and my vendor rocks

Post by omhoge » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:08 pm

I got it trough Sweetwater Sound, a vendor I have used for years.
They're being great about this and coordinating the exchange with Moog.

Even defective, this is a fantastic instrument and one of the best designed electronics I have ever played.