Moog Bass

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
tutinha

Moog Bass

Post by tutinha » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Is there any chance that we might see a moog bass any soon?
Moog made the guitar wich is awesome but, i think a moog bass would be far more intresting, imagine a bass whit infinite sustain, built in moog filter especial for bass, and the possibilities of using it whit moogerfoogers.
That would be nice

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I think Moog already has one. It's called the Taurus 3. :)
It would seem that a bass guitar version of the Moog guitar wouldn't be that hard to develop, but I think it's a ways off, if ever.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 am

A Moog guitar that transmits MIDI.

Taurus 3 pedals with MIDI inputs.

:idea:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

tutinha

Post by tutinha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:58 am

well the Taurus is indeed a synthesizer specialized in bass sound, but its not even close to a bass guitar, the bass guitar is made out of wood u know, its totaly diferent from building a machine and sayng its a bass. Of corse i'd love to get a tauros but as a bass player and a musician i think a Moog Bass would be More intresting, and much more fun to play.
I saw in The internet that moog has already built a bass in the past, but id didnt had that infite sustain or moog filter inside, maybe they will come whit one again.
Thats the link of moog bass
http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist.php

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 am

EricK

Actually depending on the settings it will very closely resemble a Bass guitar, and a very aggressive one at that.

You have to remember were dealing with Synthesizers here, instruments that specialize in replicating other instruments. Its not exactly the same but damn close.

I wouldn't want a Moog bass unless they teamed up with conklin and offered a 7 string version. 4 or 5 strings wouldn't be worth it to me.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am

The sustain would be much harder to generate with the thicker bass guitar strings; if you've ever compared an ebow between guitar and bass use, you can kind of get the idea.

For a simple and cheap option that is quite effective, though not as powerful as the Moog guitar obviously: Pigtronix Philosophers Tone; is a compressor/sustain with serious clean sustain. It obviously compressors your signal so you lose some attack dynamics, but for less extreme settings you can blend in some dry signal onboard to retain dynamics while adding sustain. It is a very effective device, and I use it to drive my synth bass guitar chain; I can sustain an octaver 100%wet-feeding a Freqbox and get clean sustain from all those effects for up to about 30 seconds. When just using dry signal, the sustain goes much longer.

Anyway, thats all I can offer. I too would love to see a Moog bass though!! I don't care about the onboard filter because I have the Moog and other filters in my rig, but would loooovvveee that sustaining power built into the bass to drive all my effects!! 8)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

MC

Post by MC » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 am

tutinha wrote:Thats the link of moog bass
http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist.php
I used to own an RD Artist. They are largely a Gibson product. The only thing Moog about them is the onboard electronics (designed by Bob). Active tone EQs, expansion on bridge pickup, compression on neck pickup. The thing had a piano bass string tone that would have made John Entwistle proud. All maple construction, good sustain, solid as a rock and doesn't go out of tune - but heavy with a baseball bat neck.

A good guitar but not much tone variety even with the active EQ. I was started to learn slap-n-pop and the RD just didn't cut it. I got a couple of basses that were better suited for recording and I sold the RD.

It's nowhere near the sophisication of today's Moog Guitar.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

tutinha

Post by tutinha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

ya i read about the RD bass, so thats exactly my point, it wasnt a real MOOG BASS, so that was why i was thinking here about a moog bass, something to be realy diferent, and a place to explore the mix between moog eletronics and ideas whit the bass instrument, as they done to the guitar. I just would realy love to see something like this. Something organic and made of wood but whit alien technologie and sound like moog, its the kind of organic future i imagine in my mind

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 am

I think if moog makes a bass it should definately be fretless. With some filtering and the infinate sustain it could sound like a cello
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:I think if moog makes a bass it should definately be fretless.
I use this as a "synth" source a lot:

http://www.ministarguitars.net/id62.html

It's low-priced but is actually a lot of fun to play. It's like having 5 ribbons.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _