MP-201 as Casio interface

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
mattgalletly

MP-201 as Casio interface

Post by mattgalletly » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 am

I was wondering... The new Casio, and I think Yamaha keyboards now have a USB port instead of MIDI ports. Can the MP-201 be used as an interface between the new Casios and Yamahas with other MIDI equipment without having to be hooked up to a PC to communicate?

Portamental

Re: MP-201 as Casio interface

Post by Portamental » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 am

mattgalletly wrote:The new Casio, and I think Yamaha keyboards now have a USB port instead of MIDI ports.
I never understood that decision. That cut their entry level instruments from standard low-cost midi setups. And by my calculations, there are more beginners and poor musicians than there are rich ones! Go figure. BTW, you don't happen to need a beautiful DGX 530 88 notes keyboard real cheap ? (I bought it before I knew I needed midi on all my keyboards, with the exception of my beloved OS of course).

And no, the MP 201 can't help on that regard. I am not aware of any other solution either.

EMwhite

Re: MP-201 as Casio interface

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 am

On some devices, the opposite is true. For instance the M-Audio iControl has a Midi in that can be piped through USB into your computer (ie. you don't need a separate midi interface, at least for playing so you can hook up older controllers to play sounds within Logic or GarageBand).

-Mike W. from NJ