what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

I voted Polysynth because that is the.. holy grail to me... but

I would 100% defiantely buy a Moog drum machine and Vocoder.

I think a drum machine is a excellent excellent idea. Like Mike said, it could double as a sequencer as well. Perfect.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 am

MarkM wrote:I would like to see something that hasn't been done before. I want something innovative like the new controller, Moog guitar, or MF107. Blow us away with your imagination. Give us another way to approach music. There's already enough polysynths, drum machines, and modular gear out there. Continue to challenge us with gear we've never even imagined.
There has to be a market for it however
Moog are a business at the end of the day

I like the idea of a drum machine in some ways
would be interested to see how it would develop
playing the sequencer market though, I think it would be up against a lot competition
Future Retro have already struck gold as far as I'm concerned with their Revolution synth and Orb sequencer

my money is on a polysynth
http://www.myspace.com/skipteque

sthome12

Post by sthome12 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I want a drum machine from Moog..
Hope it will be realized soon.

=========================
Custom Home Builder Los Angeles

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:14 pm

In light of the T3 becoming a reality, I would love to see its synth engine in a CP-251 format. I don't know if that would even be physically possible, considering the dimensions of the T3's enclosure. However, if it were possible, and Moog were to create it, I believe it could become one of their most best selling products!

It could be the cash cow that leads to the poly-synth! :D

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 pm

There has to be a market for it however
Moog are a business at the end of the day
What made Moog one of the great names in the music instrument business has been innovation. The new guitar, controller, and various moogerfoogers found a niche market. Moog's ability to creatively push the envelope is what sets them apart. Yes, they have relied on updating some of their older products (Voyager and Taurus) but those were Moog innovations to begin with. Innovation is what created Moog in the first place.

Just how many more drum machines can the market handle? If Moog does decide to make a drum machine, I hope it has a unique and innovative twist to it: more than just being analogue and having a ladder filter.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 am

just filled in the enquette, not voted for the most popular item however:
sincerely hope that if or when ever there will come something like a new polyfonic moog , i really hope it will have EIGHT voices instead of 6, 5 or whatever. anybody playing with two hands will agree .( i'm more then willing to pay for the extra two )
oh , if just... an 8 voice voyager for less then 8 voyagers , and with the RL software (+ ! slewrate upgrade and other upgrades) and touchscreen , in a single box .... :shock:

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Polysynth, chorus pedal and drum machine....

In that order...

DS
There is a chorus pedal, get a CP-251 for the 104Z

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm

moremagic wrote:
DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Polysynth, chorus pedal and drum machine....

In that order...

DS
There is a chorus pedal, get a CP-251 for the 104Z
a type of BB delay effect? I've got a 251 - how do you set the 104Z up to behave like a chorus?

I was hoping for a dedicated chorus pedal at some point.

I really think Moog could make money from making modulars, polysynth, drummachine and vocoder etc. I think with time....we'll get these.

Its very exciting + I love Moog gear....its high quality and they make no compromises.

DS
Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5 (rev 3.3), Moog Old School (s/n #0317), Yamaha DX7 MKII FD and Roland D50

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:01 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:I've got a 251 - how do you set the 104Z up to behave like a chorus?
Hi DS,

A Chorus can be created by gently modulating the delay time with a Triangle wave LFO.
Experiment with delay times between 22ms. and 30ms. The LFO Rate can be set to taste.

If your Mix is 100% Wet you'll get a Vibrato effect. If your Mix is 50% you'll have Chorus.

Hope this helps.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:I've got a 251 - how do you set the 104Z up to behave like a chorus?
Hi DS,

A Chorus can be created by gently modulating the delay time with a Triangle wave LFO.
Experiment with delay times between 22ms. and 30ms. The LFO Rate can be set to taste.

If your Mix is 100% Wet you'll get a Vibrato effect. If your Mix is 50% you'll have Chorus.

Hope this helps.
Yep, and to make it even smoother, send the triangle wave through the Lag Processor(and maybe attenuator) and adjust the Rise/Fall times to shape it into a sine 8)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Veeger

Re: what should moog release next?

Post by Veeger » Sun May 23, 2010 7:21 am

Been reading lots of posts in this very long thread.

Affordable synth, polysynth, drum machine/sequencer.... hard to choose.

I say a rack mountable Taurus that could interface with a Voyager, Voyager OS, Little Phatties, Moog Guitar. Make that Taurus sound available at a lower price point - minus the behemoth shell and sturdy pedals... and give it broad connectivity. Think like Bob when he dreamed up the Phatty concept for production - lower price, great design, analog and digital control. Even someone with an M-Audio controller could use it.

To be honest though - let them make whatever they want so they can keep changing the way EVERYONE makes music. Moog Music is not just for keyboardists.... Hell, Bob and his cronies actually thought initially that a keyboard would LIMIT the possibilities of synthesis!!!!

But a drum machine with KNOBS :lol: would be really nice. Wonder what they'd have to do to make it accessible and innovative though. Cheers mates.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon May 24, 2010 12:20 am

This is a good topic. Over the years I would have answered the question differently. Right now I'm saying they have all the products they need. So for me, I would say none of the above, unless they could come up with some upgrades for existing products that expand them a bit.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am

Polysynths are cheesy, and moog has not been cheesy since the Liberation and Opus-3. As powerful as the memorymoog is, the ability to play pads is not worth the trouble. How about this: A new Clavinet with strings instead of oscillators, but fully editable parameters! Its a dream shot, but they'll never bring back the funkiest instrument ever to exist. I fully beleve there are crazy civilizations out there in other galaxies, and of course they have instruments, but I guran-damn-tee if a Grey or a Nordic or a Reptilian heard a clav, they would shake theyre weirdly shaped bootys.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 am

How about a new Clavinet with oscillators instead of strings?

I think that's what you meant. But we're talking about a very very big circuit board if you want to be able to adjust it.

Nah. No chance.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 am

Of course... releasing a moogerfooger that is a mere single oscillator for building up your own modular... that would be rather nice....