Moogs & 1spot/godlyke adaptor: good or bad idea?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
tareh

Moogs & 1spot/godlyke adaptor: good or bad idea?

Post by tareh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 am

As you can see from the photo above, 4 units of moogs. Previously i use 4 separate power adaptors. so im wondering if its a good idea if i use one of those high voltage general adaptors (1spot / godlyke) and chain up the 4 moogs?

thanks

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 am

Bad idea- they should all have their own isolated power supplies, so I wouldn't put more than 1 moogerfooger per godlyke/onespot. Some effects dont work and/or make noise when daisy chained-- the moogs make noise.

If you want to power multiple moogerfoogers on one power supply, get a Voodoo Labs PP2+. For any of these power units, you will need to buy 'reversed polarity adapters' since the Moogerfoogers are 9vdc center positive. (just like in the picture, you can see the power cable with the white tip coming from the PedalPower2 going to the Moog, thats one of the reversed polarity cables you buy)
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:45 pm

It's a really good idea to 1spots if you'll be traveling the world.

Notice the plural though ._.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Switching power supplies introduce more noise than linear supplies, especially when effects are daisy-chained together & sharing the common ground thus inducing a ground-loop between the units.

I've also heard of pedals being damaged by a switching power supply pushing far too much current. This shouldn't happen but sometimes can occur. Additonally when switching adapters fail, it's not uncommon for them to take the pedals with them. I'm sure you've heard of mobile phones exploding while being charged?

Another consideration is when two or more (digital) effects are on the same supply, that the internal clocks for the microprocessors inside the pedals might be interacting or beating against one another. Switching power supplies run at a very high frequency and maybe interacting with the clocks as well. In a most cases you'll hear some artifacts from the switching supply.

The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ uses an audiophile quality linear supply for consistently stable, clean, pure power. It is highly recommended as each output is isolated. Switching power supplies are cheaper & more efficient but you'll have to A/B them with a linear supply in your setup to see for yourself if it'll work out. Do yourself a favor & stay away from switching power supplies.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm

DeFrag wrote:The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ ....
Hi

Are you using one?

From what your saying, do you still prefer to power your multiple foogers with their original linear supply? What is your power set-up?

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm

I'd look at a pedal power 2 but doesnt accept wall voltages from around the world, kind of a bummer when I may move overseas, esp considering the price

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm

DeFrag wrote:I've also heard of pedals being damaged by a switching power supply pushing far too much current. This shouldn't happen but sometimes can occur.
I never heard of power supplies pushing current. How would that work? I had always thought that the actual amount of current used was dictated by the circuit using it.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm

mayidunk wrote:
DeFrag wrote:I've also heard of pedals being damaged by a switching power supply pushing far too much current. This shouldn't happen but sometimes can occur.
I never heard of power supplies pushing current. How would that work? I had always thought that the actual amount of current used was dictated by the circuit using it.
If a PSU isn't regulated, then too much _voltage_ can be passed into the device. So for a high-current supply feeding a low-current device, the voltage going into the pedal or whatever will be much higher than rated by the PSU. Unless the supply is regulated or the device uses internal regulation or current-limiting resistors.

Yes, the 'foogers whine when daisy chained off one supply (the delay is the worst). And no, I haven't quite gotten around to wiring/soldering my own solution (8 isolated transformer windings). :roll:

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm

latigid on wrote:Yes, the 'foogers whine when daisy chained off one supply (the delay is the worst).
They whine you say? I am totally curious about that. What is your best set-up for powering your foogers?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah, it's sort-of a sparkly hiss [insert Twilight joke] at around 5-10kHz. The LEDs running off it don't seem to make too much of a difference.

I remember when I used two regulated adapters on daisy chains for 6 foogers, that worked well.

Pictures of current and future supplies:

I might even be able to skip the regulators. The MuRFs like regulated power, though.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

latigid on wrote:I remember when I used two regulated adapters on daisy chains for 6 foogers, that worked well.
That did work, right? Of course the Moogertron has power requirements of a different magnitude :wink:

Allright.

I am gonna put forward my own power solution soon, based on a small 2A PSU. It powers half a dozen devices, a few foogers in the lot. There's no big secrets in building DIY power supplies, i have been for years, but I have been into audio only a few months, and ground, static, hissing, name-it issues are popping all over the place. It defies logic. I know I am incompatible with Roland Cube Amps, the GT processors, many Fender amps and guitars (but my new Strat with noiseless is ok). No amount of troubleshooting helped solved the issue.

And now this... whining... or daisy chained foogers not liking switching supplies. I want to be sure my stuff works well with foogers.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah sorry, voltage.. thanks latigid on.

I *just* bought the Voodoo Lab PP2+ & it rocks!
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

tareh

Post by tareh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

thanks everyone, back to 4 separate singular adaptors then.

cheers!