RME background noise

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jyoung

RME background noise

Post by jyoung » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 am

I'm noticing a very slight bit of background noise coming from the RME. This is especially noticable after playing notes in the higher ranges, where the noise seems to have a pitch that is relative to the note that was last played. Normal or no? Is there any adjustment that can be done to reduce this?
== Voyager RME v3.5 ==

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:03 am

Little bit of oscillator sneaking through the VCA. My Signature does it, My D used to do it, too. If you clamp down the filter in that patch, you will probably hear it go away. (or switch off the mixer switches) That could isolate where in the path it was coming from.
On some settings, I can sort of preview what the patch is from audio leaking through.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 am

Getting a lot of noise from my RME.
not just when i play notes tho, when its idle aswell. Ive tried swapping channels on the mixer, swapping cables, trying the cables in other synths and they are fine (no noise).

When i turn the voyager off, there is still a little bit of noise but not as much..
I was suspecting it was all the power cables i have about the place but since the other synths dont pick it up i now think its the voyager.

thoughts?

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 pm

aaronh wrote:Getting a lot of noise from my RME.
not just when i play notes tho, when its idle aswell. Ive tried swapping channels on the mixer, swapping cables, trying the cables in other synths and they are fine (no noise).

When i turn the voyager off, there is still a little bit of noise but not as much..
I was suspecting it was all the power cables i have about the place but since the other synths dont pick it up i now think its the voyager.

thoughts?
Ground loop? Try an isolation transformer in the output cables. I use an Ebtec Hum Eliminator http://www.ebtechaudio.com/hedes.html

It works great. You can also get inline isolators. Long unbalanced cables are especially a problem.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 pm

When I make ANY connection between my Voyager and my Modular I get a bunch of hum. I get none of it using the CP-251's. I assume it's a ground loop between the Voyager and the Modular. But I'm at a loss on how to cure it when there can be as many as 8 or more cables between the two of them. For now I just use a noise gate but that kills some dynamics. I'm thinking of making some power cables that I can ground lift and try that.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

aaronh

Post by aaronh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:44 pm

I thought in the UK we didnt have the ground loop problem because our cables are already earth.

shows much i know.

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 am

For audio routing, you can use a "Hum Eliminator" and try each cable until it goes away. Or use the 8 channel rack mount and just run all your audio through it. Ebtech also makes a "HumX" which safely filters the ground on a three prong cable maintaining the ground connection. Using one of these on the Voyager power cord might help/cure the problem. Never defeat the ground lug on a power cable!

I also bought a couple of XLR inline transformers from the local Pro-Studio store as I was getting a ground loop connecting to the powered monitors.

The Ebtech site has a nice tutorial on ground loops.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/findloop.pdf

No affiliation, just a happy customer. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it works and my 52 year old ears don't hear any degradation :)

MultipleChoice

Re: RME background noise

Post by MultipleChoice » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Hi, I got the same problem.

In my case Gate never closes entirely.

I get rid of it if I turn down the volume(s) or close the filter entirely, but otherwise I can hear the OSCs as if in "drone" mode with all modulation on a low volume but clearly audible.
(That is why it is more audible in certain pitch ranges or if both OSCs at full volume.)

Do you have a similar issue maybe?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I had a similar problem, a constant whine which went away when I used the CP-251 with its own adapter, instead of using the Voyager as its power supply through the VX-351
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

friedmanpiano1

Post by friedmanpiano1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:41 pm

I had a similar problem. I tried the two fixed mentioned above and it seemed to work. I first checked the ground loop with varying results. Then I was able to isolate the problem filter and reduce almost all of the weird hum. It seems like it still happens randomly, but it's way better now than it was.
"It doesn’t matter how you learn piano or what piano lesson websites you use, just remember the slower you go, the faster you’ll get there." – John Link