what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 pm

If they're going to do a polysynth affordably and still retain the character and quality of the sound, I think doing some kind of PolyVoyager Rack, a la the (now-discontinued) DSI piece with a simple interface, would be a smart idea. Allow editing to be done via software, or from the front panel of the Voyager. Make it gig-worthy, portable, definitely at least 4 assignable outputs and an audio input.

Alternatively, an OBMx or Omega-style 'mainframe' format rack with Voyager voice cards , offering expandabillity from 2-to-x voices? Again, if trying to save $$, don't necessarily need a live panel. Given the size of the sound-making components of the Voyager, how big would a thing like this have to be? (I have no idea, so someone feel free to chime in.) Are we back into Memorymoog footprint land at that point?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm

There's alot of talk about "If Moog made a Poly, how much would it cost?". To get an interesting perspective on this, hop over to DSI's site and sit through the Prophet 8 videos as reviewed by Sonic Lab. (there are of them and the section I'm mentioning is at the end of #2 during the discussion on design considerations, etc.).

The review (which is excellent) touches upon what DSI was up against when they designed the 8. Interesting comparison with the Voyager which is to say that some of the Voyager components are quite expensive to engineer and build and if DSI was to incorporate this into the 8 it would have resulted in a much more expensive synth.

Moog does what Moog does extremely well and everybody (not just us!) knows it. You don't see Rudess and others standing behind DSI gear, though they may likely own some. But seeing all of the stuff built into the Prophet, I question how much engineering Moog would have to put in and how much profit margin they would have to keep in order to make a PolyMoog that would actually sell (be < $3,000).

My point is, that is a very tall order. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it... but in terms of # of units, they might hit a wall after initial saturation. (think of the limited # of Old Schools that they planned on making only to cut production; think of how many Taurus's they will sell... it's just tough in todays market to make something so completely new that fetches a high price tag and cover costs.)

I completely appreciate that Moog is still hand made in Asheville using mostly components sourced from the U.S. But that comes at a cost and while a few hundred of us are willing AND able to fork it over, the mass majority of the buying public are going to buy PolyEvolvers, and Tetra modules, etc.

I'd love to be wrong!

//Rant off

-Mike W. from NJ
Last edited by EMwhite on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Moog will eventually make one of the most spectacular analog polysynths ever... but it will cost your soul.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 am

Subtronik wrote:Moog will eventually make one of the most spectacular analog polysynths ever... but it will cost your soul.
that's it? I'M IN! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
www.ctrlshft.com

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 pm

POLY! :D

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Subtronik wrote:Moog will eventually make one of the most spectacular analog polysynths ever... but it will cost your soul.
that's it? I'M IN! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I second that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 pm

i think they already did... its called 16 voyagers LOL!

15 RMEs + 1 Prefomer = $41,020
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:50 pm

ColorForm, we mean a self contained polysynth that is a little less than $41k and a bit smaller than 75 rack spaces. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 am

Voltor07 wrote:ColorForm, we mean a self contained polysynth that is a little less than $41k and a bit smaller than 75 rack spaces. :lol:
Yeah, but would that not be totally awesome?! :shock:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 am

mayidunk wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:ColorForm, we mean a self contained polysynth that is a little less than $41k and a bit smaller than 75 rack spaces. :lol:
If by AWESOME you mean incredibly expensive, and taking up the space of an IBM 360, then yes. :lol:

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 am

I would like to see something that hasn't been done before. I want something innovative like the new controller, Moog guitar, or MF107. Blow us away with your imagination. Give us another way to approach music. There's already enough polysynths, drum machines, and modular gear out there. Continue to challenge us with gear we've never even imagined.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:42 am

Voltor07 wrote:
mayidunk wrote:
If by AWESOME you mean incredibly expensive, and taking up the space of an IBM 360, then yes. :lol:
Dagnabbit! IBM 360s put the first man on the Moon! (Five of them actually... computers, I mean... not men.) If they were good enough for Grandpa, then by golly they're good enough for me! (Again, the computers... not the men.)

||Damned smart mouthed kids these days...||

Oh, wait... we're not talking about vintage computers, we're talking about racking 15 RMEs together with a Voyager to create the world's largest and most expensive analog poly-synth!

Would that not be totally awesome?! :shock:

(Wait-a-minnit! Didn't someone already mention how awesome that would be?)

Author's Note:
It's 3:30AM, I'm tired, and I'm thinking that I'm being rather clever and humorous by writing this stuff. It ain't funny, people, it's just plain sad... I may be going senile over here!

||Senility ain't so bad, I mean after all, you always meet new people and get to have so many wonderful adventurers! ||

Oh well, time for bed... zzzzzzzzz

:lol:

DIGITAL SCREAMS

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Polysynth, chorus pedal and drum machine....

In that order...

DS
Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5 (rev 3.3), Moog Old School (s/n #0317), Yamaha DX7 MKII FD and Roland D50

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Polysynth, chorus pedal and drum machine....

In that order...

DS
I haven't read ALL of the posts in this thread but a Drum Machine is a great great idea. It would apply not to just synth players but DJ types, etc. looking for vintage analog drums (not many of those around).

AND... it could be designed to serve as double duty as an analog sequencer for the rest of us. The most appealing packaging for many of us would be a 2xCP251 sized unit that could be placed upon desk with wood sides or mounted in a 351/251 style rack.

That would fill the gap in my home studio. Right now I'm depending Logic for this. I am considering dumping $4-500 on one of the red Korg units (with the tube, etc.) but would much prefer pony'ing up a few hundred more for a Moog Drum product.

Just a thought.

-Mike W. from NJ