905 reverb

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
yesman

905 reverb

Post by yesman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows the curent value for a R.A. Moog 905 Reverb Module. I aquired it back in '82. with a IIc. I sold the IIc, but kept the reverb. It is from '68 or '69, totally clean and was functioning. I am looking for the schematic so I can power it up.
Thanks
Last edited by yesman on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:09 pm

I know Mike Bucki can build two different versions, a regular one and a voltage controlled reverb, the 905 starting at about $485 and the 925 for $635 respectively.

You could expect yours to be worth AT LEAST that much, but considering that genuine Moog modules explode in value on ebay auctions, you could fetch up to or more than a grand for one.

He can sell you a desktop power supply for about a hundred bucks.

Have you run anything through it or have any comments on its sound?

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

yesman

Hey Eric

Post by yesman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:37 pm

It's been awhile since I've used it. I'm mostly virtual now. Timewarp2600, Minimonsta, etc. But, I remember it had a sound I liked. And yeah it's a 905, my bad! I remember the P/S was something like +6 and -12. I could set my own up. I need to confirm the V's and pin-out

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Its probably good that you held on to that thing, Im sure it sounds nice. Bet you probably wish you held on to the rest of it too. I also understand having hardware to add effects such as reverb and delays and compression really saves your ram for other things like sequencing and tracking.

Keep in mind that theres really no way we can be sure of what something like that might be worth. Im not qualified to answer stuff like that. All we can really go on is what we have seen other modules go for.

Ive been really intrigued by the Voltage controlled reverb, imagine having reverb just suddenly get intense...very cool effect, especially on vocals or something else.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

yesman

Post by yesman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeah, It was a bit dodgy at best, very poor tuning - not just in terms of pitch, but scale also. I did some unintended microtonal stuff sometimes!
It was before my electronics days. Also had a Minimoog with a second OSC card that I made modular. The 2nd card was all transistor and the card in the mini was op-amps, definitely different tones. Had Oddessys, P5's, OB-1, CS-70M, PS-3200.....fun stuff.
I found the 905 schematic, the suppy is actaully -6 / +12, so maybe over the weekend I'll set it up.
The voltage controlled reverb could be done with a reverb unit followed by a VCA with the CV opening and or closing the VCA output. Or the virtual equivalent, I don't know if anyone makes a stand alone VCA VST, I'll have to see what I can find.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 pm

On the software side, maybe set up a send to a reverb and have a noise gate after it being opened with a side chain?
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

revmutt

Re: 905 reverb

Post by revmutt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 pm

yesman wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows the curent value for a R.A. Moog 905 Reverb Module. I aquired it back in '82. with a IIc. I sold the IIc, but kept the reverb. It is from '68 or '69, totally clean and was functioning. I am looking for the schematic so I can power it up.
Thanks
Should you want to sell the unit I sent a PM with my E-mail address.