Analog Sequencer for the Little Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am

Price list is here: http://www.modcan.com/bseries/modulesb.html

The 54B sequencer is listed at $1,674.75

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 am

Squid Tempest wrote:Does the MFB Step 64 allow you to change the length of sequences on the fly? Can you change the loop point from, say the 8th note of the sequence to the 5th note with a simple button press?
Yes and yes. You can change anything while looping : sequence number, individual notes, sequence length, tempo, any other extra CC or CV for each step.

Edit : well... actually, to change the number of steps of a sequence while running, you press a button AND twist a knob. This particular move may not be too DJ like, but is not hard to do. It does it.
Squid Tempest wrote:Presumably the voltage offset would be useful where the CV voltage range of a module didn't match that of the LP? Have I understood that part right?!
Something like that. The CP-251 is an all purpose CV controller, for creative CV handling (like using it's lfo or lag) or matching CV's with some other devices if needed, but again, not required for sequencing in tune with CV's.
Last edited by Portamental on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squid Tempest

Post by Squid Tempest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:39 am

The MFB Step64 is starting to sound rather attractive! I think I was initially put off by the looks of the thing. Silly, I know, but I love the classic look of the Doepfer.

But, if the Step 64 does all the things I want/need and is less than half the price, it is certainly very tempting!

Another remaining concern is that ideally I would have liked a knob per step of the sequence for note changing. What mechanism does the MFB use for note changing?

Thanks for your tolerance of all these queries btw :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Note changing is the easiest it can be on this diminutive interface, and in some ways better than the modular. Press the step number, there you have your dedicated knob. It sounds the note when turned and allows a 5 octave range setting, with the notes written in plain english on the display (G3 C4). The actual octave is irrelevant when using CV's since it's instantly transposable, but this cover a good voltage range for when you want to sequence filters and envelopes for guitar (which I like a lot). Again here, the MP-201 opens more V range.

Definitely, the Step 64 is a well thought of little box (so far, time will tell).
Squid Tempest wrote:Thanks for your tolerance of all these queries btw :)
No problem, I am discovering and having fun at the same time ;)

Edit : One thought about the MFB. It's really a tiny little thing, a rather fragile looking little plastic box, at ease in home or studio use. That does not mean it could not withstand the rigorous use of gigging, maybe it's electronics (micro switches mainly) are as long lasting as anything else. But it sure does not have the size, sturdy feel and look of a DJ style machine like the Electribe or Future Orb.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi I might be late to the party but have you looked at the synth.com Q960 Sequential Controller? http://synthesizers.com/q960.html It seems to be billed as a Moog clone. And the build quality is supposed to be top rate. I was hoping Moog might have some sort of sequencer at the NAAM show next month but after Amos's comments in this thread I'll stop holding my breath.

Dean

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:25 pm

I think they will be showing the world their Taurus pedals.

Hopefully something new too.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Squid Tempest wrote:Does the MFB Step 64 allow you to change the length of sequences on the fly? Can you change the loop point from, say the 8th note of the sequence to the 5th note with a simple button press? If so it might fit my bill.
it does....it's a little tricky, though, requiring you to hold down the shift button and turn the tempo knob to change the sequence length, which is displayed as a number on the LED screen. if you've got a fast tempo happening, it can be tough to land on the right number before the sequence starts over...

Squid Tempest

Post by Squid Tempest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:22 am

That synth.com Q960 Sequential Controller looks interesting. I'm wondering if it is distrubted in the UK, will have to check it out. It certainly looks like the kind of sequencer I'd originally had in mind. Cheers!

Acorkos: thanks for that info, that is exactly the sort of thing I was concerned about.

tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Doepfer's proposed Dark Time Sequencer looks quite promising:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/12 ... encer.html
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

If they can bring it in at a price point similar to their Dark Energy ($625), they could have a real winner. It has almost everything I'm looking for in an analog-style sequencer.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:38 pm

tomoe97 wrote:Doepfer's proposed Dark Time Sequencer looks quite promising:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/12 ... encer.html
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

If they can bring it in at a price point similar to their Dark Energy ($625), they could have a real winner. It has almost everything I'm looking for in an analog-style sequencer.
That would be awesome!
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

ARP

Post by ARP » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 am

"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 am

It sure does but it has a price to match.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Squid Tempest

Post by Squid Tempest » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:23 am

Is there a date for the release of that Doepfer Dark Time sequencer? I'm seriously considering the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 at the moment, as it ticks all the boxes for me.

DeFrag

Re: Analog Sequencer for the Little Phatty?

Post by DeFrag » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm leaning toward the Manikin Schrittmacher.

The genoQs Nemo is a very interesting 2nd.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

monokit

Re: Analog Sequencer for the Little Phatty?

Post by monokit » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:07 pm