Moogertron: an Integrated Patchbay/Case for Moogerfoogers

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
latigid on

Moogertron: an Integrated Patchbay/Case for Moogerfoogers

Post by latigid on » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:07 pm

First off, sorry for some out of focus photos. I'll try and get better ones sometime.

Second, apologies to "Bryan B" for his coining of the name "Moogertron" We came up with a name around a year ago, but obviously didn't have the beast ready.

So what is it?

Well, it's an MF101, 2xMF102, MF103, MF104SD, MF105, MF105B, MF107, a VX-351 and a CP-251 all attached to a big 'ol box (which tilts, naturally!).

There are two DIY, vinyl printed patch panels, the top one is for CV, the bottom for audio. All sockets are the switched type and so where necessary the connections are normalled (e.g. MF102 Carrier Out to Carrier In, MF103 LFO Out to Sweep In etc.). Also to note: the 104(SD)'s CV input sockets must be normalled through a resistor to ground; I'm using 50k.

In addition, all CV outputs (LFOs, oscillators and envelopes) are passed through 100k resistors to provide built-in attenuation. Naturally, the Tap/Step inputs of the MuRFs are separated.

All audio is going through white-coloured shielded cable. All CV is through old DB-25/Centronics printer cables! This way it was easier to keep things tidy and colour-coded. It was still a sh!t-load of soldering. :)

The power supply is a single transformer putting out regulated 9VDC (I'll get an inside picture soon). It's based on an LM338 and needs a big heatsink and a fan just in case. As I noted on another post, there is a small amount of whine on the audio, so I'll be building a new supply with isolated secondary windings on the transformer.

Over 70 bright blue LEDs shining through clear tubing just for looks. :D The light box is lit by white LED strips; they are designed to run off 12VDC, so I hooked it up to the un-regulated DC after the rectifier. The letters are thick laser cut acrylic.

For those with 'foogers and patchbays, it really is nice to have all of the routing right in front of you. Once I got the sockets hooked up I just played with it for a few weeks.

We took it out to "Music Machines"** just on Saturday, where about 100 people came through, including well-known Jazz muso Nathan Haines. We got some really good feedback and lots of awesome comments too ;). The Etherwave was a hit, as was the Voyager for people who hadn't played one (many people in this part of the world). Moog, if you're listening, I think I sold a few ring mods ;).

In terms of construction, my brother Pete handled the design, patchbays, woodwork and painting/staining, and I did the wiring and paid for it. Thanks bro, looks great!

It's intent is to be played live, so I hope that is happening soon.

Your questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Whew!

** Really cool annual ( ?) synth exhibition/workshop in Auckland. Some really cool gear there: 2xP5, P10, ProOne, MiniD, Source, MG-1, Oddy, JP8 Korg Trident, Clav, Wurli 200A, rack of Waldorfs, MS10s, PolySix, SH101s, a few I can't remember and lots of drum machines.

Bryan B

Re: Moogertron: an Integrated Patchbay/Case for Moogerfooger

Post by Bryan B » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 am

latigid on wrote: Second, apologies to "Bryan B" for his coining of the name "Moogertron" We came up with a name around a year ago, but obviously didn't have the beast ready.
I can expect my royalty check pretty soon then? ;)

Seriously though, this thing deserves the Moogertron title more than anything I have going. Congrats on following through on a very beautiful and well executed concept!

I can only hope it inspires Moog to create more things like this.

Thanks for sharing!
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:08 am

that is a lot of audiomangle right there. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 am

THat thing is very very very nice. Are you the same guy who posted the homemaid moog rack awhile back?

I like how you have everything integrated in there, I like all the wood, the lights, and the intention to be a performer.

Looks fun to patch!

Great Job!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am

Wow! Absolutely amazing! Nice work. :D

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Bravo! That is way cool! (You want to make another one for me?)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Sir

You win. That is very cool.

Dean

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments!

@ Bryan B, it's in the mail ;)

@ CTRLSHFT, were you referring to the synth event or the 'foogers? Both were/are pretty crazy. While I get my Midibox Sequencer together, the JoMoX XBase999 does a good job of a 16 step MIDI sequencer.

@ EricK, no this is the first case I've done, I do remember his one though. The cool thing about doing it this way, rather than in 19" racks, is you get to keep all your side panels on ;)

@ Just Me, thanks, and in all seriousness, we could make you one if you wanted.

@ slabwax, it's all about playing the game, right :)? How are those breakout panels coming?

(Thanks "theglyph", just so you don't feel left out ;))

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 am

That looks fantastic. I am in the process of creating patch bays for my foogers but nothing like what you have created. Outstanding!

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 am

One question comes to mind. What did you use to create the custom patch bay? The one drawback I see to what I plan to do is labelling and organizing all the CVs. Having a custom design makes the patching that much easier.

willi

Post by willi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 pm

Very nice work. How much did it cost you?
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:25 pm

^^^ Thanks

Lux_Seeker wrote:One question comes to mind. What did you use to create the custom patch bay? The one drawback I see to what I plan to do is labelling and organizing all the CVs. Having a custom design makes the patching that much easier.
The patchbays are plywood (6mm/ 1/4") which were drilled and covered with a vinyl print. The vinyl was cut away then populated with these seriously hard core 1/4" sockets (they're probably a bit too heavy duty).

Another good thing about a custom patchbay is you use half the number of plugs (to go into the 'foogers) as the other end is soldered directly to a socket and normalled if required. The downside is all the soldering.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 pm

willi wrote:Very nice work. How much did it cost you?
Let me get back to you on that one.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 pm

latigid on wrote:^^^ Thanks

Lux_Seeker wrote:One question comes to mind. What did you use to create the custom patch bay? The one drawback I see to what I plan to do is labelling and organizing all the CVs. Having a custom design makes the patching that much easier.
The patchbays are plywood (6mm/ 1/4") which were drilled and covered with a vinyl print. The vinyl was cut away then populated with these seriously hard core 1/4" sockets (they're probably a bit too heavy duty).

Another good thing about a custom patchbay is you use half the number of plugs (to go into the 'foogers) as the other end is soldered directly to a socket and normalled if required. The downside is all the soldering.
Thanks. I figured that might be the case. I certainly have a soldering iron but I am not sure that I would want to take on something this large scale. This must have taken a long time to create but after all the hard work it certainly seems worth it. Moog should put this one in some prominent place on their board.

ozy

Post by ozy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:18 am

chapeau!

:shock: :)