MF-104z Spillover Mod

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
willi

MF-104z Spillover Mod

Post by willi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi

Does anyone know if the MF-104z Spillover Mod is simply connecting a switch to a jumper inside, or what connection is being bridged/broken on the PCB?

Thanks
willi
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:45 pm

It's more than that or we would have been able to do it with a jack on the back for a remote switch. I love the idea of the mod, I just can not get past that switch mounted like an afterthought on a very expensive pedal. If they would at least mount it on the back....
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 am

Ditto. That radio shack switch is a disaster. There's no way to kick that switch reliably without breaking it. The pedal cost a fortune to begin with. Add $50 to the price tag and do it right; nobody will complain. You either have mucho $$ for it or you spend $200 for a Lexicon and you're happy.

Me, I'm still saving up for one. Will likely be picking up a Synth.com tub reverb for $136 to hold me over until the year 2011 when I can afford the MF104z.

-Mike W. from NJ

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 am

Perhaps the switch is mounted like this to keep the wiring to a minimum?

If you were clever you could probably use a CMOS IC to do the job of a multi-pole switch and run a cable to an external foot pedal. It might compromise the sound though, especially with a cheap chip.

It also could be cool to control the spillover state e.g. with a gate/LFO/envelope or a comparator (i.e. loud signals trigger the mod etc.).

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am

Hey, if folks are not happy with the switch position it's easy to mount it on the back. Just ask. It's custom work anyway, we can put it wherever you want (provided it fits).

As for using a different switch, it has been a problem to find a switch that will fit in the available space. If you have a suggestion for a better switch to use, send me a link and I'll order some.

Thanks,

Amos

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by mayidunk on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Amos wrote:Hey, if folks are not happy with the switch position it's easy to mount it on the back. Just ask. It's custom work anyway, we can put it wherever you want (provided it fits).

As for using a different switch, it has been a problem to find a switch that will fit in the available space. If you have a suggestion for a better switch to use, send me a link and I'll order some.

Thanks,

Amos
Amos, what is the available space and required spec (poles/throws) for the switch?

Some here, although they're pretty pricey:

http://mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/640/1597.pdf

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Those are all pushbutton switches. Would you rather have this as a pushbutton switch and not a toggle?

I had imagined this was a mod you'd want to leave on all the time, rather than something you'd switch on and off during a performance. But if you are wanting to stomp in and out of spillover mode, then a sturdy pushbutton would make more sense.

Heck if it's like that, we could put a full-size stomp switch down near the regular active/bypass stomp switch. Would cost more but it's easy to do it that way. What do you folks think?

Charlie Labs

MF-104z Spillover Mod

Post by Charlie Labs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 am

Could you just make it where the pushbutton that turns on and off the effect acts as a mode selector or make it where you need to hold the button down for x seconds to activate spillover?

If not then as long as placing the 2 buttons next to one another has no ill affects, such as causing the operator to activate both at once or even activate another device in close proximity, I'd be ok with it.

I'm always a fan of the toe kick like on a hammond exp100f pedal used for turning the leslie on and off. Ok that may be a bit silly, my apologies.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:16 am

I had to delete my earlier posting as, after reading Amos' postings again, I finally realized that they never had to put that toggle switch there in the first place. I would have never expected they would just slap a switch on the face plate if it could have been installed elsewhere.

Who'd of thunk it!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 am

well, where would you put it?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:13 am

Amos,
I kind of like the idea of two stomp switches.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Amos wrote:well, where would you put it?
I agree with adding an additional stomp switch.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 pm

With an Led indicating the spillover mod is on? How much would that be?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:54 pm

i'd also like a pony, and a box of graham crackers, and a vintage 1950s ray gun with my spillover mod. :D

all seriousness, the led and 2nd stomp switch is a cool idea, if implementable it'd be worth doing, provided it wouldn't crank up the cost too bad.
www.ctrlshft.com