MuRF Stereo question

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Atomicunderware

MuRF Stereo question

Post by Atomicunderware » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:27 am

I hooked my MuRF up in stereo last night for the first time, and seem to have encountered a problem. When it is bypassed, the signal only appears to be sent to the left/mono output, and not both. Does it only output to both when active? It's a bass MuRF btw.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:36 am

Don't know if this will help you alot....but if i look at the Bass Murf manual it states the following :

AUDIO PATH: The bypassed signal goes to the LEFT/ MONO
output jack. Thus, when the Bass MuRF is bypassed, the signal at
the LEFT/MONO output jack is the same as what your instrument
is producing, and there is no signal at the right output jack. The
MF-105B will not pass an audio signal unless power is applied to
it.

Also keep in mind to use TS cables for the audio signals.

Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks, I missed that in the manual. Answers my question, and is actually quite disappointing...I was hoping the signal would be sent to both outputs when bypassed.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:45 pm

there is a little pad on the circuit board that is like a jumper; you can add a blob of solder there to change the bypass from mono to stereo.

My preference would have been to have stereo bypass be the default, but apparently it slightly weakens the audio output to split it from one channel (mono in) to two channels (stereo out), so mono bypass is the default. Stereo is an option, though... as long as you have access to a nice soldering iron with a fine tip.

Cheers,

Amos

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm

oh hang on; it's only a soldering issue on the new MIDI MuRF.

If you open the back of the regular or bass murf, there is a big obvious black plastic jumper on a row of three pins to set bypass mono/stereo. If it's mono now, move the jumper to the other position and it will be stereo. Easy peasy.

-Amos

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Amos wrote:"there is a little pad on the circuit board that is like a jumper; you can add a blob of solder there to change the bypass from mono to stereo."
Amos,

Is the pad labelled on the circuit board? Could a switch be soldered into the pad, instead of just shorting it with a blob of solder? Would there be any grounding issues if the switch was then mounted to the bottom cover?

Edit: Is there even enough room to mount the switch to the bottom cover?

Thanks,
Bob

Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:49 am

Amos wrote:oh hang on; it's only a soldering issue on the new MIDI MuRF.

If you open the back of the regular or bass murf, there is a big obvious black plastic jumper on a row of three pins to set bypass mono/stereo. If it's mono now, move the jumper to the other position and it will be stereo. Easy peasy.

-Amos
Thanks Amos, great help. Of course I will be replacing my Bass MuRF with a MIDI MuRF at some point, so I will need to get soldering...

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:30 am

Atomicunderware wrote:Thanks Amos, great help. Of course I will be replacing my Bass MuRF with a MIDI MuRF at some point, so I will need to get soldering...
You don't need soldering...just like Amos said...just move the jumper... :wink:

mgrfgrmadness

Post by mgrfgrmadness » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:56 am

thanks Amos i had the same question

Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:15 am

Prime NL wrote:
Atomicunderware wrote:Thanks Amos, great help. Of course I will be replacing my Bass MuRF with a MIDI MuRF at some point, so I will need to get soldering...
You don't need soldering...just like Amos said...just move the jumper... :wink:
I meant I'll need to get soldering when I get the MIDI MuRF :)

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Atomicunderware wrote:I meant I'll need to get soldering when I get the MIDI MuRF :)
Lol...that's true...i get it now... :wink:

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 pm

The short answer as to whether it would be OK to solder a switch to the Midi Murf to enable mono/stereo bypass mode-switching is... I haven't tried it, so I don't know. But it sounds like it would be OK.

Yes the pads are labeled: "IN to L&R" above the pads, and "JMP3" written vertically to the left of the pads. Location is upper middle of the circuit board as you look into the underside of the pedal with bottom plate removed.

Cheers,

Amos

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Amos wrote:The short answer as to whether it would be OK to solder a switch to the Midi Murf to enable mono/stereo bypass mode-switching is... I haven't tried it, so I don't know. But it sounds like it would be OK.

Yes the pads are labeled: "IN to L&R" above the pads, and "JMP3" written vertically to the left of the pads. Location is upper middle of the circuit board as you look into the underside of the pedal with bottom plate removed.

Cheers,

Amos
Thanks, Amos.

Bob

johnman51

Re: MuRF Stereo question

Post by johnman51 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:40 am

Hi everybody!

I was just going to solder my "DIY True ByPASS /Active Splitter" with the integrated board of a Palmer PGA03 and a 4PST Footswitch...
And I just descoverd this solution on this topic!

So 1st: Thank's Amos!!!!
but I have a small question about the signal path:

when you say:
but apparently it slightly weakens the audio output to split it from one channel (mono in) to two channels (stereo out),
Do you mean that it's like a passive y splitter?
Do we loose some signal?
Or does the bypassed signal thru a buffered output ?

Just because I don't realy want to get a loss of signal...
Thanks!

(Sorry for my English)

Untinyunity

Re: MuRF Stereo question

Post by Untinyunity » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi,

Ive been looking for an answer, and found it! Second question; My moog 104m delay keeps the input and output level controls active all the time regardless bypass status. Id like this for my midi-murf too. Is this possible achieve via one of the jumpers or some other setting?

Allthebest Thor