Moog 925 modular reverb

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kevin Lightner

Moog 925 modular reverb

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 am

This is definitely not a module found often, so thought some of you guys would find it interesting.

I'm not sure where I found the photo.
(If anyone would like to claim it, please speak up.) :)

I'd just like to know more about it too.
Perhaps a Moog Custom Engineering piece?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 am

Im looking at the Moog Music Inc Logo and wondering if that is really a part of the old School Moog.

I only Know Moog as R A Moog and Moog Music.

Moog Music Inc is the current company whose forum we all enjoy.

What do you think?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:37 pm

I only Know Moog as R A Moog and Moog Music.
Well, unfortunately, you're mistaken.

Here's a scan I made of a later 921B panel.

As you can see, it says Moog Music Incorporated.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:01 pm

RA Moog made a few custom modules, Moog Music not as many. But that's the first of those I have seen. KE's custom S&H and phase shifters had a different font and panel finish, this VC reverb looks more like a production piece.

PC board or vector-board?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 pm

PC board or vector-board?
I don't know. All I have is this shot from the front.
But I've worked on several Moog 55's that said Moog Music Inc on their modules, so I figured it might be a later production or special order item.
The old Moog Music Inc (not the same Moog company today) occasionally made custom modules.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Looks fun! Im kinda curious to what the "reverb control ins" is all about??? Panning? Reverb/ring mod?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Kevin,

First, a disclaimer: I'm thinking of something that happened almost 35 years ago when I was young and oftimes a bit "altered." That being said, In the mid 70s, I spent a bit of time at Sound Arts. I remember speaking with Dan Wyman about a patch they used on the Apocalyps Now project which involved triggering multiple VCAs with EGs, one before and one after a 905 (coincidentally the one in my IIP). The patch allowed for EG control of drive (input) and amount (output). I vaguely remember him saying something about waiting for, or actually getting, a custom Moog reverb unit to try out. I don't remember ever seeing it, but I do remember the conversation. The logo causes me to have some doubt as if one had been created around that time, it probably would have had the older logo. But perhaps you can reach Dan and ask him.

gazer

Post by gazer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm

R. A Moog 7/26/66

here someone is selling the schematics of the 905 reverb unit along with others we know a bit better. I think you should buy this and build one or many. Anyway Here it is. It's not my auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moog-Blueprints-Spe ... 500wt_1182

Sorry kind of off topic but it's a reverb built by moog I'm assuming before the 925. Who would have documents like this and be selling them? Reverb mystery sort of on topic.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks for posting that pic, Kevin. I have never seen the panel on the 925. I have seen this listed as a Moog module. Mike Bucki has that one listed as one he can reproduce. So if any one wanted one it was $635 in the 2007 price list. (Mike's custom modules usually had an A after the number or new number, like his 1528 S&H.)
There were standard modules that only a few were produced. Other standard modules I have never seen, include the 906 pulse generator, the 913 triggered envelope generator, or the 982 two chanel mixer. Any pics of those? Then there is the rare 901-C output stage, and rarer 901-D variable output stage.

Analogue

925 VC Reverb

Post by Analogue » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm

This is indeed a product of Mike Bucki/Modusonics/MoogCE. I originally found the picture here:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/search?q=925

Which led me to here:

http://oldsocksandnewtoys.blogspot.com/ ... ke%20Bucki

I know he sold another on to Dave Smart of Long Beach? Ca. It is pictured on his site in his large MoogCE modular.

The font doesn't match the sorts that were used for any of the commercial product when the former corporate version of the company existed. Which is usually a sign of a more recent fabrication. They used press on type for these if I recall the story correctly. Evidently the old font is out of stock. I spoke to Mike about this module a few years ago and he had spending considerable time selecting components to satisfy the sonic needs of a customer wanting one of these built. Various drivers for the springs and some filtration I understood.

Dave Smarts Moog is pictured here:
http://www.brainsalad-elp.com/the_moog.htm

p.s. If you look close you can see Dave has one of the CP3O 4 channel mixers that Mike Bucki makes as well in his setup. These contain the same transistor only mixer circuit as used in the vintage 1960's CP3 console panel. Not to be confused with the later CP3A.