Simian Mobile Disco patches

Everything Phatty.
DanZorn

Simian Mobile Disco patches

Post by DanZorn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm a huge fan of Simian Mobile Disco, and I've been trying to recreate some of their sounds on the little phatty, and can only come up with a few that sound alike. I know they use the doepfer and a few other modular and mono synths, but i'm sure with enough thought simular sounds can be created on the little phatty. If anyone has tried to do the same and has been successful, please post the settings for the patches. It would be greatly appreciated.

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 am

Most of the acid and bleepy, tech sounds they create using their Doepfer Modular
To re-create that you would need a decent sequencer (I recommend the Future Retro Revolution/Orb or with software assuming you have a MIDI interface)

For bass sounds they use a Korg MS-20 so try changing your filter settings to two pole
Try using two pulse/square waves set at different footages with a bit of pitch modulation (listen to 'I Got This Down') as well

These are the settings I used to use on my Little Phatty to emulate their MS-20, until I bought one last night!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:57 am

alamilla wrote:Most of the acid and bleepy, tech sounds they create using their Doepfer Modular
To re-create that you would need a decent sequencer (I recommend the Future Retro Revolution/Orb or with software assuming you have a MIDI interface)

For bass sounds they use a Korg MS-20 so try changing your filter settings to two pole
Try using two pulse/square waves set at different footages with a bit of pitch modulation (listen to 'I Got This Down') as well

These are the settings I used to use on my Little Phatty to emulate their MS-20, until I bought one last night!
I wish Korg would put some R&D into reissuing MS-20s (no not the VA crap)... they'd be printing money. :p
www.ctrlshft.com

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:I wish Korg would put some R&D into reissuing MS-20s (no not the VA crap)... they'd be printing money. :p
They would but not sure as to whether it would be financially viable for the company, particularly considering the economic climate.
Besides, even if they did you would get a bunch of people complaining that it didn't sound like the original.

It is a shame though because the market for these vintage synths has been blown way out of proportion (I would never pay what the Japanese are asking for one on eBay).
http://www.myspace.com/skipteque