Getting a broken LP fixed in UK - any experiences?

Everything Phatty.
locky

Getting a broken LP fixed in UK - any experiences?

Post by locky » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:17 pm

I am having a lot of trouble with my LP Stage as it has frozen while I was updating to 2.2 (As I have explained in 'My LP is dead' thread), I have tried the debugger route which has also been unsuccessful so am now thinking I may have to send it back to moog from the UK. Has anyone done this? If so any advice on best method / cost effective way of sending it and how long it takes and how expensive it might be to fix?

Also has anyone used anywhere in the UK to help with this kind of issue? I see Cimple in London have been mentioned, I would love to know if anyone with a similar issue has managed to get it sorted out like this? Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks.

Lowdene

Post by Lowdene » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:36 am

My LP froze, not immediately upon the update, but a few days afterwards. Nothing I could do to get it to work. It was still under warranty so I took it back to the retailer and they sent it to the Moog UK distributors who fixed it. Took about 3 weeks. I wasn't charged because it was under warranty. Outside warranty I guess they would have charged.

locky

Post by locky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks, good to know they managed to fix it for you. I have been in touch with Amos now and have tried one last go but still no luck - it's not under warranty now so its going to go to Cimple or another company in London - so fingers crossed will be up and running soon!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 am

Another engineer here said that he's often gotten that same error when trying to connect to the USB debug adapter, if he's using a USB hub or sometimes the USB ports on the front of computers (these front ports are typically not directly attached to the motherboard, like the ones on the back typically are). So you may have a dodgy USB connection or a faulty debug adapter. If you'd rather send it to a tech at this point, I'd compare prices between Cimple and HHB... and might recommend HHB (just because we're in closer touch with them these days - no slight against Cimple Solutions intended).

Lowdene

Post by Lowdene » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Amos, reading across the forum there seem to be a very high number of problems related to firmware updates. Is there any way of making this more robust? I would be very nervous about doing this again. Maybe they should ship with a debugger.

locky

Post by locky » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am

I agree, it seems to be a very common problem - it is v worrying. I have now arranged to send it away to be fixed as I am not happy keep opening it up repeatedly to access the board (to fix the debugger to). I let you know once it is fixed, which hopefully won't be too long!

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Lowdene wrote:Amos, reading across the forum there seem to be a very high number of problems related to firmware updates. Is there any way of making this more robust?
I just had a good talk with our head engineer about this today. We're actively working to improve the firmware update process and make it more robust. I am truly sorry for the problems thus far, and am committed to making it a safe and reliable procedure in the future.

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 am

I would like my Stage Edition to have the Stage II USB upgrade.
Can this be done by the UK Distributor?
As that would really cut my postage expenses down as you can well imagine!
http://www.myspace.com/skipteque

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Yes, or you can do the Stage II upgrade yourself; it's a field upgrade. Perhaps ring Source/HHB and see if they'll order the upgrade kit for you.

groovechemist

Re: Getting a broken LP fixed in UK - any experiences?

Post by groovechemist » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:30 pm

Mine has just done the same not at all happy