Is the LP less than or equal to the Voyager? Hummm

Everything Phatty.
Cole Gaskins

Is the LP less than or equal to the Voyager? Hummm

Post by Cole Gaskins » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:25 pm

People seem to think that the LP is a dumbed down or lesser version of the Voyager. I seem to think they are equal with different roles to play. What is your opinion? Student or One with the Master?

C :D LE

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:43 pm

It isn't dumbed down, but overall I do think it is a lesser instrument. It does have a few tricks of its own - arpeggiator and the overdrive circuit, for example. The Voyager just offers so much flexibility with its signal routing and additional oscillator.

Having said that, the LP is one of the most inspiring instruments I've owned.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Dumbed-down is a pretty deceptive term for it... the Voyager isn't that hard to learn, and there's just as many menus to deal with on the LP, if not more.

Feature wise, there are less on the LP, but there are also some features absent on the Voyager that are present on the LP.

They both fill an important niche. I'm in the equal with different roles to play camp.
www.ctrlshft.com

nickster

More more more

Post by nickster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:59 pm

No the LP is in it's own right a classic. Comparing it to a Voyager is silly. IMO they both fill very differing needs in the synth world. I love my LP to bits and am loath to hear any negative dumbing down. As Bob's last design it is a statement in how to achieve the most with a 2 osc all analogue design and for it's price it's worth every single penny. Bless you Bob for making something so brilliant at such a reasonable cost. Would not change it for anything nor swap it, nor loan it out, nor stand for any demeaning comments. Voyager buffs I envy your purchase but LP for me goes way beyond sexy teritory into that hard to find love zone of synths. OK so I'm biased and some but in the end "Bessie" my LP does it for me every time.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 pm

I own and love them both. Each has sounds the other can't reproduce. However, for my needs I turn to the Voyager first. The extras that come with the Voyager really come in handy and are an integral part of my performance. The "dumber" description for the LP really is not appropriate nor accurate.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:42 pm

I have both and they both inspire me in different ways in different scenarios. I tend to use the Voyager when I'm feeling like I want to tweak alot. I tend to use the LP when I want to get an expressive sound quickly. Mind you, they can both fill the opposite role as well. They are both great instruments in their own right.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:08 pm

They are so different, yet Moog's in their own right.

In the Voyager you get an instrument with a better feel (wood helps), much nicer keyboard to play, full knob job, Midi, loads of patches, 3 osc's (I love 3 Oscs patches), build and engineered at the right time, well almost. It was late enough for the product to end up a "modern" product, yet it has aged somewhat in terms of in-house technology. Seems awfully complicated to add arpeggiator for reasons that are probably not foreign.

On the other hand, the LP benefits from 5 more years advance in circuitry, plus Bob's direct supervision. IMO, it kicks the socks of the Voyager in bang for the "Phats". Absolutely a breeze to use even with it's fewer knobs. I find the Phatty more bassy. It's well made, sturdy feeling (keyboard a bit cheesy). An incredible success for an entry level lower cost machine that delivers big Moog sound. If it had a third Osc, it would overlap dangerously in Voyager territory. And now the LP has 5 CVs out.... OMG!!! Not a diminutive instrument, no sirreeee bob!

I want the Voyager in my living room for nice playing and practicing, and long time messing around with knobs... then bang the performance out of the LP...there should be one of those things around every next corner.

So no one really knows what the next Voyager will be, or the LPS3. But the LP is moving around, and going places. A better choice as a platform IMO for a major successor in the Moog line up, whatever name it ends up with ( or number of voices ;) ).

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Bravo! Well said. :D

boomtchik

Post by boomtchik » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 am

I also use the voyager coupled with the little phatty
Have to tune them at same freq and then its simply magic :)
voyager + phatty = 5 osc with different mod bus
mium

ldtregent

Post by ldtregent » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:11 am

I haven't played with a Voyager enough to know what the differences might be but I think there is much more to the LPS2 than I expected. I love it and even if I get a Voyager I expect I would continue to use it.
LDT

http://regentisland.com/morningpages

http://pingthings.blogspot.com/2010/03/quadra-station-by-lorne-david-thomson.html

http://pingthings.blogspot.com/2009/10/download-swimming-alone-by-lorne-david.html

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 am

I'm in the space that says it's a different and lesser in terms of programming options, yet still a fantastic synth.

I mean, a Gallardo is never going to be as powerful as a Murcielago (for those not in the know, I'm talking about Lamborghinis here), but they're both still incredible and deeply desirable cars in their own individual right.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:I mean, a Gallardo is never going to be as powerful as a Murcielago (for those not in the know, I'm talking about Lamborghinis here), but they're both still incredible and deeply desirable cars in their own individual right.
nice :D
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:03 am

I love my Little Phatty to bits and it gets used on everything I record

I'm in a bit of a dilemma though in that I have been offered quite a good price on a Voyager SS Fire but it would mean losing my LP :(
I've also had a good offer on a Korg MS-20 but that on the other hand would leave me with two synths!

Does anyone feel I will get more synth for my money with the Voyager vs. the Little Phatty + Korg MS-20?

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:08 pm

alamilla wrote:I love my Little Phatty to bits and it gets used on everything I record

I'm in a bit of a dilemma though in that I have been offered quite a good price on a Voyager SS Fire but it would mean losing my LP :(
I've also had a good offer on a Korg MS-20 but that on the other hand would leave me with two synths!

Does anyone feel I will get more synth for my money with the Voyager vs. the Little Phatty + Korg MS-20?
LP + MS-20 is way more synth for your buck. CV wise they don't play especially well together though, ms20 is hz/v instead of v/oct for instance. The Voyager is one hot mama but I wouldn't give up a LP and a MS-20 for one.
www.ctrlshft.com

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Korg MS-20 deal has fallen through but I will still be keeping my eyes peeled for one

I'm buying a Moog MP-201 and Future Retro Revolution instead
reckon they should both add some interesting sounds to my production