LP -> MIDI -> PROTOOLS

Everything Phatty.
Viplay

LP -> MIDI -> PROTOOLS

Post by Viplay » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 am

I'm sorry for my bad english, but this is...

I am a beginner in the field of synthesis of sound and home recording and i would ask:

• Can a synth, via MIDI, play its own sounds?
I'll explain better: I want to play my Little Phatty on ProTools, and then synchronize the click of ProTools with the sounds of the Little Phatty via MIDI, how can I do? Anyway I need a virtual instrument made from Reason?

• What i would do is to have the arpeggiator in time with the click of ProTools.

...And one last thing: what kind of track I have to open on ProTools to record what comes out via MIDI from LittlePhatty?

or needs anyway virtual instruments taken from Reason?

nickster

Post by nickster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Viplay welcome to the world of Moog!
Ok first lets handle how you get your DAW (ProTools) to send /recieve midi notes from your Little Phatty. Sadly I don't have Protools, however the principals are exactly the same whichever DAW you use.
Open up a midi track in Protools and assign it to the Little Phatty. You should now be able to record the notes you play on the LP as midi notes. If you want to also record the audio then you will have to create an audio track as well. Set the metronome to on so that it clicks and record in what you wish to. So now you will have 2 tracks, one that records the midi data sent from your little phatty and one that records the audio.
If you replay these tracks you will hear what you recorded.
Ok thats basic stuff about how you can interact with Protools and the LP.
Moving on to your questions about Reason.
Reason by itself will not be able to send any midi to the LP. So it will not work with the LP in any sense directly. However what you can do is to ReWire Reason into Protools and so within ProTools you will be able to record in a Reason synth say Thor and also record in your Little Phatty in the manner I described above.
Hope that this helps.
Nick

Viplay

Post by Viplay » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:14 am

First of all thank you for the welcome NICKSTER!

At this point i think there is any problem in my Little Phatty, because when i create a MIDI track on ProTools and play, the signal arrives, but no sound comes out.
Can you tell me, how they should be set MIDI commands from the Master LP?
Or, is there any change to be done in the preferences of ProTools?

I've fear, that there is a problem with mine LP...

:cry:

nickster

Post by nickster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:45 am

Viplay wrote:First of all thank you for the welcome NICKSTER!

At this point i think there is any problem in my Little Phatty, because when i create a MIDI track on ProTools and play, the signal arrives, but no sound comes out.
Can you tell me, how they should be set MIDI commands from the Master LP?
Or, is there any change to be done in the preferences of ProTools?

I've fear, that there is a problem with mine LP...

:cry:
Checklist LP's usb cable connected to the pc. audio card set as default audio in ProTools.
I'm thinking that the problem wont be with your LP. But just in case if you connect your LP directly to the amp do you hear anything when you play? If yes then you are ok.
I am no expert on ProTools so I'm hoping that someone who knows this DAW well will chime in here. However you will need to set up an audio channel as well as the midi one. In that way you can hear the LP through the audio channel and record it's midi output on the midi channel.
Hope this helps
Nick

notteincubo

Post by notteincubo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:25 am

I talk in mp with Viplay and i think he have the same problem of this topic:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7320

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:44 pm

in order to hear the phatty audio when it is triggered (played) by an incoming midi track (from pro tools) you must have the audio out from the phatty connected to your soundcard "IN" port and have an audio track in PTools configured for that audio input. enable the sound (monitor) on that the audio track and when the phatty recieves a midi signal from protools it will play the selected patch on the phatty thru the audio in protools. There is NO SOUND IN MIDI..only note information.

PHATTY (audio out) ------------> (soundcard audio in) - PTools Audio Track

PHATTY (midi in) <------------- (midi out computer) - PTools Midi Track

hope this helps some ;)

Cheers ;)

LPTE #585

Viplay

Post by Viplay » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello, thanks for the advice, but still does not work ... leaving only the audio and midi ...
As in figure ...

Viplay

Post by Viplay » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:40 pm

I should also clarify that i always go via MIDI throug the sound card and with this cable:

Viplay

Post by Viplay » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Ok, i solved by putting the MIDI OUT of the Little Phatty to MIDI IN of the soundcard ... but there is latency of sound and i do not understand why, when i register a part and then i change with the cursor of the mouse the note on the MIDI track, does not change the AUDIO as i changed on MIDI...

Viplay

Post by Viplay » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:24 am

When I plug, MIDI Out of the Little Phatty to the MIDI In of your sound card and the other cable from the MIDI IN to MIDI OUT of the Little Phatty sound card, I get this screen and hangs around as if there was an error.

Appears that symbol next to "PRESET ACTIVE".

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:45 pm

that symblos means that the midi messages are being recieved by you LP, i'ts not an error...
..::PATOBRUJO::..

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

you have all the connctions correct....now all you need to do is read the help files on how to use/configure protools properly..sounds like you have MIDI-THRU turned on which would hang the Phatty as it sets up a midi loop. Happy reading ;)