Beating a dead horse ?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
slabwax

Beating a dead horse ?

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:01 am

So Moog has proved that they are willing to listen to what it's loyal customers want. (C.V. outputs on the LP, Taurus III pedals.) Moog also needs to sell us new things. Sooooo If we petition Moog to make CP style foogers ( you all knew I had to be going somewhere with this) maybe they will act.

So first question: How many foogers would you replace outright for new foogers?

#2: How many foogers would you send back to N.C. to have retrofitted?

#3 How much would you pay for a retrofit?
Please remember Moog is a for profit company. We know that they will sell an empty CP case for $25.00. I do not know if that is also with wood sides or not. Also is that case painted and screen printed. We also know that labour is $80.00 an hour. So in order for Moog to even to think about this they would need to turn a profit.

#4 As with the Taurus pedals they did take a partial payment. Would you be willing to prepay some if not all of fees up front in order for Moog to get started on developing this project? (obviously refundable if the project never came to fruition).

I have not talked to anyone at Moog. I have no idea if they would even entertain this. But if they see that there is enough people willing to buy or mod existing pedals maybe they move forward.

Thanks
Dean
Last edited by slabwax on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:15 am

So I thought I would start. It's only fair.

I would buy all new foogers as Cp style.

I would have all my foogers moded
5 now and six to be when the midi murf is released.

I think it would have to cost at least $100-$125
$25 or so for the box, and an hour of labour.

I would prepay up to half.

If this doesn't fly It will be time to sort out the patch bay solution/

Dean

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:27 am

I'll go along with this. I'd even pay up to $50 for the enclosure alone. I only have two MF's to be retrofitted, and I'd buy all new ones as CP-251 style units.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 am

I only have one floor sytle fooger and 2 CP cased. I balk at buying anymore foogers because of the floor box configuration. I've got 8 CV pedals, 2 sustain buttons and a Roland FC200 on the floor already. I have NO ROOM for anything else down there that I can't touch the knobs on. I have plenty of room for CP sized units, but no room for the floor ones on the rack, they are too costly of space.
So, it's build them CP cased or I won't buy them.Utility/ergonomics are too important. If it's on the floor, I can't use it.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:18 am

Best case scenario: I would probably sell my old pedals and then buy each of the CP versions as they sold.

I would want the CP style more than the pedal style, but the pedals do have a nice look when racked.

I would pay $150 each to get my current pedals (6 total) changed to the CP style. This would also mean that I would need to get 3 more CP style racks :)

Overall opinion from me: Yes to the potential CP style offerings!
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:12 am

Perhaps this would not be a welcome comment but right now, I have my foogers rack mounted with a Vodoo Labs power supply which supply power to all my foogers 4, and a CP-251 very nicely. Why not simply take this a step futher and make modules and add triggers and gates? I sometimes ask myself why I did not get a modular. I love my foogers but the only real thing holding me back from getting a modular is the cost of a cabinet and power supply and I spent the money on a rack and a power supply anyway. What is the difference?

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Lux,

All comments are welcomed. As far as I'm concerned, I would be happy to just buy the Moog rack kits if there was a real good means to have access to the rear jacks. I know a lot of people have used patch bays. But if you read those threads there is always " it works fine but this jack and that jack can't be hard wired to the patch bay" I want simple and easy access to the ins and outs (I guess it's just like dating). There is a lot of wasted real estate on the foogers. One-third of the pedal is dedicated to the bypass/engage button. I guess I feel that the CP cases are more user friendly, at least for this end user.

Dean

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Would there be any interest in getting custom made cases/panels for the users that wish to do so? This may be the only option if Moog themselves don't have the time/resources. Maybe we should ask them/sort-of get permission?

I'd say with a decent number of orders, the price would be pretty reasonable. It would have to be a DIY job from there, though. Let me spec-out a basic design in FPE.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:51 pm

latigid on wrote:Would there be any interest in getting custom made cases/panels for the users that wish to do so? This may be the only option if Moog themselves don't have the time/resources. Maybe we should ask them/sort-of get permission?

I'd say with a decent number of orders, the price would be pretty reasonable. It would have to be a DIY job from there, though. Let me spec-out a basic design in FPE.
YES! If someone offered custom 251 cases, labeled appropriately, I would definitely go this route, provided the boards will fit going from the MF case to the CP case. Everything else would be easy for me. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:27 pm

I too would be interested in an after-market solution. If Moog is unable to offer it for what ever reason I would look elsewhere. I did take the bottom plate off my low pass last night, four of the jacks are board mounted. That does make things more difficult (for me anyways). if the jacks are connected via a multi pin connector it makes it some what ez I'd think. Amos or Mr. Lightner any thoughts or input?

Dean

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:12 am

This is what I have so far. It's roughly based off CTRLSHFT's design

It's mostly to scale, the MF102 board would fit straight in. I didn't put in his attenuator, though. It needs a few more graphics, some sort of switch and power connection. The engravings for the RATE and FREQUENCY were a bit harder, so I just used the ones for the other knobs.

This panel would cost US$118 (not quite finished). There's a 10, 20 and 30% discount for 5, 10 and 20 panels respectively.

For just the holes and aluminium panel it goes to $29 with the same respective discounts.

And this is the panel only. It would be great if you had rails and a case in a modular setting, but I would imagine most would want a folded metal enclosure with wooden sides.

Any input is welcome. If you would like the .fpd file, please PM me.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 am

latigid on wrote:This is what I have so far. It's roughly based off CTRLSHFT's design

It's mostly to scale, the MF102 board would fit straight in. I didn't put in his attenuator, though. It needs a few more graphics, some sort of switch and power connection. The engravings for the RATE and FREQUENCY were a bit harder, so I just used the ones for the other knobs.

This panel would cost US$118 (not quite finished). There's a 10, 20 and 30% discount for 5, 10 and 20 panels respectively.

For just the holes and aluminium panel it goes to $29 with the same respective discounts.

And this is the panel only. It would be great if you had rails and a case in a modular setting, but I would imagine most would want a folded metal enclosure with wooden sides.

Any input is welcome. If you would like the .fpd file, please PM me.
Awesome! This would indeed incredible if it were a CP-251 style box and not merely a panel, but I understand that it would also be insanely expensive to have just one box made. Moog probably pays $50 apiece for those enclosures, drilled and silkscreened. :shock:

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:04 am

Hey, it would be much cheaper to silkscreen the text and lines than use the FPE engravings. Any good sources?

If the panel was extended slightly, then it could be folded into a CP-style box.

Hmmm, complicated...

:)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:10 pm

latigid on

Thanks for the time in making the mockup. I would be happy to look into silkscreening Monday morning. We could just leave it as a rack mount sort of thing and not worry about folding it. If a full enclosure is doable and we can't order wood panels from Moog we could most likely get them from synth wood. All the work I've seen from him looks top notch. if we sent him a set of CP sides I'm sure he could copy them.

The murf unit might cost a bit more. The sliders holes might be more costly. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I can have the tech were I work take a look at the insides to see how much of a project it would be to make up new longer jack harnesses and reconfiguring the jacks that are hard mounted. I won't see him until Tuesday or Wednesday. I for one don't want start soldering in new jacks. Some people might not have a problem with it, but me I'll leave it to some who knows what they doing.

Dean

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:04 pm

i just took the bottom plate of my 4 foogers 101,102,104zv,107 it looks like all of the boards except the 104z should be able to just swap into a new case. The delay's board is the entire length off the housing. that might cause some problems. Does any one have a 103 & 105 they can open up?

Dean