Introducing the MF-105M MIDI MuRF

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:43 am

This off course puts me off from buying a MF-104z all to soon;-) I couldn't cope with the news of one that accepts Midi-Clock whilst owning one that can't. I already own a LP Tribute (living in Switzerland the upgrade is difficult to get) and a OS MURF;-)

(I smile because compared to others I seem to be able to look on the bright side of life and be thankful for owning any of the great gear Moog produces)

So dear MoogPeople, when will the analog delay accepting Midi Clock be available?

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:27 pm

the murf is already great, this new stuff takes it over the top.

I think the regular murf will still be attactive to guitarists and bass players who don't often get into MIDI.

I love my murf, but I see me getting one of these FOR SURE!

Hope everyone's well,

PK

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Quick question about the new murf, did it keep the pattern that leaves all frequencies open to be kinda used as a graphic eq? Also will the frequency controls be polyphonic via midi?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:Quick question about the new murf, did it keep the pattern that leaves all frequencies open to be kinda used as a graphic eq? Also will the frequency controls be polyphonic via midi?
Yes, and yes. :)

There's also a mode where you can step the pattern forward one step per MIDI note, which means any manner of swing/shuffle or funky timing you want while still keeping the patterns going... in addition to just playing the filters directly via MIDI notes. I am still wrapping my head around all the potential uses of this pedal... it is quietly revolutionary.

the "EQ mode" preset has new MIDI features as well:
you can send a dedicated MIDI CC to control the level of each filter band,
and you can hit a MIDI note to instantly kill/mute any frequency band while leaving the others open (great for DJ-style bass/treble kill on the fly)

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:19 am

Amos wrote:the "EQ mode" preset has new MIDI features as well:
you can send a dedicated MIDI CC to control the level of each filter band,
and you can hit a MIDI note to instantly kill/mute any frequency band while leaving the others open (great for DJ-style bass/treble kill on the fly)
You guys really brought some cool features to this version. :D

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 am

Last night as I was falling asleep I thought, Midi velocity control of the band levels will be interesting.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 am

Wow that's a whole lot more than I expected. Im throwing in my vote that this will be the most powerful/versital fooger out of the line
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Please pardon if this is spam... check Nova Musik's pre-order special for this.

Not bad... :D

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:27 pm

I called Nova Music today. They do have a great price. I'm going to pre order mine next week. I'll then be well on my way to the 6 pack o fun.

Dean

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:33 am

Pre-ordered mine...
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Amos

MF-105M demo (repost from analog heaven)

Post by Amos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey all,

Just finished MidiMuRF firmware v1.0 and it's officially in production... woohoo!
I recorded a bit of messing about last night as I was doing the final testing and thought it would be fun to share.

This is a little mix of no musical consequence... just some string chords from a VST synth (Alchemy) run thru the MIDI MuRF in a couple of different modes, and two layers of percussion (sequenced samples) also given the MuRF-overkill treatment.

technical details: The string synth is samples-only; all of Alchemy's effects layers are turned off.
The drums are sequenced by me using samples from Battery and Goldbaby's Cassette808 kit.

Sequenced, arranged and recorded in Ableton Live; output to 44.1kHz 16bit .wav and converted to 320kbps CBR mp3. Wave files available if anyone is interested (about 16MB each).

The drums have some VST compression after the MuRF to even out the dynamics a bit; no other effects.
The string line in the full mix has a 25%-wet ping-pong delay after the MuRF because that's how I'd use it "in real life" -- the string solo track has no effects, just string synth thru MuRF.

In the full mix, you first hear the string chords that are the entire melodic content, dry with no MuRF.
Then you hear the MuRF filtering these chords with a factory preset "animation" pattern synchronized to the MIDI clock. After this, you hear one of the new MIDI note modes, where the MuRF filters are gated/played directly from a MIDI keyboard using notes C4-C5 (1 octave of white keys). I preformed the MIDI "live" then quantized to 16th notes and played the quantized notes into the MuRF to get the tight yet humanized gate effect from the filters.

So ok... probably took longer to read all that than it will take to listen to the clips... so here they are. :-)

full mix:
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/midimu ... trings.mp3

strings solo (gated via MIDI notes played "live" (quantized after the fact) from a controller keyboard):
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/midimu ... s-solo.mp3

drums solo (2 layers, each is dry drum samples thru MIDI MuRF synced to host tempo):
http://seamslikereality.com/moog/midimu ... s-solo.mp3

This does not even begin to scratch the surface of what you can do with this pedal... The MIDI implementation opens up a world of new possibilities. I'm pretty excited.

Cheers,

Amos

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Very cool!

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks for the update.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:32 pm

mayidunk wrote:Please pardon if this is spam... check Nova Musik's pre-order special for this.

Not bad... :D
A quick note...

I paid for this with Paypal. When I spoke with Nova, they told me to make a note with my payment that I had spoken with one of the salespeople, and that I qualified for the pre-order special price. He said that the Paypal order would charge me the full price, and that I would get a partial refund of $60 afterward. To date, I hadn't received the refund, but figured it would happen when they shipped.

I was speaking with Nova yesterday about something else, and asked about when the MMs would be shipping. (soon...) Anyway, I asked about when the refund would occur, and after looking at my order the salesperson said he was surprised that it hadn't happened yet, and so processed the refund there and then.

The salesperson seemed genuinely surprised that the refund hadn't happened yet, so if any of you used Paypal for your pre-order, you might want to look into this for yourselves.

FYI...

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 pm

They did this for me in about two seconds. Must've been an anomaly.