mp-201 pedal position vs. preset value

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
RAH

mp-201 pedal position vs. preset value

Post by RAH » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 am

Hi.

I'm just wondering about the mp-201 pedal. How does the unit handle
the initial pedal position value of presets vs. the actual physical position of the pedal when the preset is selected? For example, what if the physical position of the pedal is toe depressed(down) or at +5V when a preset is selected and the preset has an initial value of heel depressed(up) or at -5V? Does the value snap to the +5V as soon as you try to move it? Or does the pedal not affect that parameter until it reaches the position of the preset value?

I know with the LP there are settings for the behavior of continuous knobs to address this, but I'm not sure how this pedal would be able to address that issue.

I'm probably going to purchase this pedal within a week or so I guess I'll find out, but I'm just wondering... Thanks in advance.

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 am

this is what i can tell after a few months of using the MP: when you create a preset it has 4 channels, each channel is capable of sending a CV signal, a Program change message and a CC message.

The channels can be set in 3 modes: expression, lfo or gate, if you set the channel in expression mode you can program the toe and heel values, and offset value and an initial value. When you recall that preset (if the channel initial mode is ON), the channel will be in the initial value that you set, once you move the pedal, the pedal sets the value for that channel. So to answer your question, if the pedal is at the toe position and the initial value set for the channel is different from the toe value you program, once you move the pedal the value snaps to the pedal value.

If you ask me this feature is useful to some aplications, because if you want the pedal to act just like a normal expression pedal you set the initial value the same as the heel value and there you have it.

cheers
..::PATOBRUJO::..