should I purchase a second voyager or something else?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dingebre

should I purchase a second voyager or something else?

Post by dingebre » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:50 am

I own a voyager RME, which I completely love.

However, I would like to add a second analog synthesizer with a keyboard to my system. Not having a lot of experience, I'd like some rational advice and help in decision making from others who are real musicians and have likely tried some or all of the instruments which I am considering.

At present, I've whittled my choices down to three:

1. A second MiniMoog Voyager
2. Little Phatty 2
3. Dave Smith Prophet 8

If i could, I'd buy all three, and someday might but the piggy bank can't do it.

Some obvious thoughts:
1. Nice to have a duophonic Voyager as well as the native touch pad, and expression controls.
2. The Little Phatty gives a different sound that would be nice
3. The Prophet is an 8 voice synthesizer with a very different filter/oscillator (Curtis chip based) combination to give yet even more depth to what I can do (which assumes that I have any talent which is really not clear...)

That said... is there any input from the peanut gallery?

David

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:42 am

I don't much care for the DSI architecture. Sounds a bit weak to my ears. The Sam Ash by me has a P 08 next to an LP II. Guess who wins the tonality contest? Hint: The Prophet almost ties with the LP II if you hold the last eight notes at the bottom of the keyboard on a bass patch.

What I DO like about the Prophet is the organ sounds and Polymoog-emulating patches it can produce. I guess it all depends on the sound you're going for, and features you want/need. LP does bass...quite well, actually. It also does sound effects and leads. Very well-rounded. Of course, the Voyager does them in stereo, with an extra oscillator, and no arpeggiator.

If you go with the P 08, do yourself a HUGE favor and get the knob upgrade. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts.

David

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:02 am

I would buy a polyphonic one. If I have the money, i'll get the andromeda
http://www.psicolor.de

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:30 am

I have the 3 instruments you are considering. You know about the Voyager so I won't discuss it.

The LP is great. I bought mine to have the Moog sound in a portable package. It more than fit the bill and I'm very happy with the tweak-ability - especially when you add an EP-2 to control the filter. You can make some very expressive sounds with the LP and the ability to connect it to your Voyager (and foogers) is a big plus. I play mine through an analog delay and a fuzz pedal (sometimes) and it sounds great!

The P08 is an instrument I have a love/hate relationship with. When you get past the presets and start creating your own sounds it has a wonderful warmth and organic sound. I really like the sound (in mono more than stereo believe it or not due to it's insane panning of every other voice - which you can control if you want.) It makes sounds that the Moogs can not - some really wonderful beds to solo over (on the Moog) in fact. :-) The built-in sequencer is cool for building sounds that evolve and move. it's a great instrument - but the knobs suck. There is a potentiometer edition now but I don't have experience with that. If it had knobs like a Virus or Nord or Moog it would bring this instrument to a whole different level. I go back and forth on selling it but don't think I will since the sound is so unique and useful to me at the moment. I play it through an analog delay most of the time. The audio mod feature is really awesome sounding and makes an otherwise stale sound come to life with movement.

Hope this helps.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

pangmaster

Post by pangmaster » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm

I would agree with psicolor. Do you have any analog polysynths in your arsenal? If not, you should 8)

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:44 pm

+1 for andromeda
My dream setup is a voyager and the A6 I think as far as modern synths go they a perfect pair. there are some great demos on you tube. I've also become quite fond of the jomox sunsynth lately but its no longer in production so the price would probably be kinda high if you can find one
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step