effects pedal suggestions for theremin

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
corkyburger

effects pedal suggestions for theremin

Post by corkyburger » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:04 am

i own a etherwave and really want to get a good delay or reverb pedal to use for live gigs. Ideally I would get the moogerfooger delay but since they have stopped makint it it is impossible to get them. Anyone have any suggestions for cool effects that would be usefull for live theremin?

what are you using?

thanks

Don

Post by Don » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:45 pm

For a surprisingly inexpensive effect, try the Arion SAD-3. It has a couple of benefits. First, being analog, it warms up the sound a bit. Second, because the output is stereo, it livens the sound (especially if you output in stereo).

I also like to use an octave pedal. The Boss is good, but some people like the inexpensive Arion, too. Both feature not just one sub-octave, but two. But mixing them way down (so you just get a hint from the octave and sub-octave) the tonal quality becomes much thicker.

Other effects you might like include a looper. This gives you the opportunity to play in harmony with yourself or do multiple parts. The Line 6 DL-4 gives up to 14 seconds of memory, which may be enough. Pamelia uses it on the new Etherwave Pro DVD. Be careful, though. It has stereo in and out, but if you put stereo in, the signal is summed and you lose true stereo. The Akai E2 is new and gives up to 35 seconds of looping. I've heard mixed reports on the E1 and have not tried the E2. The Boomerang+ gives up to an amazing 4 minutes of time (with reduced sound quality). It's more expensive than the Line 6 or Akai, but it is a massive pedal with all sorts of foot-operated controls. Drawback: it's huge! It's 17 inches wide. Finally, possbily the best looper around is the Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus. It has the best sound quality and 3.2 minutes of loop time. Drawback: 3-5X the price of the other units. It's rack mounted, so add more for the foot controller. There's also the Hughes & Ketner Replex Tube-Driven Tape Delay Simulator which is warm because of the tube, but also fragile because of it.

Other effects you might try are some sort of distortion, wah, chorus, perhaps a vocal enhancer. Speaking of enhancers, you might want to add that to your signal.

And then, there is the ultimate cheat box, the Antares AT-1. It will instantly shift the notes you play to being perfectly in tune. You might want a chromatic tuner, too.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:29 pm

I have a friend who uses a crybaby wah, boss octave, and some cheap fender tuner and that does miracles for his sound. But it sounds best if you crank the octave real deep with a half-original signal feed, and use the wah. So phat.

Don

Post by Don » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:01 pm

Kewl ideas, Endocrine!

Question: does your friend use the wah to get wah-wah sounds, or as a filter?

Thnx

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:06 pm

vocal sounds