Loss of midi from Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tunedLow

Loss of midi from Voyager

Post by tunedLow » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:12 pm

I use the Voyager with Cubase SE's midi functions. Often I like to record to midi from the Voyager. But sometimes the Voyager just stops sending midi messages.

I can't find a pattern to it - it seems quite random. I don't have another midi controller to test if it's the MMV or Cubase. When this happens, I can still have Cubase send midi to the MMV, and it plays fine, but it won't go the other way.

To make it work again, I have to reboot. I've tried shutting down Cubase, the Voyager, and the sound card in different orders, to no avail. But a full reboot fixes it temporarily.

Any ideas? I'm going to post this in a Cubase forum as well. Curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with their Voyager.

Thanks

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:46 pm

Tuned -

Like you, I am also running Cubase SE. My Voyager isn't connected in my studio (where the computer is), so I can't try it right now. Hopefully this weekend. (Having posted on the Cubase forum several times with no response, I thought I would at least acknowledge your post here).

The last time I had the Voyager connected to the computer, I remember having problems getting the Voyager to control a VSTi in Cubase SE. Never figured it out, and I moved on. This may or may not have any similarity to your problem.

How long does it take before you notice the problem? What's the MIDI interface? Mac or PC?

Greg

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:01 am

This is a PC, windows 2000, Emu sound card.

Someone did reply to my Cubase forum question and suggests that it's the Voyager's midi messages that or getting currupted.

It seems to make sense, since when the problem occurs I can play Cubase's keyboard, and it will trigger the Voyager, but it will not work the other way around, that is, the Voyager can't send a midi signal to Cubase.

But the fact that restarting the Voyager doesn't fix it, only restarting the computer makes me wonder if it's not the computer's problem.

I'm going to call Moog and see if they have any suggestions. The problem isn'
t stopping me from playing, but it will happen at least once when I'm working on it (say once every 2,3 hours). It's bad enough that I really need to get it sorted out.

Thanks.

RL

Post by RL » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:08 am

*** But the fact that restarting the Voyager doesn't fix it, only restarting the computer makes me wonder if it's not the computer's problem. ***
It sounds as if a computer problem ...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:41 pm

Tuned -

Had my Voyager on all day w/Cubase SE running (over eight hours total). No MIDI issues to report with hardware or software. Sorry. :-(

Suggest you try a MIDI data display program instead of Cubase. You should be able to locate and download a freeware program for the PC off the 'net.

Let us know how it goes.

Greg

Bradley899

Re: Loss of midi from Voyager

Post by Bradley899 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 am

It seems to make sense, since when the problem occurs I can play Cubase's keyboard, and it will trigger the Voyager, but it will not work the other way around, that is, the Voyager can't send a midi signal to Cubase.

But the fact that restarting the Voyager doesn't fix it, only restarting the computer makes me wonder if it's not the computer's problem.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:14 pm

What sort of MIDI messages? Notes or other messages? If not notes it could be a controller such the mod wheel standing between two values, a lose pot sending messages or a clock pulse...

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am

Bradley899 wrote:
Sounds like the computer.
To verify it’s not Voyager try plugging it’s MIDI out into something else and play some notes.