LP Vs. MEK

Everything Phatty.
The Analog Organist

LP Vs. MEK

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 am

:?:

Has anybody compared the Little Phatty with the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard? Which has a richer sound, and which has greater capabilities? I would think the MEK would have the hands-on interface advantage.

:?:
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 am

I can't imagine how people on a Moog forum will respond to such an inquiry.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:01 am

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:07 am

Thanks, Nikola. That was perfect. I'd still like more opinions, though.

nikola

Post by nikola » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 am

you are welcome :)

actually i had to make the same decision two years ago..
and i bought LP, cous you cant get a decent filter sweep out of a MEK, and that is one of a a basic elements in electronic music.

also it seems to me that LP has more juice to a sound and more character..
MEK has more features, but i am not the "features" man, that is way i left behind PC a long time a go (PC as an instrument).

I like my less-features better-sounding LP:)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:34 am

The LP is a true analog instrument, whereas DSI utilizes digitally controlled oscillators, and features Curtis filters, which IMO, are weak. The only chips in an LP are transistor arrays, from which the oscillators, filters, VCA, and envelopes are derived. This produces a much warmer, thicker sound. The LP also has sturdier knobs than the MEK. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:45 am

Yes. I agree with Voltor07. I had evolver desktop for the past 1.5 year. It sounds so thin comparing to the same case of Moog LP.

Once I tried to resemble a saw lead which I did with Evolver but I could not do that. However hard I try, Moog Lp CAN NOT sound so thin as Evolver does. :D Because Moog LP sounds much thicker and warm. It really does.
Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Clavia Nordlead 2X, http://moogsynth.tistory.com/

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:03 am

I think it's due to the DCOs, I have the same thing with the Prophet '08. Even dual layered in unison it doesn't sound as phat as the Little Phatty. The CEM filter does sound nice in a certain soundrange but it isn't as versatile as the Moog filter in my opinion.
And hands-on control with encoders? I call that screen-on.. ;)
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Celluloide

Post by Celluloide » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:16 am

This is a short demo made with Evolver desktop.

http://vvs.x-y.net/images/evdm.mp3

Saw lead: Evolver
Bass seq. : Evolver
Drum : DR-55

That is the lead I mentioned above.
Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Clavia Nordlead 2X, http://moogsynth.tistory.com/

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I have two Prophet 08's, and I think they're fabulous; their sound quality is beautiful to my ears. I also have a Voyager Old School. There's no doubt in my mind, however, that the Moog is superior in tone. I've always preferred Moogs to all other synthesizers. But, because I may need another monophonic synthesizer, I was trying to compare the LP and the MEK. The one thing I don't like about the LP, though, is the need to assign the rotary controls to a function. The MEK has the advantage here. Yet, in the above video, the MEK filter sweep was very digital sounding; it literally stepped through the sweep, whereas the LP sweep was smooth and rich. There was no comparison between the two instruments.

I do really like the DSI instruments, and their prices are reasonable. But in my book, Moog is numero uno. Beauty of tone is more important than a vast array of capabilities. Quality over quantity is an important musical principle.

One additional compliment towards Moog: they write excellent manuals. In the earlier days, synthesizer manuals (ARP, Korg, Roland) could be intersting and informative reads. You'd gain a general knowledge of synthesis, rather than just familiarity with one instrument. I find modern instrument manuals to be extremely dry, boring, and more computer technical than musical. You read them because you have to, not because you want to. Contrary to this, the Voyager manual is an interesting and enjoyable piece of synthesizer literature. I presume this is true also of the Little Phatty manual?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:Contrary to this, the Voyager manual is an interesting and enjoyable piece of synthesizer literature. I presume this is true also of the Little Phatty manual?
It's technical when you need it to be, and yet, easy enough for someone without an engineering background to understand. Also, it gives hints and tips to improve your style. A very enjoyable read. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:54 pm

I have not played the MEK, but out of 8 synths I own, the LP and DSI Mopho are the only two I care about anymore.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Portamental wrote:I have not played the MEK, but out of 8 synths I own, the LP and DSI Mopho are the only two I care about anymore.
To quote a certain celebrity chef, those two instruments "are money". They work and play very well together. Of course, the MoPho is a single Prophet '08 voice with a few extras thrown in, so the idea of an LP/Prophet '08 pairing ain't too shabby either.

- G

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 pm

I replaced an MEK with my LP. It was a very hard decision since both instruments have alot going for them. They can make alot of the same sounds (as can be seen in the side-by-side video) but then both stretch out very far in opposite directions.

I ultimately found the LP to sound warmer and I liked the seemingly greater control (with fewer knobs) that I had with the LP. At times I miss the MEK, mind you, but I really enjoy connecting with the LP. Even though I already had a Voyager I decided to go with the LP.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:16 pm

I had both. I miss the LP. I thought the MEK while better on paper just didn't sound that great (in my opinion of course). The LP is a simpler instrument and the MEK can do crazy stuff the LP can't but in the end I wanted a warmer vintage sound. It really depends on what your needs are though.
The Analog Organist wrote:One additional compliment towards Moog: they write excellent manuals. In the earlier days, synthesizer manuals (ARP, Korg, Roland) could be intersting and informative reads. You'd gain a general knowledge of synthesis, rather than just familiarity with one instrument.
You should check out the Alesis Andromeda manual. It's sort of writtten in the old school tradition with chapters on basic synthesis as well as the tech stuff that's Andromeda specific.