Do you think an updated Analog Delay is in the works?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bryan T

Do you think an updated Analog Delay is in the works?

Post by Bryan T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:27 pm

I have no idea if an update for the delay is in the works, but thought I'd throw out some ideas.

Some possible feature additions I'd like to see:

Very short delay times for flanging effects when modulating the delay time.
Tap tempo.
More predictable/calibrated delay times for use with the MP-201
First repeat passes through the effects loop

What would you like to see?

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm

+1 all of it.

If any pedal needs an update, this is the one. With some heavy contenders on the market now, (Diamond memory lane; Empress FX Superdelay; Eventide etc) the only real thing keeping me from selling this thing is the CV control and the FX loop.

The CV control is starting to be common on a few others though... as well as having control over delay tones / modulation.

Shorter delay times, and first repeat through loop are two definite features I would like, and tap tempo would be the number one for me. We can't always have it all though.

The ability to glide the time over the difference when using tap tempo would be freaking sweet too...

Stereo delay is just going to far :)
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Alien8 wrote:+1 all of it.
The only thing I worry about is what it'll cost. The 104Z was pricey enough, so I can't imagine what tap-tempo might add to the equation.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Bryan T wrote:
Alien8 wrote:+1 all of it.
The only thing I worry about is what it'll cost. The 104Z was pricey enough, so I can't imagine what tap-tempo might add to the equation.
My guess is it would add digital electronics.

I'd like to be able to invert the output and have the tops of the knobs serrated so I could work them with a toe when it is on the floor.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Just Me wrote:My guess is it would add digital electronics.
Well, you can have digital control of a bucket brigade delay. An analog delay isn't really 'analog' in the classic sense - it still has a clock and samples the audio signal. It shouldn't be too big of a deal to add digital control to it, as other manufacturers have done so.
I'd like to be able to invert the output and have the tops of the knobs serrated so I could work them with a toe when it is on the floor.
What do you mean by 'invert the output?"

Bryan

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 pm

4 outputs. 1 dry, 1 wet, 1 mix, 1 mix polarity inverted. I use the inverted output on my other delay line more often for some interesting phase cancellation effects.
On short pulsed sounds you don't hear much sonic differance. On long sustained pad sounds, you get neat phase emphasis and cancellation when modulating the delay time with an LFO.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 pm

This would probably make the price astronomical, if it can even be done, but I would like to have a capture funtion. Not quite a standard looper and not quite infinite delay repeats. But to beable to freeze a segment of the delay repeats. So example set the delays really long with a good amount of repeats and capture the last couple repeats of a melody line to create a ghostly backdrop.

...or I guess I could put a looper after the delay, but where's the fun in that
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I can see the $1500 delay now. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 am

it'd be nice if the time cv in wasn't so touchy, so you could get a nice modulation going. Even with the attenuators on the cp unit it just sounds way too drastic.
www.ctrlshft.com

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:it'd be nice if the time cv in wasn't so touchy, so you could get a nice modulation going. Even with the attenuators on the cp unit it just sounds way too drastic.
Try it with an MP-201. You can get some really nice modulation, I think.

My favorite modulation, though, is a fairly dramatic use of a square wave LFO. You attenuate it so that it modulates the repeats up and down an octave. Hypnotic and inspiring.

I think it would be pretty sweet to include an LFO on the next version of the 104. Now we're up to a $1700 delay!

Bryan

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 am

This fictional delay pedal is going to be the size of the RME lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Bryan T wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:it'd be nice if the time cv in wasn't so touchy, so you could get a nice modulation going. Even with the attenuators on the cp unit it just sounds way too drastic.
Try it with an MP-201. You can get some really nice modulation, I think.

My favorite modulation, though, is a fairly dramatic use of a square wave LFO. You attenuate it so that it modulates the repeats up and down an octave. Hypnotic and inspiring.

I think it would be pretty sweet to include an LFO on the next version of the 104. Now we're up to a $1700 delay!

Bryan
Dramatic is nice, but just getting nice warbly but use-able delay modulation on the 104z is pretty much a no go from everything i've tried so far. I don't see how the mp-201 would be any different than using the cp-251's lfo and attenuating down the cv. In the end the time in on the 104 is still way too sensitive.
www.ctrlshft.com

Zot!

Post by Zot! » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm

For a sublte modulation that simulates "wow and flutter" I would recommend a pitch-shifting vibrato unit like EHX's Clone Theory in the delay loop. You basically wind up with a more refined Deluxe Memory Man. Unlike the Memory Man, you can make the "warble" completely out of sync with the delay effect, making it sound much more like a tape slipping intermittently. I think it's very authentic and can get dramatic or extremely subtle. Only thing that's annoying is that 1st echo that gets left out of the FX loop. Anybody ever figure out the technical reason for this?

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:51 am

I would like to have control over wet out...so you can control amount of delay
with mix knob. Yes,and FX loop upgrade!
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Right now I just wish my 104Z would work everytime I hit the button!
Think it is time to send it in for repair. It just doesn't work everytime. Bummer.