Clockwork MP-201

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Clockwork MP-201

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:47 am

Hello. I seem to be unable to open the manual of the MP-201, so i will just ask you lot :roll:

Will the MP-201 allow me to send different "clock-signals" via the 4-CV-Outputs?

For example: I send MIDI-Clock from my Alesis HR-16 to the Multipedal and then want to send:

- the clock measure divided by 2 to my Analog-Delay via CV-Output 1

and

- the clock measure divided by 4 to my Murf via CV-Output 2

Would that be possible?

If yes I will flog my RE-201 tomorrow buy the MF-104 and the MP-201;-)

Bryan T

Re: Clockwork MP-201

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:40 pm

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:Hello. I seem to be unable to open the manual of the MP-201, so i will just ask you lot :roll:

Will the MP-201 allow me to send different "clock-signals" via the 4-CV-Outputs?

For example: I send MIDI-Clock from my Alesis HR-16 to the Multipedal and then want to send:

- the clock measure divided by 2 to my Analog-Delay via CV-Output 1

and

- the clock measure divided by 4 to my Murf via CV-Output 2

Would that be possible?

If yes I will flog my RE-201 tomorrow buy the MF-104 and the MP-201;-)
Very good questions.

External MIDI clock to control a delay pedal (the MF104 at least) is not possible. You need a fixed voltage to control the delay time, not a clock, gate, or LFO. At present, there isn't a way to convert from MIDI clock to a fixed voltage level.

Controlling your MuRF should be possible. I think you'll send a gate signal that is based off of the timing of the MIDI clock. You should be able to divide that signal in many different ways.

Bryan

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 pm

@Bryan
Thanks;-) I have already managed to "sync" the Murf to the MIDI Clock of my MicroKorg via a Doepfer MIDI/CV interface. I should be able to do the same with the analogue delay shouldn't I? Couldn't the MP-201 be my replacement MIDI/CV interface? The MP-201 can receive MIDI Clock right? It would be oh so fabulous to steer these two pedals in the described manner...

Would "programming" the MP-201 to send different tempos on the separate CV-Outputs be a complicated thing to do?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:13 pm

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:@Bryan
Thanks;-) I have already managed to "sync" the Murf to the MIDI Clock of my MicroKorg via a Doepfer MIDI/CV interface.
That worked because of how the MuRF receives its time information. The analog delay works differently.
I should be able to do the same with the analogue delay shouldn't I?
No. The 104 gets its delay time from a fixed voltage level, not from a clock, gate, or LFO. The MP201 would need to convert the clock tempo to a fixed voltage level. It doesn't do that. There's a good thread on the issues involved elsewhere in this forum.
The MP-201 can receive MIDI Clock right?
Definitely, though it works best over a MIDI cable. USB was a bit buggy the last time I tried it.
Would "programming" the MP-201 to send different tempos on the separate CV-Outputs be a complicated thing to do?
Not tough at all. As it is, I think you could sync four MuRFs to different divisions of the same MIDI clock.

Bryan

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Read through this thread on tap tempo issues with the 104 and MP-201 combo for some insight into how the two interface.

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5710

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:54 am

Thank you ever so much for the information! Really helped alot, especially the information that the tempo on the MF-104 is controlled over a fix voltage level is usefull.

I will read the other thread in a second. While we're at it though:

Does a table exist that would allow to know what voltage level corresponds with which bpm level? I was wondering about the same thing for my LP. This way I could steer the MURF with the clock signal and the MF-104 with a fix voltage level via separate CV-Outputs right?

Thanks!

(By the way a band member owns a CP-251. Maybe that allows further tricks to be played;-))

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am

MichaelPeterTrowbridge wrote:Does a table exist that would allow to know what voltage level corresponds with which bpm level?
Not that I'm aware of, though it wouldn't be too hard to come up with one on your own. One issue is that different pedals are calibrated differently. Additionally, temperature changes how the analog delay responds, meaning that different voltages will give different delay times at different temps.

I had a great preset on my MP-201 that would change the delay time between two settings with an LFO, but I constantly had to calibrate it. The two settings that I chose would cause the delay repeats to drop an octave in pitch and then jump up an octave in pitch with the LFO tempo. It sounded amazing, but was a bit of a pain to keep in tune from day to day.
(By the way a band member owns a CP-251. Maybe that allows further tricks to be played;-))
Definitely. You can do a lot with either the CP-251 or the MP-201 and even more with both. They are both great pieces of equipment.

Bryan

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Amos?