Volta + LP

Everything Phatty.
peterhz55

Volta + LP

Post by peterhz55 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Has anyone else been trying Volta with the LP? This sounded like a great way to better integrate the LP into my daily composition work that is otherwise all computer based.

I bought a copy of Volta before I noticed that the Moog Little Phatty is not on the MOTU list of supported synths. I have been unable to calibrate the LP from Volta, which in my understanding means that Volta won't work with the LP. 
I think I had all the connections correct. The Volta and LP were communicating- when I had the calibration screen up on Volta, and played on the LP keyboard, I could see the red calibration indicators move as I played up and down the keyboard.
I assumed that if Volta works with Moog Voyager, it should also work with the LP.
I'm wondering if the key problem is in the description in the manual for calibrating the Voyager-- "Switch Env. Gate to On/External"- is there an equivalent for the LP?

Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe somebody already knows if the LP + Volta will work together?

Peter Hannan

theglyph

Re: Volta + LP

Post by theglyph » Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 am

peterhz55 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe somebody already knows if the LP + Volta will work together?
Peter,

This is a great question and something I'm very interested in! Volta + LP = WIN!! :D

I'll look into this and see what is possible.

Cheers,
theglyph

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Volta + LP = WIN!! :D
Yes indeed!

Thanks for checking this out.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sun May 31, 2009 8:08 pm

I don't see why the LP wouldn't work with Volta. I would make sure that you turn off auto-tune on the LP, as that might be confusing Volta's tuning algorithm.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:04 am

So if I have a Presonus Firestudio, which has 8 analog outs, I would have an 8 channels of CV controls....I must look into this...
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

sine

Post by sine » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:43 am

peterhz55 wrote:Has anyone else been trying Volta with the LP? This sounded like a great way to better integrate the LP into my daily composition work that is otherwise all computer based.

I bought a copy of Volta before I noticed that the Moog Little Phatty is not on the MOTU list of supported synths. I have been unable to calibrate the LP from Volta, which in my understanding means that Volta won't work with the LP. 
I think I had all the connections correct. The Volta and LP were communicating- when I had the calibration screen up on Volta, and played on the LP keyboard, I could see the red calibration indicators move as I played up and down the keyboard.
I assumed that if Volta works with Moog Voyager, it should also work with the LP.
I'm wondering if the key problem is in the description in the manual for calibrating the Voyager-- "Switch Env. Gate to On/External"- is there an equivalent for the LP?

Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe somebody already knows if the LP + Volta will work together?

Peter Hannan
Interesting question. And in conjunction with Bryan T's comment, I wonder if the LP's calibration Look Up Table is overriding external pitch CV.

Peter, try using a different MIDI keyboard (not the LP's) to make Volta send pitch CV to the LP. Alternately, you can turn MIDI Local Control off on the LP. With Local Control off the keyboard is disconnected from the LP's sound engine, but the keyboard still transmits MIDI. This way you can address Volta, but the LP's LUT will be out of the picture.

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions

It may be that the LP tune function is what's preventing the calibration. I hope I can try this later today or tomorrow...
I only mention playing on the LP keyboard to say that the machines were communicating- one of the points of volta is in being able to play the LP via voltage control from a MIDI synth-- but I think that's only possible once calibration from Volta has been achieved. I got no action from my MIDI keyboard the other day when I was trying the setup.

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:54 pm

I did have a chance to try to tuning thing- didn't solve the problem. I think its something in the envelope area....

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm very interested in Volta for my Voyager, too bad it's only for MAC's.

I recently emailed MOTU about a PC version of Volta and they said it's not in the works, but they would pass my request for a Windows version on to their design team.

I love this software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyHtyylDmJ4

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm

This was my reply from the MOTU tech people about my inability to calibrate the LP from Volta.

"Since a monosynth's oscillators are usually not fully exposed like modular oscillators are, oscillator calibration can be more difficult. If the synth can produce an uninterrupted, unfiltered, simple waveform without pitch or amplitude modulation and the oscillator's pitch modulation input accepts V/octave or Hz/V CV, then Volta should be able to calibrate the oscillator. There's a video that describes the calibration process with a monosynth at the bottom of this page: motu.com: Volta Calibration

There are additional Volta calibration tips here: MOTU TechNotes: Volta Oscillator Calibration Tips"

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:27 pm

and further from MOTU

"When Volta begins the calibration test, it transmits a pitch CV signal to the oscillator. The plug-in does not produce a trigger or gate CV signal during calibration. The VCA should be set so that the synth produces a continuous tone."

I don't know of a way to do this on the LP. Any suggestions?

Peter Hannan

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:12 pm

peterhz55 wrote:and further from MOTU

"When Volta begins the calibration test, it transmits a pitch CV signal to the oscillator. The plug-in does not produce a trigger or gate CV signal during calibration. The VCA should be set so that the synth produces a continuous tone."

I don't know of a way to do this on the LP. Any suggestions?

Peter Hannan
Plug a 1/4" plug (I use an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter for a set of headphones) into the KB Gate. Instant drone.

I think you'll want to turn off the auto-tune mode on the LP.

Bryan

peterhz55

Post by peterhz55 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks Bryan!

Brilliant suggestion, and furthermore, it worked. We have achieved calibration!
The next question will be whether Volta + LP will produce more interesting results than MIDI + LP.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm

peterhz55 wrote:Thanks Bryan!

Brilliant suggestion, and furthermore, it worked. We have achieved calibration!
Awesome! Glad you're up a running.

Volta looks like such cool technology.