Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Everything Phatty.
Amos

Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Post by Amos » Wed May 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi all,

We're always working on something new here in the Moog Lab,
and one idea that we've been talking about recently is how cool it would be to have some control voltage outputs from the Little Phatty. That would make it the perfect little controller for your modular gear, Moogerfoogers, and more! Not to mention, it would open up a host of possibilities for patching modulations back and forth between the Voyager and the LP.

So, it will take some R&D work to make this idea a reality. One thing that would be very useful would be to know how many people would be willing to send in their LP and pay for this upgrade.

The final feature set has not been established yet, but I'm thinking that the essential CV outputs to have would be Pitch-CV, KB Gate, Mod Wheel, and LFO output. Outputs would be on 1/4" jacks. The best place to put these jacks is probably on the front edge of the left-hand controller (the vertical surface, where it won't get in the way of your left hand).

If this is something you would definitely go for, please email amos a.t moogmusic d.o.t c.o.m and let me know! I will need your name and contact info, and then I can get in touch with you once this modification is ready to go.

Pricing will be determined by how much work is involved in doing the mod, but if you want to you can also let me know what you think a fair price for this extra feature set would be.

Also, if there are any other output signals that you thing are absolutely essential to have, please let me know; you can use this thread for further discussion of this idea.

Thanks for your help in continuing to make the Little Phatty the coolest little monosynth on the planet. :-)

Kind regards,

Amos

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed May 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Now that is something to get excited about!

One application I am very interested in is using the Ring Mod as a tracking ring mod, so I'd need to attenuate the Pitch CV signal to get it to track correctly. Being able to attenuate the CVs on the Little Phatty would be ideal.

This also makes the FreqBox quite a bit more interesting to me . . .

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed May 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Wow!! Just saw this.

I've been meaning to do this for some time now.

I guess My LP can be the guinea pig! :mrgreen:

nextaz

Post by nextaz » Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 pm

hello

super idea!!!!

im very interested in that and also i could be extragreat to have have audio IN/OUT before filter...

nextaz

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Of course I'm interested in this! :shock: I just wonder what will become of the mods I have done myself on my LP if I send it in. :? I'll send an e-mail, Amos. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed May 27, 2009 7:28 pm

I'll definitely send some thoughts out on this too, awesome.
www.ctrlshft.com

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Awesome!
Little Phatty Stage II, CP-251, MF-102

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Figured I might as well cover publicly what i'd like to see in this thread:

CV OUTS for: KB Gate, Pitch CV, LFO, bare minimum.

I'd also definitely like volume and filter envelopes to be available if possible.

Figured a mod like this would be worth a good 200 bucks, but heck if i know, maybe it'd be a lot more to do this. I probably wouldn't drop a WHOLE lot more than that though. Unless they added a ton of new CV stuff.

Maybe a couple new mods for additional cv inputs too, LFO & Pulse With Modulation anyone? :)
www.ctrlshft.com

dave500

Post by dave500 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 pm

I'll get mine updated again.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

anaivemistake

Post by anaivemistake » Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 pm

a couple hundred bucks would be cool. I love my little phatty and making it more versatile is always an invitation I'm willing to listen to. The LFO out is the big seller for me.

Little Phatty, mf 101, mf 102, mf 104, mf 105, mf 107, Dot com synth, future retro xs, future retro mobius, future retro revolution

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 am

possible field update ?
if yes count me in !

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 am

I'd rather have a CV in for the LFO rate and amount, just personally, it'd free up my hands a bit more as opposed to when I do those wild LFO solos. If I owned a few more Foogers I'd definitely consider getting this upgrade though.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Thu May 28, 2009 6:39 am

That's a *superb* idea and I'd definitely be interested. But two of the three CVs I need the most aren't on your short list. What I really want is: (i) Env CV out (could be filter or pitch envelope); (ii) Mod wheel amount *in*, and; (iii) Pitch out. Since I've already got a bunch of Moogerfoogers, including a CP-251, LFO out and on-board attenuation aren't that useful to me.

Any mod involving those three and costing up to about $400 I would definitely go for. I'd probably also go for the version you first described, but that's less certain and I'd probably want it to be more around $200-300.

Thanks for considering this ... I've thought for a long time that an LP with some well-chosen CV outs would be a dream machine.

P.S. If possible, I'd like a breakout box format even more :D

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 am

... sounds great. maybe put the jacks on the other side panel? Lotsa space inside the LP, if I remember correctly.

..would love to see it as a field upgrade... maybe 300., 400. + shipping if ya send it in to Moog. Just wild guesses, of course.

...maybe the marketing guys can come up with a bundle deal - "50% off the MoogerFooger of your choice with factory CV upgrade" or something like that. In any case, definitely going to make the LP a live performance monster. thanks, jgirv

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 am

I don't know if it would even be close to possible, but since the midi info is available, maybe.

A KB gate and Pitch CV for a 2nd and 3rd voice would be nice.

The LFO out has me excited just to be able to use on board LFO to mod the amplitude and the sustain. ENV out is would be super too.