Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Of course, there's no reason why the LPRME and LP semi-modular couldn't be the same beast...
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Excellent point, Matt! :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:27 pm

A couple more thoughts on the way Stage III could evolve:

1) Select Series Phatties. All LED color and wood types currently available to the Voyager would be available for selection w/ the phatty. Blue LEDs are already out there, so this seems like a great "next step". It might even be implementable before Stage III ever comes out.

2) A dedicated mixer section: Incoming audio currently has no way to be attenuated w/o doing it externally, I'd really like a way to turn down my MF-107 as it comes in there that doesn't involve more patch cables. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:32 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:A couple more thoughts on the way Stage III could evolve:

1) Select Series Phatties. All LED color and wood types currently available to the Voyager would be available for selection w/ the phatty. Blue LEDs are already out there, so this seems like a great "next step". It might even be implementable before Stage III ever comes out.

2) A dedicated mixer section: Incoming audio currently has no way to be attenuated w/o doing it externally, I'd really like a way to turn down my MF-107 as it comes in there that doesn't involve more patch cables. :)
Hmm...interesting. A mixer section would take up the whole left side panel, I reckon. The LP Select would be an awesome thing, for sure! 8)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Voltor07 wrote: Hmm...interesting. A mixer section would take up the whole left side panel, I reckon. The LP Select would be an awesome thing, for sure! 8)
Maybe a more practical (and cost effective) way to do it would be to just add another advanced preset option where you could attenuate the audio input signal? They'd still probably need to change the actual hardware to make that possible, but I don't think it'd be that tough to do, or really costly at all.
www.ctrlshft.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:53 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote: Maybe a more practical (and cost effective) way to do it would be to just add another advanced preset option where you could attenuate the audio input signal? They'd still probably need to change the actual hardware to make that possible, but I don't think it'd be that tough to do, or really costly at all.
That's a better, more realistic solution. :D

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Assar wrote:- High pass filter and maybe a band pass filter
I'd like to see the high pass, definitely. I really dig being able to select the number of poles on the LP right now, and a high pass would be killer.
Has Moog ever released a synth with something other than their standard 4-pole ladder? Something that sounded a bit different?
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm

soundxplorer wrote: Has Moog ever released a synth with something other than their standard 4-pole ladder? Something that sounded a bit different?
Yes. It was called PolyMoog. Also, the Liberation had a weaker sounding filter, as did the MG-1 and Satellite. Not sure if those weren't Moog ladder filters per se, but they were a weaker sound. :wink:

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Total filter control like the Vermona Cross Filter... HighPass, LowPass, BandPass w/notch, etc.. http://www.vermona.com/index.php?en_cf

Btw, is there another alternative to the Cross Filter out there?
I'd like to know in case the Vermona isn't available for some reason.. I'm thinking about getting one.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:17 pm

One major thing that would make it easier for touring musicians who have to get gear backlined:

A USB port so we can plug in a memory stick to load our patches into the machine.

Aftertouch would be great.

Otherwise, for the price, I think it's pretty much perfect.

Maybe a 10 key pad to directly punch in patches.

That would be great for live stuff.

More memory for internal sounds???

Really the first two I mentioned would be the most important ones for me.

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 pm

More sources/destinations, CV i/o and an extra lfo. That would be great!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri May 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I was afraid, before purchasing the LP, of the small number of knobs for the so many things it had to control. My fears turned out unfounded and i can't believe how easy and logical the unit is. I am so impressed. The way the arpegiator was added using existing hardware ressources was a stroke of genius IMHO. I can't imagine adding all that much without hardware changes and adding anything sofware only will probably mean more level down submenus, which is not a good thing. So I won't go into anything heavy, other than to mention a sequencer would be nice.

I had two (a bit annoying) pet peeves about the LP, now down to one.

1- Every knob on the panel is an invitation for tweaking. I could not believe the finetune knob right were it was, on the panel. It should be on the side panel or at the back, somewhere harder to reach. Not an issue anymore since there is a setting in Advanced to disable it.

2- The legato setting, on the other hand is of critical importance, and sometimes I make two similar patches with different legato settings in order not to go into Master mode. As pet peeve number one is now solved (always was), that suddenly makes a hardware knob available to assign to some other function. Could be assignable to many things but I would have it assigned to legato setting and I'd be in heaven. Bury the option 10 menu levels down, i don't care, if my favorite setting now moves right on the front panel, where it should have been all along.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Portamental, that is an incredibly awesome, simple, awesomely simple idea! :shock:

jgirv

WAVE button idea

Post by jgirv » Sun May 17, 2009 6:51 am

agreed, voltor... any use of the existing hardware like that would be most excellent... I find a pedal connected to the Filter cutoff to be the single best accessory you can have... frees up your hands for every other tweak... I love the continuously variable waveforms for the Oscillators, but how about
"press the WAVE button once to select and use the pot to change it, press it repeatedly to cycle through the 4 basic shapes" ... might be useful for quick switching between triangle and pulse waves, for instance. And both WAVE buttons could function this way.

Voltor07

Re: WAVE button idea

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:22 pm

jgirv wrote:/snip/I love the continuously variable waveforms for the Oscillators, but how about
"press the WAVE button once to select and use the pot to change it, press it repeatedly to cycle through the 4 basic shapes" ... might be useful for quick switching between triangle and pulse waves, for instance. And both WAVE buttons could function this way.
This would be good. Then the knob would act as a fine tune to get the wave shape perfect. Nice idea! :D Also, program the knob lights to go to what wave shape was chosen using the buttons, and tweak to perfection WITHOUT going to a different waveform.