Tell us about yourself....

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 am

Gamaliel wrote:Hiyas Matt,I shave my dome as well,the way I look at it is God only made a few perfect heads.....the rest have hair :lol:
I have a few nasty scars on my head [from, respectively, the recoil of a 40mm Bofors gun, a fight with marines in Seattle, a cycling accident], so it's far from perfect. But I'm a college professor and it scares the bleep out of my students. Keeps 'em in line.
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

You can just tell them that the doctors have been trying to sample and hold your brain but you thwart their attempts.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 pm

EricK wrote:You can just tell them that the doctors have been trying to sample and hold your brain but you thwart their attempts.

Eric
Not the doctors...the aliens! :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

gardenofdreams

Post by gardenofdreams » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi guys i'm new here, i only discovered this forum the other day.

What brought me to this forum mainly is that i'm trying to understand what Synth was used on Todd Rundgren's 'A wizard a true star' album. It was this album that really got me into synthesis, but i can't seem to find any info on what synth was used on that album anywhere. I do have a feeling it was a Minimoog as the album was out in the early 70's when the Minimoog came out. I just wondered if anyone actually knew so i can finally lay this to rest :D

I'd be very greatful for any help!

Thanks!

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm 16, and I like Moog stuff. I'd been fascinated with synthesizers since I saw some modular synthesizers in a museum, and heard the Bladerunner soundtrack.
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm 17 and have been into synths since I got a breadboard and some schematics for my 14th B-day. I've been into Moogs since I was 15, when my dad took me on a factory tour. My jazz band instructor thought very highly of Dr. Moog (I believe he had done some pit orchestration gigs with him back in the day), and he encouraged me to check it out, as it was a "whole other universe, man". Moog's such a great company; everyone was so nice and didn't treat me like the pretentious little aspiring musician that I was when I visited. Aside from Moogs, I fix up old Rhodes pianos and Hammond organs... I feel so lucky for all the stuff that's out there for kids nowadays!
Moog LP TE

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:24 pm

I might as well get in on this. I'm in my 50's and have listened to weird and off the wall stuff my entire life. I've lived in Chicago, L.A. and Phx for long periods and been all over the rest of the country. In 1974/5 along with 2 friends, built a modular synth from plans in Radio Electronics magazine. We used to fight over who could play it and who could make the coolest sounds! In the 77-8 I Moved to Chicago and worked at a music store in Wauconda and started collecting old guitars. The music store in Barrington got an ARP2600 in and I went and played it and was hooked. I could not afford it. (was over $3000 if I remember right) I ended up with a minikorg 700 at the time. Started selling guitars. (Gibson double neck, Rick 2002 bass, Les Paul Studio, Martin Acoustic and Gibson mandolin) Bought a Model D (used). Soon after managed to pick up a used Mellotron. Hauled these around for a few years until rent became more important. Moved back to AZ and part timed in Scottsdale working on amps, keys and mixers in a repair shop. Then, in the mid 80's when digital was becoming king and people were dumping their analog mono synths I was able to buy 2 ARP 2600's for under $300 each! I also picked up my first B3 at the time from a music auction. Started playing with samplers and digital stuff then also and the collection went through a Memorymoog (Zon Vern Pyles bought my Memorymoog and one of the 2600's back then. We worked at competing music stores but were friends, anyway!) Ensoniq Mirage, ESQ-1 and SQD-80, Sequential Multitrack, Tom and Pro-1 and an Octave Cat. (all sold, some missed) Can you tell what brands my music store carried??
Quit playing for a number of years and started to get the itch again about 10 years ago. A couple local music stores used to help me 'hunt dinosaurs' and I was able to pick up the ARPs I now have for no more than $25 each! I think I paid around 200 for the JX-3P/MKS-20 setup. Bought the PX-800 from a store going out of business for .25 on the dollar, found a couple Hammonds on Craigslist and got a smoking deal on the Signature on eBay.
During all this time, I've played bass, run sound, done engineering for a few somewhat known bands. (And there have been a bunch more guitars and basses through the door.)
I've always been a better technologist than player and because of that, am building my own analog studio. I want to be able to put all these machines together and don't have Wakeman or Emersons talent to play them all at once.
I do know that over the years, I've ticked off my friends who were trying to make a living playing. I had all the cool gear and only used it at home to 'make noise'. Would let them borrow it in the studio. Something about haveing "REAL" jobs and an income! :)
That's enough rambling for now, Just got the 351 installed in the Voyager last night and want to continue experimenting with reversing envelopes with the 251's output attenuators. (I missed that ability on the Voyager almost instantly!)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Jeez talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Ill give you 50 bucks for that arp lololol.

How about a little bit of that ABE LINCOLN for that? :lol:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

rico1980

Post by rico1980 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:05 pm

gardenofdreams wrote:Hi guys i'm new here, i only discovered this forum the other day.

What brought me to this forum mainly is that i'm trying to understand what Synth was used on Todd Rundgren's 'A wizard a true star' album. It was this album that really got me into synthesis, but i can't seem to find any info on what synth was used on that album anywhere. I do have a feeling it was a Minimoog as the album was out in the early 70's when the Minimoog came out. I just wondered if anyone actually knew so i can finally lay this to rest :D

I'd be very greatful for any help!

Thanks!
Well, I can't give you a definitive answer but.... On the inside gatefold of "Something/Anything" there's a picture of Todd and you can see - just to his right near the floor - an EMS VCS3. Given that "Wizard" was the album right after "Something/Anything" it's quite possible that the VCS3 made a lot of the synth noise on "Wizard." By the same token, while I believe Todd played all the instruments on the the first half of "Wizard," many of the future members of Utopia Mk. 1 played on the second half (or side 2 as we used to say in the analog days). And those guys had LOTS of synths. In fact, one of those players, Mark Klingman, was nicknamed "moogy." So there may well be some Moog on Wizard as well. It's a wild ride regardless.

Rick

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Which ones did you want? :twisted:

I've got a bunch more Ultimate Support stand stuff coming so I can get it all off the floor this weekend.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

calaverasgrande

hi folks

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 pm

I finally got my grubby hands on a Realistic MG1. For some this may abe a red headed step child. Or if you are a Motion city soundtrack fan an interesting souvenir. For me it was my first experience with synthesis back in 1981 or 1980 or so. I used to hang out at radio shack when mom shopped for groceries next door. When I discoverd the MG1 I was hooked. It only took me 27 years to get around to buying one!
Seem my luck plane was never slanted just right for a MG1 to fall into my lap. Well a few weeks ago the right one showed up on ebay and somehow stayed under $400 until the last minute when I bid on it. It is pretty nice condition. Only missing one slider knob.
All the horrow stories about the black goo did not prepare me for the nastiness that dwells beneath. I am 3 hours into cleaning that beastly goo. Probably another 2 to go. I suppose I will need to swap a few faders and pots out soon, but most everything works now.
It doesnt go quite as low as I recall, and the bell tone just adds a little grit to the mix. So I might need to muck around inside and replace some caps and chips. I will probably also put a 1/4" jack on the output as well.
But right now its perfect. the last 4 songs I recorded have MG1 ALL OVER them!

ClockworkRobot

Post by ClockworkRobot » Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi. I'm new to this board. I'm an artist and designer and recently I've been designing simple electronics kits. I'm not very expert at electronics but I'm quite good at putting an odd twist on things.
Being a total scifi geek, I've always wanted a theremin and being a cheap Scotsman I got a paia theremx. After playing around with that for a bit I wanted more 'noises' so since I am also a huge Doctor Who fan I got a moog MF102 so i could also do Dalek voices :)... and as I'm sure a few folks here realze.. there's just something very moreish about moog kit, so after designing a few very basic electronic music inspirational toys, see my solar powered theremin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jsixGG6k8
and my mint tin modular synth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6sFgGmY5G0
I needed MORE MOOG so I got myself a Moog rogue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7u1BbkPZNA
The greatest tragedy of my life is I don't have a musical bone in my body :(

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon May 11, 2009 5:39 pm

ClockworkRobot wrote:The greatest tragedy of my life is I don't have a musical bone in my body :(
Maybe save up for a Buchla? :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:35 pm

I need that sequencer! :shock: It's amazing! And small! And amazingly small! Brilliant, I say! And I have no musical bones either, so don't feel too bad about that. Experimental noise is my specialty. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

spittingoutteeth

Post by spittingoutteeth » Tue May 12, 2009 11:20 am

ClockworkRobot wrote:The greatest tragedy of my life is I don't have a musical bone in my body :(
Brian Eno said the same thing & he ended up ok :wink:

Guess this as good a time as any to introduce myself.....

My name is Jay and I'm an experimental musician from Burlington, VT. I helped establish a local music collective Aether Everywhere and oversee my of the experimental music forums on their website (www.aethereverywhere.com/discuss/)

I'm currently involved in three different projects:

1) VIKOMT - a solo project focusing on analog synth drones and harsh ambient textures. http://www.myspace.com/vikomt

2) Solah - a doom metal/dark ambient project with percussionist JB LeDoux. http://www.solahtheband.blogspot.com

3) Yellowknife - an ecclectic ambient project with Josh LaClair which incorporates computer processed drones, ambient synth textures, field recordings, found sounds & other instrumentation.

Just bought my first Moog (a Minimoog Voyager Select Series) a couple months ago. Absolutely love it & it has opened up my sound quite a bit.
[b]ΔΔΔ MARS PYRAMID RECORDS ΔΔΔ[/b] - www.marspyramid.com
www.myspace.com/marspyramid
[b]Aether Everywhere Records[/b] - www.aethereverywhere.com
[b]VIKOMT[/b] [i](harsh drones)[/i] - www.myspace.com/vikomt