What rack do you use for a Voyager RME?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tubeampguy

What rack do you use for a Voyager RME?

Post by tubeampguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 pm

I am planning a portable rig to gig with and I'm wondering what rack do you use for a Voyager RME? I want to use a SKB pop up style rack but I am not sure of the depth of the RME fitting in that style rack? If you have pictures to post that would be super!

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm

I use an OSP mixer rack cabinet, its a 20 space and had 20 spaces on the top.

Do a google search for OSP rack and youll find it.. THey are pretty cheap and made here in Arkansas and can be bought online.

You have seen pictures of it, I think the RME would go nicely on the top rack to help distribute the weight that the Foogers take up, making it front heavy since its standard depth but the foogers are very thin.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:07 am

EricK wrote:I use an OSP mixer rack cabinet, its a 20 space and had 20 spaces on the top.

Do a google search for OSP rack and youll find it.. THey are pretty cheap and made here in Arkansas and can be bought online.

You have seen pictures of it, I think the RME would go nicely on the top rack to help distribute the weight that the Foogers take up, making it front heavy since its standard depth but the foogers are very thin.

Eric
Thanks for the input Erick. I have SKB 20" deep 24 space racks in my studio for my recording gear.

I am a one man show and I have to load and unload all my gear with NO help from others, so I'm looking at smaller rack cases. I just can't decide if I'm going to use pop up style or ATA 300 14" deep effects style racks. I still haven't figure out the depth of a Voyager RME, this alone would help me move forward on this project.

Also routing the DB-25 cables from the back of the RME to the front inputs of the VX-351/352 looks like they need a single rack rail hole space to let the cables pass through. They (Moog) should redesign these unit with DB 25 panel mounts on the back to fix this very problem. AND further more the depth and unique shape of the RME plus the way the panel mounts protrude off the very back(they should be on the top angle of the back) create a depth constraint for the pop up style rack. This means connecting and unconnecting cables every time to want to use them. Even with right angle DB adapters this still isn't a real fix. That is why I asked the forum for suggestion and pictures. I know I'm not the only one trying to do this the right way. I'm trying to build a usable modular with all this current Moog products. MP-201, Moogerfooger pedals, CP-251 controllers, Voyager RME with VX-351/352 expanders. You get the picture. :?:

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:17 am

Well,
The mixer racks have a door on the back with access to the stuff inside. That door has a hole for cords to come out.

Id like to see this show!

Eric

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 am

EricK wrote:Well,
The mixer racks have a door on the back with access to the stuff inside. That door has a hole for cords to come out.

Id like to see this show!

Eric

The problem I've seen so far is mixer racks (The smaller ones) arn't deep enough for the RME depth.

I think your a long ways for the west coast :D But I will shoot Mini DV and post it online when I'm up and running. The locals here don't have Moog products (as I've seen, so far) I'm being called "That Moog guy" They trip out on my sounds from the Moogerfoogers. I haven't showed them the Etherwave Plus yet! :twisted:

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:37 am

See, this is a full size rack cabinet so that theres 10 spaces on the top. Its probably 20 inches + deep from the front. Theres a door on the back that opens.

If you got something like this, you could put the RME on the bottom or the top and still have enough rooom for 12 spaces to hold all your rack mounted FOogers. I know you already said that this is too much for you but this is one of the most portable ways to do it. ALl you have to have is a truck to lug it around.

Since it is so deep with just the Foogers racked it is front heavy. Maybe an RME in the top would worsen that. In the bottom it would be fine but do you want to bend down and make adjustments?

Im going to have 2 of these racks. So theres 5 foogers on one side and 5 on the other and fill the rest up with module rack frames and Dotcom/other Modules.

Eric
Last edited by EricK on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 am

OSP's are made in Arkansas. Free shipping in the USA

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/store/ ... ategory=65

Image $449

Image $419 with tilt adjustable mixer rack.

SkylerStupid

Post by SkylerStupid » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 am

tubeampguy wrote:
Also routing the DB-25 cables from the back of the RME to the front inputs of the VX-351/352 looks like they need a single rack rail hole space to let the cables pass through. They (Moog) should redesign these unit with DB 25 panel mounts on the back to fix this very problem. AND further more the depth and unique shape of the RME plus the way the panel mounts protrude off the very back(they should be on the top angle of the back) create a depth constraint for the pop up style rack. This means connecting and unconnecting cables every time to want to use them. Even with right angle DB adapters this still isn't a real fix.
i'm having the same exact issue. ideally, i wanted to rackmount both the voyager + the cv expanders in a small, portable, 8U rack case. however, because of the extremely awkward placement of the DB-25 cables, this is not possible.

i'm thinking about ordering this case, but still need to measure out the depth of the voyager to see if it will fit: http://www.gatorcases.com/productsmodel ... 77&MID=315

i plan to mount the vx-351 + vx-352 on the bottom rack (and leave one space empty for the DB-25 cables), and on the top rack i could have the RME + a pair of cp-251s + my audio interface + maybe a crusty old compressor or reverb unit?

hope this helps! if you find a better solution keep me updated :)

tubeampguy

Re: What rack do you use for a Voyager RME?

Post by tubeampguy » Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 pm

tubeampguy wrote:I am planning a portable rig to gig with and I'm wondering what rack do you use for a Voyager RME? I want to use a SKB pop up style rack but I am not sure of the depth of the RME fitting in that style rack? If you have pictures to post that would be super!
Update: The depth of a RME is 7.25. (I found it in the RME manual) For it to fit in a pop up SKB rack you have to reverse the rack rails on the unit to lessen the depth dimension.