little phatty SE 2 as usb to midi adapter?

Everything Phatty.
wetbiscuit

little phatty SE 2 as usb to midi adapter?

Post by wetbiscuit » Sun May 03, 2009 11:40 am

hello

ive been trying to wrestle with this for a couple of hours now, i bought logic studio yesterday (been using cubase since atari st and ableton since forever) but never tried this before, im trying to control my quasimidi 309 and technox synth module in logic but using the little phatty as the midi connection to the mac.

is this possible?

or am I being dumb, again . . . ;)

thanks in advance!

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Sun May 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Try the logic forums http://www.logicprohelp.com/

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Mon May 04, 2009 3:28 am

This is how it works for me: plug in usb cable from Lp to computer, select any software instr channel with any syth or whatever, Play keys on Lp...
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

wetbiscuit

Post by wetbiscuit » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 am

Johnny_Cradle wrote:This is how it works for me: plug in usb cable from Lp to computer, select any software instr channel with any syth or whatever, Play keys on Lp...
thanks, but that bit is not the problem, im trying to use the LP as a midi interface for all my other kit too, I can control the LP from the mac and play soft synths on the mac with the LP but I cant even see any of the midi devices after the LP . . .

ive been told to buy a MOTU micro lite USB/Midi box. . . . .

will report back if it works.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 am

Yeah, I think the extra USB/MIDI box is the best way to go.

The problem shouldn't have anything to do with what software you are using, it's the fact that the Moog LP doesn't have a MIDI THRU port. Also, according to my Stage 1 manual:

"The LP can only send and receive on one channel at a time, but each channel can be set independently."

That would really limit your options too, even if you got it to work. I don't know if they expanded the MIDI implementation for the Stage II.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

wetbiscuit

Post by wetbiscuit » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 pm

soundxplorer wrote:Yeah, I think the extra USB/MIDI box is the best way to go.

The problem shouldn't have anything to do with what software you are using, it's the fact that the Moog LP doesn't have a MIDI THRU port. Also, according to my Stage 1 manual:

"The LP can only send and receive on one channel at a time, but each channel can be set independently."

That would really limit your options too, even if you got it to work. I don't know if they expanded the MIDI implementation for the Stage II.
cheers for that, i've tried all yesterday and today and still cant get it working, what your saying makes sense :)

im off to buy the midi usb thingymajig to solve the prob.

cheers

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I might be a bit late to the conversation, but you can do some of this stuff via the LP by using its "midi merge" options, found on the Master Menu->Midi Setup. Merge USB IN to DIN OUT means that messages you send from your computer to the Phatty via USB are also sent out the Little Phatty's standard MIDI output... while Merge DIN in to USB out means that any MIDI from the outside world that you send to the Little Phatty's standard MIDI input are also sent into the computer via the USB.

This is not the best all-purpose solution however, as you will get tighter timing for your external gear if it's on a dedicated MIDI interface, and also the LP's midi merge function does not merge MIDI clocks.

Cheers,

Amos